Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Name for birth certificate
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you keep Hebrew name on birth certificate?
Yes  
 82%  [ 114 ]
No  
 17%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 139

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:02 am
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
I put their Hebrew names and still question myself if it was the right thing to do because my son’s name has a “ch” in it.

Why? Who cares if non jews mispronounce his name? I resent (harsher term than how I actually feel) the fact that my parents gave me an English legal name that I absolutely hate. It does make it difficult to know when I need to use and what name I put down for things to that aren’t black and white in terms of being legal, for example accounts with different stores or whatever. I find it really frustrating. Also I work in a public school and can hardly pronounce any of my kids names so…

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:20 am
My kids have “WASPY” English legal names. They refer to it as their doctor names. I think it gives them the option of anonymity on their passport or for a job interview.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 1:14 pm
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:
Was your husband born in the US? I dont know whether the Israelis will let you get a passport with a Hebrew name that doesnt match your US passport. Maybe (or maybe they used to). But today if the kid is born in Israel and gets a Hebrew birth certificate first, the US Embassy wont let you get a passport with an English name that doesnt match the Hebrew name.

Not US.
When dh made aliyah, he gave Misrad Hapnim his Hebrew name (which is not his legal name on his birth certificate) and for a decade or so he had his legal birth name for one country, and his legal Hebrew name for Israel.
That's interesting what you say about the passports though. Is that a recent change? Because I know people who do have different names on Israeli and US passports for their children born in Israel.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 5:29 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Why? Who cares if non jews mispronounce his name? I resent (harsher term than how I actually feel) the fact that my parents gave me an English legal name that I absolutely hate. It does make it difficult to know when I need to use and what name I put down for things to that aren’t black and white in terms of being legal, for example accounts with different stores or whatever. I find it really frustrating. Also I work in a public school and can hardly pronounce any of my kids names so…

You can legally change your name.

My son said he didn't like that I legally named him Isaac instead of Yitzchok.

I told him you can change your name. But Isaac is easier for non-Jews to pronounce.

My son kept the "english" name and works for non-Jews. They call him Isaac.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 5:53 pm
essie14 wrote:
When your baby is born in Israel you give them the name you want to use. Most israelis don't name their kid Yaakov and call him Jake.
But my son has plenty of secular army buddies with name like
דילון
אסטל
סמי
קבין
ג'יימי

Took me a minute to decide these names. That's hilarious

yidisheh mama

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:14 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I usually anglesize the name somewhat. My dh and his siblings grew up with their full hebrew names as legal names and they hated it. Non-jews can't pronounce the name, spell the name etc, so when they go to the dr or anything it's always harder.
It depends on the names as well. My kids names are fairly traditional and easy to switch, think Simon for Shimon, Michael for Michoel etc, but it can be harder when they're more unusual names. You could also do a shortened form of the name, like Eli, which is hard to get wrong.
I don't know if I would do a totally different name though, like Eve instead of Chava.

In the US there are so many people from varied backgrounds and nationalities. Plenty people have names that are not "American " or that may be hard for some others to pronounce. I don't see others putting different names on their birth certificates to make it easier for others, so why us? People make it sound like there are Jewish names and American names, and non-jews will have a hard time pronouncing our names. But no; there are American names, African names, Hispanic names, Jewish names, Asian names, Indian names, middle eastern names, etc., and they all sound different!
I write my child's given name, the one with which they are called. One of my kids have a "ch" in his name. If someone can't pronounce the "ch", I tell them to sub with an H. Some sub with a "K" or "H" automatically. Really no big deal.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:15 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

I told him you can change your name. But Isaac is easier for non-Jews to pronounce.

I am glad to have a secular legal name. Makes things a lot easier, like others have said it's a certain anonymity for job applications etc. There have been studies done that showed job applications with typical American first names get put ahead of very ethnic ones.
Also, it keeps my professional life (I also work in non Jewish workplace) separate from home life. I mentally shift gears depending where I am, and it's second nature abt when to use my legal name vs Hebrew one.
I always use my legal name when doing any kind of payment, reservations, making appointments etc so I never get confused.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:19 pm
We put their Hebrew names. None of them go by any English names anyway, so glad we didn’t put them.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:23 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Yes and that’s what my parents always told me but I didn’t want any more confusion then changing my last name for marriage. Trying to convince people that Zehava Stern and Samantha Goldstein (fictitious names) are the same person as opposed to Samantha stern and Samantha Goldstein…didn’t want to run into any issues.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:24 pm
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
I am glad to have a secular legal name. Makes things a lot easier, like others have said it's a certain anonymity for job applications etc. There have been studies done that showed job applications with typical American first names get put ahead of very ethnic ones.
Also, it keeps my professional life (I also work in non Jewish workplace) separate from home life. I mentally shift gears depending where I am, and it's second nature abt when to use my legal name vs Hebrew one.
I always use my legal name when doing any kind of payment, reservations, making appointments etc so I never get confused.

I hear that. I do go by my legal name at work which does put a nice separation. I just wish I liked my legal name at all.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:30 pm
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:

I still don't understand the second one?

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:35 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
I still don't understand the second one?

If my transliteration is correct

דילון --- Dylan
אסטל --- Estelle
סמי --- Sammy
קבין --- Kevin
ג'יימי -- Jimmy

essie14

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:41 pm
singleagain wrote:
If my transliteration is correct

דילון --- Dylan
אסטל --- Estelle
סמי --- Sammy
קבין --- Kevin
ג'יימי -- Jimmy

You got it 😂
Last one is Jamie

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:58 pm
Oh Estelle lol I was thinking of another boy's name.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:08 pm
Teomima wrote:
Not US.
When dh made aliyah, he gave Misrad Hapnim his Hebrew name (which is not his legal name on his birth certificate) and for a decade or so he had his legal birth name for one country, and his legal Hebrew name for Israel.
That's interesting what you say about the passports though. Is that a recent change? Because I know people who do have different names on Israeli and US passports for their children born in Israel.

Yes, recent (past 3 years). I've heard from two different people who tried to give their Israeli born child an English name for the US documents (when a Hebrew name was on the Israeli bc), and the US embassy didn't allow it.

At least they do let you chose the spelling. You can pick Yael or Jaelle, Shiran or Shiranne, etc.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:50 pm
I am an american citizen, living in America with no intention of living oit of the country in the near future.

Trying to figure out what people in America do.

Personally I have 2 separate names, my family has 2 separate names and I like it this way.

My husbands family all jas hebrew name on birth certificate my husband is the only one who his mother spelled his 1st hebrew name the secular way and at work he uses the secular pronunciation. He jas siblings who kept their hebrew name at work and some use an english name but legally kept as hebrew and 1 sibling even went and changed the legal name from hebrew to English bc they were u comfortable with the hebrew name at work.

Trying to figure out what makes sense to do in todays society in America.

essie14

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am an american citizen, living in America with no intention of living oit of the country in the near future.

Trying to figure out what people in America do.

Personally I have 2 separate names, my family has 2 separate names and I like it this way.

My husbands family all jas hebrew name on birth certificate my husband is the only one who his mother spelled his 1st hebrew name the secular way and at work he uses the secular pronunciation. He jas siblings who kept their hebrew name at work and some use an english name but legally kept as hebrew and 1 sibling even went and changed the legal name from hebrew to English bc they were u comfortable with the hebrew name at work.

Trying to figure out what makes sense to do in todays society in America.

People in America do everything you described. It's a personal preference.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 8:25 pm
My kids only have Hebrew names, and only one has a middle name, but it’s not on the birth certificate.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 8:28 pm
https://www.colorlines.com/art.....-name

“If they can learn to say Tchaikovsky and Michelangelo and Dostoyevsky, they can learn to say Uzoamaka.”

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 9:12 pm
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:

I can’t figure out the second one ?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names