Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/o What is wrong with WhatsApp?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 3:48 pm
I see so many posters mention WhatsApp in the same category as Instagram and Facebook and something to strive to remove from their lives. I also have friends who won’t install WhatsApp for spiritual reasons. This is something I never understood, as to me, WhatsApp functions the same way my texting app does. It’s just another way to write messages to people, with the added convenience of voice notes. I am part of some group chats but I have most of them muted because I don’t feel like having them blow up my phone. I understand the aversion to Instagram, as I also get pulled in by glamorous pictures of people living their best lives. Respectfully, can someone explain the “dark side” of WhatsApp to me? What am I missing here?

yksraya

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 4:00 pm
There is no dark side if you use it appropriately.

Imo, joining groups, can be problematic, especially for teens. You gotta be careful there. But that is basic internet safety and awareness, not just on what's app.

Maybe those people had bad encounters, or in general got too addicted etc.

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 4:03 pm
From the way you said you use it I see no dark side.
There was some mention to group chats being a problem but I dont think it ever panned out or was verified to be a problem. I also try to stay off Instagram but use WhatsApp daily for business.

yksraya

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 4:08 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
From the way you said you use it I see no dark side.
There was some mention to group chats being a problem but I dont think it ever panned out or was verified to be a problem. I also try to stay off Instagram but use WhatsApp daily for business.

On groups, you can see the other users phone #. So it's very easy for perps to then go text volnurable teens. That's a huge obvious problem...

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 4:09 pm
As an aside there can be group text messages too on regular messaging.
I agree with OP and use it as a regular messaging app but now with status and business accounts I can also see where it is considered social media as opposed to messaging.
However, most of these outcries against whatsapp came out before many of the upgrades and changes.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 4:11 pm
It leads to mixed dancing.

thanks

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:15 pm
What'sApp status is a form of social media. People post their status, and can see how many people viewed their status. It's not just a texting app.

Also, it's hard to filter. People can send you or your kid images that you don't want.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:22 pm
My teenage son told me that he got the following text on his flip phone - hi, this is Cindy, and I would love to connect... I'm obviously paraphrasing big time, but just realize that regular phones are not as safe as you think. It's not only WhatsApp.

Einikel

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:25 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
My teenage son told me that he got the following text- hi, this is Cindy, and I would love to connect... I'm obviously paraphrasing big time, but just realize that regular phones are not as safe as you think. It's not only WhatsApp.

He can get the same message as an old fashioned text. I got a few emails from a guy with a generic name like moshe Friedman that I ignored.

smile11

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:25 pm
I would get addicted so I choose not to have it on my phone I downloaded it on my computer so it's not with me wherever I go

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:27 pm
Hashemlovesme2 wrote:
I would get addicted so I choose not to have it on my phone I downloaded it on my computer so it's not with me wherever I go

How is that possible?

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:28 pm
Einikel wrote:
He can get the same message as an old fashioned text. I got a few emails from a guy with a generic name like moshe Friedman that I ignored.

So true. These messages can come thru with any form of social media. We asked a sheila before I started using it and was told that WhatsApp is the most kosher.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:29 pm
Einikel wrote:

He got this message on a good old fashioned flip phone. No WhatsApp.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I see so many posters mention WhatsApp in the same category as Instagram and Facebook and something to strive to remove from their lives. I also have friends who won’t install WhatsApp for spiritual reasons. This is something I never understood, as to me, WhatsApp functions the same way my texting app does. It’s just another way to write messages to people, with the added convenience of voice notes. I am part of some group chats but I have most of them muted because I don’t feel like having them blow up my phone. I understand the aversion to Instagram, as I also get pulled in by glamorous pictures of people living their best lives. Respectfully, can someone explain the “dark side” of WhatsApp to me? What am I missing here?

You're missing nothing. There isn't any dark side to Whatsapp, other than the fear of something new.

sunflower_seed

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:37 pm
I went off whatsapp and then on again
For me I see two problems- constant interruptions and false sense of urgency

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:38 pm
If you mute almost everything that's not a problem.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:51 pm
My dh doesn’t have it.
It’s his own decision
He said he sees how much time his friends spend on messages. And how many random images and videos they get on group chats. Time spent looking at status.

I don’t believe anything would come from it. It’s just a time waster and a way to get an enormous amount of random irrelevant stuff quickly.
With txt messages he only gets what he needs.

There is no fear of the new bec I’ve had it for years...

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:53 pm
WhatsApp groups sometimes have men and women chatting with each other. People sharing pictures and videos with others who they wouldn’t otherwise share with. Profile pictures so men see women’s pictures and women see men’s. It erodes boundaries in a way regular texting doesn’t.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:56 pm
I don’t think my dh would have a problem with women
He txts them if he needs to.

It’s like imamother. It’s 100% kosher and safe.
Yet its a tremendous time waster.
And I do read things on here that pull me down ruchniyos wise.
That doesn’t make the whole thing trief. But I have no doubt I’d be a better person without it. Yet I keep coming back.

I see group chats like WhatsApp in a similar light.

acemom

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 5:57 pm
I use WhatsApp the same way I'd use texting.
I am not on any groups and rarely if ever check statuses. None of my contacts post status update too often anyway.

The few contacts that don't have WhatsApp I have to text.

That's all.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics