Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Did you ever regret removing your child’s tonsils & or adeno
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 11:55 pm
Adenoids?

Why?

AhuvasIma

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 11:57 pm
This doesn't really answer your question, but we were really close to removing my 3 yo sons tonsils and adenoids, he was snoring like a whale, and we went for a second opinion, he said we could try a nasal spray for a month and see if that helps. BH, it's been 3 years and we haven't had any issues since.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 12:07 am
https://jamanetwork.com/journa.....83621

This is what’s making me exhaust all other options first

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 12:19 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaotolaryngology/fullarticle/2683621

This is what’s making me exhaust all other options first

I’m curious to hear more about this from real life stories.

I heard about this a while ago, and checked in with a pediatric infectious diseases doctor who claimed there no increased risk of upper respiratory infections...

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 12:20 am
2 kids, best thing we did. Never looked back bh.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 12:22 am
No

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 12:39 am
Best thing we ever did for my DD. She snored and we did a sleep study which showed severe sleep apnea. She also had chronic ear infections. Since the adenotonsillectomy, no snoring, no strep, no ear infections (easier for fluid to drain).

As an aside, when I was a child my parents considered doing it for me for recurrent strep. I always have had very large tonsils. They decided not to. I really wish they had. I still get strep from time to time. The biggest issue is I feel like my throat is tight whenever I have bed colds. I can't explain it but I feel my tonsils when I breathe (if I think of it) even without a cold. my tonsils are huge. I snore a bit.

An adult friend recently had hers out and was miserable for over a month. Much easier to have done as a child.

Hatzlacha rabba with your decision.

Teomima

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 1:12 am
This isn't exactly what you asked, but I had one child who had reduced hearing and a few other issues. We went to two ENTs who both said to remove her tonsils and adenoids, but b"h we got a third opinion. That ENT said he couldn't even see adenoids on the scan and wasn't sure why the first two doctors said they did, and he suggested we use an Ear Popper for several months. It was amazing, it fixed everything with no need for surgery.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 1:17 am
I don’t regret it BH but I don’t think it did anything either.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 2:08 am
Best thing we ever did for DD. She had kissing tonsils and couldn’t swallow food...

Rabbit613

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 2:34 am
It was amazing for for ds. He was 2 at the time and was constantly sick and kvetchy. He became a new kid afterward. His sleep apnea disappeared. He's almost never sick. Before surgery he had fever about twice a month. We also put tubes in his ears and he began speaking right afterwards.
Before the surgery I tried many other options and nothing worked. B"h I am so thankful for doing the surgery.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:03 am
No kids with this issue (yet) BH but as a toddler my parents had my tonsils and adenoids removed. Before then, I couldn’t smell, couldn’t taste, was severely underweight, and couldn’t speak clearly. Since the day after the surgery, I started doing much better—eating normally (I could taste!) and speaking clearly.

One of my siblings had the same issue, but worse - it impacted breathing to the point that this sibling had frequent, severe asthma attacks, bronchitis, etc. Unfortunately the pediatric surgeon who did my sibling’s adenotonsillectomy didn’t do it correctly and the adenoids grew back (which the doctor denied until he finally agreed to look at a scan of the back of this sibling’s throat), causing the same problems again until a second surgery was done. If you do go for this procedure, double-check the references of the provider you’re using, and find out if this issue has ever come up. It’s worthwhile to make sure that your DC will not have to suffer through multiple surgeries.

Hatzlocha! Anon bc I have discussed this IRL.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:10 am
All of my kids have had their tonsils and adenoids out, and it's been great. Nobody ever gets strep except for me (I probably should have had mine removed as a kid). Also, with one of them, the tonsils were so bad he had actual sleep apnea, it was really scary. Already the first night after removal, his breathing was basically normal.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:13 am
Just about to do this for my second child with obstructive sleep apnea. Both needed around the 3 year mark. Both with a second set of tubes. My older kid grew 3 sizes in the 3 months post surgery. This kid is already asthmatic, snores like a trucker, and has dark circles under her eyes while she’s falling off the growth chart. Another older child had them out at 6 for recurrent strep. I’m not second guessing myself.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:24 am
Should have done it earlier. Finally stopped having strep infections. We made sure it was fully removed instead of it being burned off like it usually is.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:28 am
Mom got hers removes as kids. (it was super common that day n age) she always regretted it

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:29 am
No, but I regret not doing it earlier.

Seeing an ENT since 5 years old, my son had his out after bar mitzvah

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:31 am
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
Should have done it earlier. Finally stopped having strep infections. We made sure it was fully removed instead of it being burned off like it usually is.

Tonsils are more frequently cauterized. To decrease the chances of bleeding. The scissors and scalpel removal causes more blood loss, and that causes surgeons to be less exact.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 7:52 am
My aunt didn't have hers removed as a child, and had to do it as an adult. The doctor had been hopi g the issues would clear up.as she grew, but they didn't.

She always regrets that she had to wait so long, and the recovery from surgery was much harder as an adult.

mummy85

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 8:01 am
Don't regret at all

First child we did, she was 2.5. We got adenoids and full tonsils out. We checked on her so much the following days as we were so used to her snoring so loudly and now it was quiet. She slept so much better after.

Second child we did at 3.5. Had adenoids out and tonsils shaved down. He was barely talking before and is talking full sentences in 2 languages (we live in Israel). It's a world of a difference. Couldn't be happier we did it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics