Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Being a bad faster and 9 av
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:17 am
My Rav allows me to take caffeine pills and Advil on Tisha Bav with a tiny amount of water just to swallow it- as long as it's less than 1/2 oz.
He says that even Tisha Bav is derabanan so it's allowed.
That was a game changer for me.
Yom Kippur I use the time release caffeine capsules.

livinginflatbus

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:17 am
When do you take the suppositories?

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:37 am
I am a terrible faster and get migraines that last for days/weeks(!) after. Explain the situation to your rav and see what he says.

sari00

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:39 am
Fasting pills from Toronto kollel
https://kollel.com/fasting-pills/

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:51 am
livinginflatbus wrote:

I take one set of 2 around 10:00 am (just the time I’d start to get sick if I didn’t eat breakfast). I take another set in the 4:00 pm range, if needed.

Works wonders.

gootlfriends

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:13 pm
Majorly hydrate the 3 days before. Take it easy the day before. Spend most of the fast day sitting or lying down. That's how I survived Yom Kippur last year and how I will survive tisha b'av this year. I don't get headaches but I get very weak and often nauseous. I don't drink coffee in general.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:22 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:

Local pharmacy
https://www.amazon.com/Perrigo.....r=8-3

Take before the headache comes on. Repeat as needed (keep track of how often you're allowed more based on dosage and package instructions).

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:27 pm
fleetwood wrote:
They need to be refrigerated so I don't think so

The homemade ones that contain caffeine together with tylenol need to be refrigerated. Store bought acetaminophen suppositories do not need to be refrigerated.

queene

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:32 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
The homemade ones that contain caffeine together with tylenol need to be refrigerated. Store bought acetaminophen suppositories do not need to be refrigerated.

So how can the Toronto Kollel be shipping these pills?

Frumme

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:45 pm
-3 days beforehand, start drinking electrolyte-heavy drinks. Drinking plain water won't do much for you, you have to have something like coconut water, Gatorade, smart water, etc. Personally I find the organic Gatorade to be really helpful (plus it's dye free) as well as Smart Water

-extended release Tylenol taken right before the fast (although not sure if you can do this on shabbos if the fast is motzei shabbos, I'll need to ask about it). Usually labeled for arthritis

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:50 pm
fleetwood wrote:
I used to be a terrible faster ,used to vomit for hours,even once the fast was over. I have a regimen now..not sure which of these do the job but the combination seems to help..been fasting well ever since.

Start tapering down caffeine a week before.The day before ,drink tons of Powerade,Gatorade..like 20 cups. When I was in Israel I couldn't find these items but u may have better luck. Take Kali tzom(2 pills) a few hours before the fast. After eating take a Prilosec/prevacid..it helps keep the acid from rising up. And last..the suppositories...you said you won't take them .but they work wonders

Good luck.
I drink NO caffeine. The migraine is not from lack of caffeine. It is a lack of water or any liquids.
Im going to find tzomei kal at my local pharmacy.
What is plilosec/prevacid? I dont really get acid reflux.
And again, about the suppositories, this is not about lack of caffeine.

chestnut

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:50 pm
Suppositories are an absolute lifesaver. They come in Tylenol and Tylenol/caffeine combo. I'm not addicted to coffee, but caffeine helps with not feeling half dead/strength. The combo is sold only in Jewish pharmacies, but Tylenol ones are available in regular ones.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:51 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
If you can take pills without water then you can swallow an excedrin pill on tisha bav preemptively to avoid the migraine
The thing is, I dont always get a migraine so I dont take anything as its so sudden, its awful.
And Ive never tried swallowing anything without liquid :/

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:52 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
I live in Lakewood
The suppositories are available at westgate pharmacy, Madison pharmacy, and Refua pharmacy.
Not sure where you can get them out of Lakewood, but maybe call one of those pharmacies and ask if they know who else sells them.

OP - I don’t know why you wouldn’t do the suppositories. I have SEVERE migraines and they help tremendously (when taken before a migraine sets in).

Isn’t that better than being sick for days?
About the suppositories, its not about lack of caffeine for me. I dont drink anything with caffeine. its the lack of liquid. I drink a lot of water and my body feels it and many times, a migraine comes on.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:53 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Stop drinking coffee a week before. It’s amazing how much this helps. I’ll get headaches for 3 days straight but at least I can address them. And yes, kali tzom are essential!
Have u tried them op?
As I keep on saying, I dont drink caffeinated drinks, so this is not about that.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:54 pm
gootlfriends wrote:
Majorly hydrate the 3 days before. Take it easy the day before. Spend most of the fast day sitting or lying down. That's how I survived Yom Kippur last year and how I will survive tisha b'av this year. I don't get headaches but I get very weak and often nauseous. I don't drink coffee in general.
I do all of these things Sad and still usually end up with a major migraine Sad

Shuly

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:35 pm
I'm a terrible faster. I think it's because I have low blood pressure in general and it drops when I fast so I feel weak, dizzy and nauseous.
The kalei tzom pills really help. I only start feeling bad later in the fast but if I lay down, I can manage. If I don't take them, I can't function from the morning.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 2:02 pm
I start drinking electrolyte heavy drinks such as Powerade/ gatorade/ liquid iv a few days before , take it very easy, my husband in charge of kids, take Tylenol or excedrin during the day with a drop of water , and I still get sick to the point of vomitting and dizziness. Most years I don’t make it through 9 av and Yom Kippur I don’t move from bed.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 2:06 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I drink NO caffeine. The migraine is not from lack of caffeine. It is a lack of water or any liquids.
Im going to find tzomei kal at my local pharmacy.
What is plilosec/prevacid? I dont really get acid reflux.
And again, about the suppositories, this is not about lack of caffeine.

I don't take caffeine suppositories Bec I need the caffeine..I take them Bec they help with the migraine. Most migraine meds have caffeine.

I also don't get reflex..but when you don't eat.. sometimes acid in your stomach rises and you vomit..this happens to me bec of the dehydration.

smss

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 2:06 pm
OP, I'm in the same boat. I haven't had caffeine in years. I try to drink 3 liters a day (of mostly water but also some electrolyte drinks) for the 3 days leading up till the fast. And to stay inside in the a/c. But honestly skipping meals is for sure a migraine trigger all on its own 🤷‍♀️
I'd definitely speak to your rabbi, some years I have been told I could break my fast...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note