Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
The Listening program
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 7:13 pm
Anyone did this program?
Would love to hear more info. My dd speech therapist recommended it. What does it target and did you see improvement?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 9:49 pm
Bump. Anyone?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 11:33 pm
We tried it. It's about general integration and regulation, and I'm sure there are specific things. Be aware that it's like medicine, in that different people react to it differently, and some kids actually react negatively instead of positively.

Ask if the therapist can arrange a loaner of the basics if the program and the headphones for a couple weeks so you can try it out without the investment. My kid's therapist set us up with headphones and kept a deposit from us, and started us with a rental of a track for a month. It did not help dc caused some irritation, so we discontinued. For others, it works well.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 12:09 am
We used it in our son and it was great. The therapist did it with him and he enjoyed it. He was 4 at the time. It helped him with different language and processing issues. It doesn't fix a kid. There isn't a guarantee if/how much it will work. But we were hoping it may possibly shorten his therapy by a few months so that would help offset the cost since we paid for it privately. It did help him process his surroundings better and it helped him benefit from his therapy more. We overall felt him open up more and process language more easily. We are still in therapy with him 2 years later but it helped speed things along and his therapy session had more "quality" (can't think of a better word now to fit there) and were fuller and he was more "clued in" and he definitely processed his sessions better. We noticed a gradual change starting like 2 weeks after and for up to a month after. Just a happier kid to whom more things "clicked" faster. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 12:31 am
Thanks for the responses.
So I understood your paying a monthly fee. So I can always stop that.
For the other amother that saw positive change. For how long were you doing it for?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 12:46 am
My therapist told me it's a program you do over a few days. We went to her every day for about 1 hour and she kept him entertained with minimal talking. She said it had to be consecutive days in order to work.
Edited to add: ours was called "safe and sound protocol (ssp)" if that makes a difference to you. Assuming there are a few types. This was the one our therapist used. It was $1000. There was supposed to be minimal talking, no crunchy eating (applesauce type good), and consecutive days. She told us we may notice these changes : Calmer, more regulated, Increased eye contact, Improved language comprehension, Tolerates frustration better. . We noticed all of these, some more some less but an overall improvement in all. I feel like now that I'm looking at my texts with her it was just 5 consecutive days so we did sun-thurs.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 8:19 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
My therapist told me it's a program you do over a few days. We went to her every day for about 1 hour and she kept him entertained with minimal talking. She said it had to be consecutive days in order to work.
Edited to add: ours was called "safe and sound protocol (ssp)" if that makes a difference to you. Assuming there are a few types. This was the one our therapist used. It was $1000. There was supposed to be minimal talking, no crunchy eating (applesauce type good), and consecutive days. She told us we may notice these changes : Calmer, more regulated, Increased eye contact, Improved language comprehension, Tolerates frustration better. . We noticed all of these, some more some less but an overall improvement in all. I feel like now that I'm looking at my texts with her it was just 5 consecutive days so we did sun-thurs.

I am so confused. Basically were starting with a new therapist in the summer and he recommended it. He said its an app thats a monthly fee and a one time purchase of headphones. I should do it at home for at least 15 minutes or 30 if I can. And that was it. He said its very beneficial and look into it. Now im so confused. Your saying you did it for onky 5 days...So im wondering if its worth trying. My dd needs help in speech-articulation, processing....

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 9:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am so confused. Basically were starting with a new therapist in the summer and he recommended it. He said its an app thats a monthly fee and a one time purchase of headphones. I should do it at home for at least 15 minutes or 30 if I can. And that was it. He said its very beneficial and look into it. Now im so confused. Your saying you did it for onky 5 days...So im wondering if its worth trying. My dd needs help in speech-articulation, processing....

Is there a more specific name of the program or is it just called "the listening program"? There are a few of these auditory integration type of programs on the market now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Is there a more specific name of the program or is it just called "the listening program"? There are a few of these auditory integration type of programs on the market now.

I was told "the listening program ". And the therapist needs to sign me up. When I searched it theres a 7 day free trial which were doing now. Im not sure if theres different tracks/programs within....

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:14 am
I'm not sure. My therapist called it the listening program and then said there are a few types. The one she recommended for me was called the safe and sound protocol. It was a type of "listening program". What is your app called? She rented the program for a month and we chose which week in the month we wanted it. It was headphones and a cd he listened to strapped on him like a fanny pack so he can move around. It was like classic Disney songs that played at different tempos and changed a few notes here and there.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:22 am
I see what you mean. Yours is be advancedbrain.com and they offer "the listening program" and "the movement program" etc. Mine was from a company called integratedlistening.com and uses the "safe and sound protocol" which is another form of a listening program. Our programs target different things. But they are both a sort of "listening program". Anyway, sorry I didn't do yours so I don't have info on your specific one. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 11:58 am
I see what you mean. Yours is be advancedbrain.com and they offer "the listening program" and "the movement program" etc. Mine was from a company called integratedlistening.com and uses the "safe and sound protocol" which is another form of a listening program. Our programs target different things. But they are both a sort of "listening program". Anyway, sorry I didn't do yours so I don't have info on your specific one. Good luck!

Ok thanks. Yours was just a week thing mine sounds like were supposed to do it daily for however long?!

So how and where did you see progress? Im just trying to figure this out Can't Believe It . Her speech will improve from listening to some music?
Shes out most of the day in daycamp so the little that shes home shes usually playing...
I guess I can sign up for a month or so and then stop it if I dont see anything.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 12:05 pm
Sorry im just a bit confused cuz I started with a new therapist for the summer and he told me to look into it, didnt give me much info. Just said look online there is alot of info.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 12:14 pm
You would have to ask your therapist that question because I never used your program. With mine, for my son things started to "click" faster. Helped him process his surrounding better and made his therapy sessions more "rich" and "full" and he was gaining more from his therapy. His music he listened to trained his ears to process things correctly. Assuming you'd would work the same way. Ask your therapist what your child will gain.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 1:20 pm
You would have to ask your therapist that question because I never used your program. With mine, for my son things started to "click" faster. Helped him process his surrounding better and made his therapy sessions more "rich" and "full" and he was gaining more from his therapy. His music he listened to trained his ears to process things correctly. Assuming you'd would work the same way. Ask your therapist what your child will gain.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. So when I asked yesterday he just told me to look online. Im so confused. Basically I wasn't gonna do therapy in the summer and this opportunity came up so I said why not give it a shot. But idk if the therapist is so "into" it. Im still figuring it out as we just had 1 initial eval and 1 session. Lets see how this goes. I'm just trying to see if the program is worth it...

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 2:59 pm
Although the Safe & Sound Protocol and the Listening Program both use music and headphones, they are totally different programs.
Safe and Sound is 5 days in a row, 1 hour each time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 7:57 pm
So im even more confused because I thought this was spch related and I asked her therapist she had all year and now im getting the impression it comes more from an OT side. My daughters biggest delays are in speech, will this program work for her?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 7:58 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
Although the Safe & Sound Protocol and the Listening Program both use music and headphones, they are totally different programs.
Safe and Sound is 5 days in a row, 1 hour each time.

Do you have experience with the listening program?

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 8:40 pm
I have experience with the Safe and Sound program.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 7:09 pm
Hi op, did you end up doing it?
Therapist just recommended it for DC as well.
I have a feeling it's the same therapist as well..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)