Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
I’m so glad this happened to me.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 11:51 pm
I used to be super duper addicted to Instagram. The past few days I realized that I’m so above and beyond bored scrolling Through the same stupidities. Same adds, same promotions etc ....I legit shut the app a minute or less after I log on.has anyone else felt this way recently. I never thought this could happen to me. I’m happy but let’s hope it stays this way Very Happy

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 12:00 am
Yup. Uninstalled it a few weeks ago and I couldn't be more surprised at how I don't miss it an iota. Stupidity.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 12:03 am
Me too. Uninstalled a year ago. Don't miss it.

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 1:12 am
Yup. I hid my facebook and Instagram apps on my phone. I only access them if there's something I really need. In the beginning I set specific amounts of time that I wouldn't log in. Like withdrawal Smile
After a few weeks I just stopped logging on for weeks at a time. I don't miss either of them.

trixx

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 3:16 am
You guys are all following the wrong accounts. I use Instagram as a source of info and follow topics that I want to learn more about. You know you can be a frum lady and not have to follow hair, wigs, makeup, clothing, cooking etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 6:47 am
trixx wrote:
You guys are all following the wrong accounts. I use Instagram as a source of info and follow topics that I want to learn more about. You know you can be a frum lady and not have to follow hair, wigs, makeup, clothing, cooking etc.

I also have plenty non fashion related accounts and it’s still not the same. Perhaps bc it still under the umbrella of Insta. Not sure.

I’m honestly all about fashion and still love clothing and beautiful stuff. I think it just puts me off really badly recently bc of the ultra fakeness and the entitlement these ppl think they have. I know it’s not all of them. But it’s still out their ....

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:08 am
trixx wrote:

This is strange to me, with all due respect. OP is saying she left instagram and it enhanced and improved her life. Others are saying the same. You are telling them that they just followed the wrong accounts?

This day and age, there has been a great awakening, craving, and acceptance of seeking spirituality, inspiration, knowledge, etc. It's an amazing and wonderful thing, BH!! There are so many avenues available to utilize in our pursuit of these interests. Sure, instagram is catchy and fun and easy. It's at the tip of our fingers and just about always there. However, people like OP (and I would extend that to most of us here) are seeing how technology, specifically phones, are taking away from our lives, not enhancing them. We are tricked by the likes, hearts, pretty pictures/infographics and FOMO aspect of being in the know. Do not be fooled. No one is in instagram for purely altruistic reasons. It's a culture, and OP opted out. Good for her!

Remember books, shiurim, and sefarim? Today there are awesome short podcasts for learning on our own time. Pop in headphones and listen while you clean and cook or exercise. Books are so small, they can fit in your purse. If someone has found more inner peace and satisfaction without the insta-culture, this is a GOOD thing.

trixx

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:16 am
watergirl wrote:
This is strange to me, with all due respect. OP is saying she left instagram and it enhanced and improved her life. Others are saying the same. You are telling them that they just followed the wrong accounts?

This day and age, there has been a great awakening, craving, and acceptance of seeking spirituality, inspiration, knowledge, etc. It's an amazing and wonderful thing, BH!! There are so many avenues available to utilize in our pursuit of these interests. Sure, instagram is catchy and fun and easy. It's at the tip of our fingers and just about always there. However, people like OP (and I would extend that to most of us here) are seeing how technology, specifically phones, are taking away from our lives, not enhancing them. We are tricked by the likes, hearts, pretty pictures/infographics and FOMO aspect of being in the know. Do not be fooled. No one is in instagram for purely altruistic reasons. It's a culture, and OP opted out. Good for her!

Remember books, shiurim, and sefarim? Today there are awesome short podcasts for learning on our own time. Pop in headphones and listen while you clean and cook or exercise. Books are so small, they can fit in your purse. If someone has found more inner peace and satisfaction without the insta-culture, this is a GOOD thing.

I'm not dismissing the inner peace she's found. I'm saying that the app can be utilized in a way that serves you. For example I follow some health and therapy accounts. They provide bite sized information that allows me to gradually absorb it. Ofc it's a front for their businesses, but I can take the free content at face value. It doesn't take time like a podcast or a book. I can scroll while I nurse or wait for kids to fall asleep. Like any tool, it can be used for good or not. I'm not sucked into any "culture" because I don't follow any influencers.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 9:33 am
trixx wrote:
I'm not dismissing the inner peace she's found. I'm saying that the app can be utilized in a way that serves you. For example I follow some health and therapy accounts. They provide bite sized information that allows me to gradually absorb it. Ofc it's a front for their businesses, but I can take the free content at face value. It doesn't take time like a podcast or a book. I can scroll while I nurse or wait for kids to fall asleep. Like any tool, it can be used for good or not. I'm not sucked into any "culture" because I don't follow any influencers.

Instagram is one big influencer. People that are so into it dont even realize it anymore, and when they do & take the step to disconnect, they dont even miss the foolishness of it all. Perhaps your comment is coming from a place of awe & yearning to reach such a level.

trixx

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 9:35 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Instagram is one big influencer. People that are so into it dont even realize it anymore, and when they do & take the step to disconnect, they dont even miss the foolishness of it all. Perhaps your comment is coming from a place of awe & yearning to reach such a level.

Nope.
Again. You can curate your Instagram experience.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 9:37 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

Or perhaps her comment is coming from a place of “it can also be a good thing, not just a place to follow fakeness”

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:20 am
trixx wrote:

The "bites" of information you are receiving - are there any sources listed? Anyway for anyone to delve deeper? Or just enough to click the "follow" button and become slowly dependent on that person for more "information" on their topic? I follow one therapist who ironically posts from time to time about the toxicity of instagram and since I check in on her posts every now and then (I only look at instagram if I am VERY bored), other therapists pop up. I've never seen anyone give over information. I see a lot of opinions and "things that make you go hmmm"... lots of quotes and thoughts to ponder. Not information.

alef12

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:27 am
A variation of this thread is posted every few weeks.

Some people are able to curate their Instagram feeds to be a healthy happy place for them. They unfollow anything that makes them uncomfortable, unhappy etc and only follow what inspires them. This can be a very individual thing. For example I follow a certain clothing designer because I find her inspiring as a person even though I'm not necessarily interested in "fashion" at all.

Some people have a much harder time with this. They feel the need to follow all the "popular" accounts even though it pulls them down. They find it easier to completely cut themselves off from Instagram rather than tailor their feeds. That's what works for them.
There's no ONE WAY for everyone. Every person is an individual. That's what makes the world an interesting place Smile

Personally I am not a fan of pages where everything is an ad. I will put up with a certain amount of it if I find the account helpful or inspiring (because I understand that for some people that type of marketing is their parnasa) but if every second story is sponsored I hit the unfollow button pretty quickly.
But honestly, being a content "creator" I'm super busy and don't have the time to sit and scroll mindlessly for hours. I have to make it a point to check certain accounts that I know might have something interesting or useful for me to see. I can also see that if a person finds IG becoming a big time waster they would leave for a while.
There were times that Imamother was this for me (I've been a member for a very very long time) and I've had to step back from it for months or years. TMI

alef12

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:30 am
watergirl wrote:
The "bites" of information you are receiving - are there any sources listed? Anyway for anyone to delve deeper? Or just enough to click the "follow" button and become slowly dependent on that person for more "information" on their topic? I follow one therapist who ironically posts from time to time about the toxicity of instagram and since I check in on her posts every now and then (I only look at instagram if I am VERY bored), other therapists pop up. I've never seen anyone give over information. I see a lot of opinions and "things that make you go hmmm"... lots of quotes and thoughts to ponder. Not information.

I share information all the time. It may not be useful information to you but it's definitely information Smile
I have a strong passion to share certain things with the frum community and I've found that Instagram is a great platform to share my lifestyle and experience with the maximum amount of people.

trixx

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:35 am
watergirl wrote:

Yeah because I follow experienced licensed professionals and like I said... Not one Jewish person. Whatever as I tell my husband, my internet is not your internet.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:53 am
trixx wrote:
Yeah because I follow experienced licensed professionals and like I said... Not one Jewish person. Whatever as I tell my husband, my internet is not your internet.

I hear you. I'm glad you've found a way that works for you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 11:13 am
watergirl wrote:
I hear you. I'm glad you've found a way that works for you.
[b]

Exactly. No one is shaming anyone using Instagram.
The wonderful pages I used to follow is no more like it once was. Whoever is on Instagram is using it as a platform to “inspire” in their own way. It’s all repeat repeat repeat......I can get my own health / mental books off of Amazon and I can go to a store once and see what’s In style color and fashion wise to get an idea. I don’t need 7 mths of show fashion ood to remind me that I don’t need “competition” and “mirror selfie’s” to make me feel I’m integrated and on cotton -cloud land with Instagram.

The pages that I admire doesn’t make me desperate to look at the app every few minutes bc I can get the knowledge of anything I need to know these days from Family and friends.

I am not yeshivish and I’m very fashion forward!!!
That is why I came believe I am even admitting to what I have been feeling for so long!!!

I never said I banned Instagram bc it’s a sinful app. If someone told me that they removed it a few months ago I would have thought I can NEVER. DO THAT!!!

it’s not bc I’m more special then anyone but bc I am wasting so so so much precious time and I become irritable From not utilizing my day sufficiently.etc....

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 3:39 pm
trixx wrote:

I would love some ppl like that to follow on insta. Sounds very helpful.
Can you pm me some names.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media