Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
UPDATE!Accountants: salary for Manager w/ 2 years experience
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 10:47 pm
CPA here, work at the big 4.

I’m not sure what ur responsibilities are... but 70k sounds about right for 2 years experience.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 6:35 pm
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
CPA here, work at the big 4.

I’m not sure what ur responsibilities are... but 70k sounds about right for 2 years experience.

But then again, isn't that what a CPA at the big 4 is making at this stage? That's what makes me hesitate about asking for $70k.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 8:16 pm
Big 4 starts lower than private.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 8:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But then again, isn't that what a CPA at the big 4 is making at this stage? That's what makes me hesitate about asking for $70k.

Yes but they can expect large annual raises after that as they advance. You clearly can't expect that so ask for a lot and settle for something reasonable.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Yes but they can expect large annual raises after that as they advance. You clearly can't expect that so ask for a lot and settle for something reasonable.

Wouldn't it come across a little too strong to ask for a $20k raise, even if we both know I would settle for slightly less?

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wouldn't it come across a little too strong to ask for a $20k raise, even if we both know I would settle for slightly less?

That's how women feel, and that's why they get raised less - says my male coworker who got a 20k raise. (Different field, but the message is the same nonetheless)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:20 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
That's how women feel, and that's why they get raised less - says my male coworker who got a 20k raise. (Different field, but the message is the same nonetheless)

Very good point. I suppose the worst that could happen is that I get pushed down a bit lower (which I am expecting anyway)

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 11:21 pm
I feel the advice here to OP is WAY OFF.

(I am a CPA working in public for around 20 years in various roles and cities).

A full-time employee in public accounting means 40+ hours per week during slow season and upwards of 60 in busy season. In all my work, my colleagues regularly pull in over 70 for some super busy weeks. THAT'S why they get the big bucks.

You are-
-not a CPA
-work less than 40 hours per week
-do not work busy season hours
- have only 2 years of experience

I would not pay you any more than the 70k you are getting, to be honest. When comparing yourself to other salaries, look at not just the "title" but their yearly billable hours. If they are expected to charge 1,900 a year and you are charging only 1,000, you can't expect their salary.

Also, years of experience counts a lot more than title. I would not consider someone with 2 years of experience as manager-level, along with manager-level pay. Not even a senior. I would consider you a strong staff 2 at best.

And lastly, this varies widely among firm size, but your salary can be expected to be around 1/3 of your bill rate, so your 1/2 is actually high- in your favor.

All this said, I don't live in NY, so perhaps things are different there (although 20 years ago I did work in big 4 - then it was big 5 - in NYC). But just make sure you are comparing yourself to people who have a flex schedule like you. Do not compare yourself to someone working standard tax season hours. This should hold true regardless of location.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:19 pm
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
I feel the advice here to OP is WAY OFF.

(I am a CPA working in public for around 20 years in various roles and cities).

A full-time employee in public accounting means 40+ hours per week during slow season and upwards of 60 in busy season. In all my work, my colleagues regularly pull in over 70 for some super busy weeks. THAT'S why they get the big bucks.

You are-
-not a CPA
-work less than 40 hours per week
-do not work busy season hours
- have only 2 years of experience

I would not pay you any more than the 70k you are getting, to be honest. When comparing yourself to other salaries, look at not just the "title" but their yearly billable hours. If they are expected to charge 1,900 a year and you are charging only 1,000, you can't expect their salary.

Also, years of experience counts a lot more than title. I would not consider someone with 2 years of experience as manager-level, along with manager-level pay. Not even a senior. I would consider you a strong staff 2 at best.

And lastly, this varies widely among firm size, but your salary can be expected to be around 1/3 of your bill rate, so your 1/2 is actually high- in your favor.

All this said, I don't live in NY, so perhaps things are different there (although 20 years ago I did work in big 4 - then it was big 5 - in NYC). But just make sure you are comparing yourself to people who have a flex schedule like you. Do not compare yourself to someone working standard tax season hours. This should hold true regardless of location.

Thanks for chiming in!

I am not making $70k, I am making quite a bit less, and I am currently billing around 3x my salary.

I know not to compare myself to public accountants, and that my more flexible schedule is a benefit in and of itself.

My question was more if the jobs posted for bookkeepers with little experience stated a salary of $70k, are these generous wages or am I being very underpaid? I know I am somewhat underpaid, but I am looking for a realistic raise to request in my upcoming meeting.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:38 pm
An update for whomever is interested:

My boss called me into his office to discuss a new, CFO level project he wants me to get involved in, and mentioned that it would come with a raise.
I took the opportunity to mention that I was going to come to him about a raise, as we had discussed that we would talk about one this month. He asked what I was looking for, and I thought, hey, what's the worst that could happen? So I asked for the $20k raise and got it!

Thanks for all of your advice, and I hope this helps someone who is on the fence about demanding to be paid their worth!

Writergirl

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My boss called me into his office to discuss a new, CFO level project he wants me to get involved in, and mentioned that it would come with a raise.
I took the opportunity to mention that I was going to come to him about a raise, as we had discussed that we would talk about one this month. He asked what I was looking for, and I thought, hey, what's the worst that could happen? So I asked for the $20k raise and got it!

Thanks for all of your advice, and I hope this helps someone who is on the fence about demanding to be paid their worth!

Wow!good for you. Sounds like he was waiting for you to ask! You must be so happy. Enjoy the windfall Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:42 pm
Writergirl wrote:
Wow!good for you. Sounds like he was waiting for you to ask! You must be so happy. Enjoy the windfall Smile

Thank you! Very Happy

jflower

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your new salary!

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 7:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'm glad you posted an update!

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 11:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for chiming in!

I am not making $70k, I am making quite a bit less, and I am currently billing around 3x my salary.

I know not to compare myself to public accountants, and that my more flexible schedule is a benefit in and of itself.

My question was more if the jobs posted for bookkeepers with little experience stated a salary of $70k, are these generous wages or am I being very underpaid? I know I am somewhat underpaid, but I am looking for a realistic raise to request in my upcoming meeting.

Firstly, good for you for asking for the raise and mazel tov on getting it! It seems your boss knows you're really valuable.

Just wanted to respond to your post here- it's a great question! I don't live in NYC so I can't answer, but I agree with your thinking that if a full time bookkeeper gets paid $70, a flex-time accountant with several years of experience should get more than that 70k. At least that makes sense in my opinion, not knowing the NYC market. Anyway, this is moot due to your raise. BH!

ps- you can sign up for and download the Robert Half 2021 accountant salary guide. It will provide market salaries for all levels of positions, as well as a formula for adjusting to your particular city.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:00 pm
Great news OP! Thanks for the update! So glad to hear you asked for your worth!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics