Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
When do working mothers toilet train?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:20 pm
I'm having this problem now because I work so I can't stay home with my child and I don't think it's fair to send her half trained to playgroup for them to deal with. It keeps getting pushed off and stopping and starting because I simply don't have the time.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:25 pm
I’m of the believe that you wait till they’re 100% ready and there’s no training. It’s diapers to undies. I wait till 3.25-3.5. (I work FT BH)

If it takes your kids longer you can train over a long weekend, or a yom tov

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:26 pm
I just toilet trained my child over Shavuos. I originally designated Pesach but she got sick. BH it is working out nicely so far. I think designating 3 to 4 days of being in the house, having the child just wear underwear, and a small treat for each time they go. This seems to work for us. 3rd kid.

amother
White

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:27 pm
I did it over extended legal holidays (took off Thursday Friday and had off on Monday). I also did it over pesach and over sukkos. Once I just took a long weekend off.

r_ch

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:27 pm
Sometimes peer pressure helps more than a mother at home. I saw it happen in a playgroup.

amother
Black

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:28 pm
Thursday afternoon to Monday morn and by then they were semi trained and yes I do expect the playgroup to help- this is the age that kids get toilet trained and it’s part of the package if they decided on this age group

Teomima

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:48 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I’m of the believe that you wait till they’re 100% ready and there’s no training. It’s diapers to undies. I wait till 3.25-3.5. (I work FT BH)

If it takes your kids longer you can train over a long weekend, or a yom tov

Same. I've never pushed my kids, I've waited until they're fully ready and tell me when they need to go and want to pull off their diaper. Then it's basically done. Maybe a few accidents for a couple of days, but that's it. Absolutely no effort on my part, no reminding them to pee or cajoling them to sit on the potty longer. Also regarding a playgroup of course they should help with this process. But it will be so much smoother if you don't push the child before they're really, really ready.

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:51 pm
Extended weekend like today.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:59 pm
Just wait until they’re really ready and then it’s easier. Or you can start off really slowly like once a day before bath time put them on the toilet and build up slowly slowly from there over months. Either way you shouldn’t push it and make it stressful.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:59 pm
Same as above. I wait till they are basically trained in a diaper and then wait for a long weekend with underwear. You can send pullups the first few days in school if you want, depends on the teacher

Window

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:04 pm
Why don’t you speak to the teacher? I used to be a preschool teacher and I saw that some teachers were okay with half trained and didn’t mind potty training

little neshamala

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:12 pm
Friday afternnon through sunday night

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:14 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
Extended weekend like today.

That was my plan! So I started Friday afternoon and then she didn't want to stay home, not that it would've finished today.

I did send her to playgroup in a pull up and she said she used the toilet there and she came home dry so who knows.

She's the oldest by a few months in the group which is why I don't think it's the teachers job. My child is the only one she'll have to do this with.

Over YT I couldn't do it because we're in and out of the house all the time.

Also, I found the opposite- the longer I wait the more comfortable they get and less willing to work with me.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That was my plan! So I started Friday afternoon and then she didn't want to stay home, not that it would've finished today.

I did send her to playgroup in a pull up and she said she used the toilet there and she came home dry so who knows.

She's the oldest by a few months in the group which is why I don't think it's the teachers job. My child is the only one she'll have to do this with.

Over YT I couldn't do it because we're in and out of the house all the time.

Also, I found the opposite- the longer I wait the more comfortable they get and less willing to work with me.

July 4th is 3 day weekend this year

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 8:37 pm
Same question here!
And to make things more difficult, I will put my daughter in underwear, but she will hold it in for hours and refuse to actually let anything come out.Then it's time for a nap or bed, and she will just go in her diaper.
She will sometimes agree to sit on the potty, but has only gone two times, once after many hours and tears, and the other almost by mistake
I have no idea what to do to get her to go...

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 8:40 pm
When a kid is ready it’s a one day activity.

Check out the book ‘toilet training in a day.’
I do Friday through Sunday.
Summers are easiest. Just spend a large portion of day outside with potty so no mess inside.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 8:42 pm
My 2 cents. I work full time. My last toddler was completely potty trained by her preschool teachers. I was encouraging at home, but not forcing anything. Well my kid was potty trained by about 27 months. It was seriously due to the dedication of her preschool teachers. Which was totally fine with me & made it much easier for me as a parent.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 8:42 pm
If she makes #2 before playgroup it's ok if she's half trained imo. Just make sure to tell the playgroup. Many work along with you.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 8:50 pm
Wait till kid is 100000% ready and then its a one day deal. I did one iver the week before pesach and just took him to work with me and took him to the bathroom every half hour.
Next one I did on a Friday snow day over shabbos
Next one I just did over a weekend.
Bh all trained for nights at the same time.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 9:17 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Same question here!
And to make things more difficult, I will put my daughter in underwear, but she will hold it in for hours and refuse to actually let anything come out.Then it's time for a nap or bed, and she will just go in her diaper.
She will sometimes agree to sit on the potty, but has only gone two times, once after many hours and tears, and the other almost by mistake
I have no idea what to do to get her to go...

She’s not ready, put her back in pull ups.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training