Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I am so worried, can’t eat or sleep
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:35 pm
I know I sound dramatic but this has been a hell of a year for me and now I got the results from my daughters endocrinologist that at the age of 9 she’s most likely getting her period soon and her bone age is that of a 12 1/2 year old. In other words, my child who’s now the tallest in her class will be 4-10 at her full height. I’m so worried. She’s in general a very anxious kid and freaks out about everything. How will she handle periods at this age? She’s crazy sensory she’ll be fussing about her pads 24/7. I really don’t want or need this now in my life. What can I do???

English3

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:40 pm
Mother's that are anxious have kids that are anxious, you need to relax a little. Maybe learn some breathing techniques or meditation. Hatzlacha on your daughters issues. Her sensory needs will be the same if she would have her period later. You need to sort it out maybe OT.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:42 pm
English3 wrote:
Mother's that are anxious have kids that are anxious, you need to relax a little. Maybe learn some breathing techniques or meditation. Hatzlacha on your daughters issues. Her sensory needs will be the same if she would have her period later. You need to sort it out maybe OT.

She was seeing an amazing ot who suddenly stopped practicing. We’re looking into a new one

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know I sound dramatic but this has been a hell of a year for me and now I got the results from my daughters endocrinologist that at the age of 9 she’s most likely getting her period soon and her bone age is that of a 12 1/2 year old. In other words, my child who’s now the tallest in her class will be 4-10 at her full height. I’m so worried. She’s in general a very anxious kid and freaks out about everything. How will she handle periods at this age? She’s crazy sensory she’ll be fussing about her pads 24/7. I really don’t want or need this now in my life. What can I do???

Does the endocrinologist advise using Lupron?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:46 pm
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:
Does the endocrinologist advise using Lupron?

Definitely worth asking about. It could help a lot.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:54 pm
She says since she anyway doesn’t have much growing left she wouldn’t do anything to stop her period. But I’d like to get a second opinion. The problem is that I can’t get an appointment anywhere before October and I feel like I’m running against the clock here

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:05 pm
Does your DD even know about her periods yet? If not, you need to tell her ASAP so she doesn't get taken by surprise. If you are calm and neutral about it, it will ease a lot of her anxiety.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:22 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Does your DD even know about her periods yet? If not, you need to tell her ASAP so she doesn't get taken by surprise. If you are calm and neutral about it, it will ease a lot of her anxiety.

I’m trying to formulate my thoughts on how to explain it. She’s so young

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:34 pm
As I said in another recent thread about a 9 year old who has approaching signs of puberty:

I got my period at 9.5 and I was so scared that I was dying. I don't blame my mother for not preparing me because she had no idea I would get it so young. Puberty felt traumatic to me because I was so young and unprepared and I fought against all the changes instead of embracing them.

I was determined that my daughters would have a completely different experience. When my oldest turned 9 I bought her the American Girl book about puberty and we read it together so I could tell her funny stories and she could ask questions. She ended up getting her period at 11.5 and I took her out for froyo to celebrate it and make it into a good experience. I plan on doing the same for my younger girls when they reach 9 years old.

Please start talking to your daughter about puberty, especially if she's already experiencing changes to her body.

cbsp

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She says since she anyway doesn’t have much growing left she wouldn’t do anything to stop her period. But I’d like to get a second opinion. The problem is that I can’t get an appointment anywhere before October and I feel like I’m running against the clock here

Can you at least schedule the appointment in October (no yomim Tovim in October this year!) but ask to be put on a cancelation list? And then persistently call about cancelations?

B'hatzlacha!

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:01 pm
It is definitely worth considering Lupron or an alternative they have an implant that they put under the arm which lasts a year and it stops puberty for as long as it is in. Doctors will fight for insurance to cover that. The Lupron shots are very painful I did them myself and I believe they do have other side effects. But I guess you would have to make the choice if the side effects are worth it.
Also, I just order for myself the purple book that everyone on the site recommends the wonder of becoming you written by a religious author you can read it together with your daughter it is supposed to be amazing still waiting for it to come.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:04 pm
There's a book called the wonder of becoming you that she can read.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:16 pm
Definitely get a second opinion.

Please call a jewish community referral place and see if they can help push up an appointment.

Or ask your pediatrician to call to expedite an appointment.

Might be able to push it off for a time, with Lupron or other, or might be able to take growth hormone if hit puberty early etc...

These days you have to push so hard to get an appt, its ridiculous! Sigh...

In the meantime, please educate your DD about mensturation, how to use pads etc. It can be done in the simplest way for the time being. As long as she is aware.

Getting one’s period does not mean end of height growth which is why that second opinion is important. Not sure why current doc wont try to push off for at least a while but maybe she is past that point.

And at the end, if it happens, it happens and is meant to be at that time...and whatever her height, Be”H she should be healthy.

Best of luck...

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are you in Brooklyn? Call Dr. Bulmash's office. He's a pediatrician who went back to school for pediatric endocrinology.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:38 pm
Call Dr. Noto in Westchester.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:46 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Are you in Brooklyn? Call Dr. Bulmash's office. He's a pediatrician who went back to school for pediatric endocrinology.

Yes I do. So dr bulmash is now an endocrinologist? Is he good? He’d see my daughter even if she isn’t his patient?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:18 pm
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
Definitely get a second opinion.

Please call a jewish community referral place and see if they can help push up an appointment.

Or ask your pediatrician to call to expedite an appointment.

Might be able to push it off for a time, with Lupron or other, or might be able to take growth hormone if hit puberty early etc...

These days you have to push so hard to get an appt, its ridiculous! Sigh...

In the meantime, please educate your DD about mensturation, how to use pads etc. It can be done in the simplest way for the time being. As long as she is aware.

Getting one’s period does not mean end of height growth which is why that second opinion is important. Not sure why current doc wont try to push off for at least a while but maybe she is past that point.

And at the end, if it happens, it happens and is meant to be at that time...and whatever her height, Be”H she should be healthy.

Best of luck...

I tried with my pediatrician. He actually disagreed that she’s developing early even after a full physical in may. I insisted on seeing an endocrinologist so he gave me a list. I called every single one and made an appointment with the one who had the fastest available. To be honest I’m not very impressed with her. She’s so focused on my daughters weight etc. even though she’s Bh perfectly healthy.
I’d try a referral agency. Who would you recommend?

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I tried with my pediatrician. He actually disagreed that she’s developing early even after a full physical in may. I insisted on seeing an endocrinologist so he gave me a list. I called every single one and made an appointment with the one who had the fastest available. To be honest I’m not very impressed with her. She’s so focused on my daughters weight etc. even though she’s Bh perfectly healthy.
I’d try a referral agency. Who would you recommend?

Chaim Medical can likely get you into Dr. Noto. He will do anything to help short kids.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes I do. So dr bulmash is now an endocrinologist? Is he good? He’d see my daughter even if she isn’t his patient?

He took care of my daughter's growth hormones. We had to switch our family to become his patients.

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:41 pm
Some competent endocrinologists feel that using Lupron prevents the natural growth spurt during puberty so it sometimes backfires. Growth hormones could help if her levels are either deficient or on the low end of normal. You may want to call a few referral agencies for recommendations so you get a feel of who is good. Your pediatrician should be able to expedite the appointment if they fax all the records and they feel it’s urgent.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics