Home

Pretty please can you help a clueless ima buy a laptop?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Technology and Devices


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 8:38 pm
I use it for work related things (I’m a teacher) mostly Microsoft Word and shopping.

Would a notebook work for me?
Would like to not spend more than $400. Prefer a faster laptop. Preferably a touchscreen. Any help would be SO appreciated...
Back to top

amother




Lemonchiffon
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 8:58 pm
Would you be ok with a 14 inch? Or does it need to be full size (15.6 inches)
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 9:12 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Would you be ok with a 14 inch? Or does it need to be full size (15.6 inches)


I actually like it smaller Wink What would you recommend?
Back to top

amother




Lemonchiffon
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:31 pm
I like buying laptops from Costco because of their amazing return policy - this is a pretty good one
https://www.costco.com/hp-14%2......html

It's not touchscreen but this is probably the fastest and most reliable computer you can get for under $400
Back to top

Ma3




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
I like buying laptops from Costco because of their amazing return policy - this is a pretty good one
https://www.costco.com/hp-14%2......html


Intel core I3 is a very slow computer. If you want fast speed to shop you will get very annoyed.
Back to top

amother




Lemonchiffon
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:37 pm
Ma3 wrote:
Intel core I3 is a very slow computer. If you want fast speed to shop you will get very annoyed.


Umm not really, this has an SSD which makes it pretty speedy, you're not getting much better in that price range. And 11th gen i3 is much faster than older i3s
Back to top

nicole81




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:44 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
I like buying laptops from Costco because of their amazing return policy - this is a pretty good one
https://www.costco.com/hp-14%2......html

It's not touchscreen but this is probably the fastest and most reliable computer you can get for under $400


This is a good one. HP is solid. For speed, look for 256+ssd and 11th gen Intel core. Right now prices are much higher than previously so it's hard to get a touch screen in your budget if it's not a specific sale. I usually buy from best buy, I'll take a peek over there now.
Back to top

nicole81




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:46 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Umm not really, this has an SSD which makes it pretty speedy, you're not getting much better in that price range. And 11th gen i3 is much faster than older i3s


This is correct. In fact the 11th gen i5 is quicker than the previous i7 so the # matters less than the version.
Back to top

nicole81




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:57 pm
This is the best on best buy imo around 400. You get the touch screen and 50% more ram than the Costco one, same ssd, but 10th gen i5 (which is plenty fine for shopping and streaming but will give you less battery life than the newer i3).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/h.....13692

I'd probably go for this one but if you want to stick firmly at 400 and below, the other machine is a fine choice.
Back to top

amother




Lemonchiffon
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 11:01 pm
nicole81 wrote:
This is the best on best buy imo around 400. You get the touch screen and 50% more ram than the Costco one, same ssd, but 10th gen i5 (which is plenty fine for shopping and streaming but will give you less battery life than the newer i3).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/h.....13692

I'd probably go for this one but if you want to stick firmly at 400 and below, the other machine is a fine choice.


Agree with this completely, this is a great one but obviously you've got to decide if it's worth going a bit above your budget.

nicole81 do you work in tech? It's rare to find women who know so much about laptops
Back to top

nicole81




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 11:17 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Agree with this completely, this is a great one but obviously you've got to decide if it's worth going a bit above your budget.

nicole81 do you work in tech? It's rare to find women who know so much about laptops


Ha, I wish! Maybe in another lifetime... I'm just self educated out of necessity after one toddler broke one computer, a second toddler crushed a screen and set a laptop on fire, and a third toddler poured 24 ounces of milk over my laptop... All in 3 years πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ and then my tech clueless hubs needed to go into accounting... I also spearheaded the computer science and design program at my school and have been building it from the ground up so I pick things up here and there😊 far from an expert though!
Back to top

Ma3




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 11:21 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Umm not really, this has an SSD which makes it pretty speedy, you're not getting much better in that price range. And 11th gen i3 is much faster than older i3s


You're right. With a budget of 400 you can't get much better really...
Back to top

amother




Lemonchiffon
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 11:21 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Ha, I wish! Maybe in another lifetime... I'm just self educated out of necessity after one toddler broke one computer, a second toddler crushed a screen and set a laptop on fire, and a third toddler poured 24 ounces of milk over my laptop... All in 3 years πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ and then my tech clueless hubs needed to go into accounting... I also spearheaded the computer science and design program at my school and have been building it from the ground up so I pick things up here and there😊 far from an expert though!


Nice! It's never too late!
I'm a software engineer but learned a little about hardware so I can help my friends who ask me which laptop they should get πŸ˜‰
Back to top

amother




Papaya
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 11:36 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
I like buying laptops from Costco because of their amazing return policy - this is a pretty good one
https://www.costco.com/hp-14%2......html

It's not touchscreen but this is probably the fastest and most reliable computer you can get for under $400

Curious how this compares with this one:. I'm so clueless I can't even tell the difference
https://www.costco.com/Catalog.....1080p
Back to top

nicole81




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 11:58 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Curious how this compares with this one:. I'm so clueless I can't even tell the difference
https://www.costco.com/Catalog.....1080p


It's similar but has an older processor. I'd stick with the 11th gen for 400.
Back to top

amother




Papaya
 

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 12:04 am
nicole81 wrote:
It's similar but has an older processor. I'd stick with the 11th gen for 400.

Thank you very much!
I ordered that one a week ago and if that's an older processor I'll just return it and get the newer one.
I appreciate your help πŸ˜ƒ
Back to top

amother




Cherry
 

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 5:57 pm
DH is a geek. And my computer needed replacement. I let him do the choosing for what I need as I am clueless. He bought me an "off lease" computer that was refurbished. I paid $329 for a computer that is 2 years old and cost btw $1200-$1400 new.

He keeps saying what a good computer it is and when his present one dies he will probably buy the same one for himself. (I'm kind of surprised he didn't give me his and take this one Surprised )

This is my first time using it as it showed up yesterday. So far I'm loving it.

If you want to know where he bought it, I can ask him.

ETA DH said it's from microcenter.com
Back to top

chocolate moose




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 7:41 pm
what's wrong with a desktop computer or an ipad?
Back to top

lauful




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 8:53 pm
Keep in mind that most laptops these days so not have a DVD drive. Do you need that for school? Also, if I were you, I'd stick with Dell or Lenovo. Or get a used MacBook
Back to top

lauful




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 9:01 pm
Whichever laptop you buy, make sure it comes with at least a years warranty or pay less for the laptop and get a warranty. I promise you, it's worth it.

Also, this laptop is excellent

https://www.microcenter.com/pr.....ilver
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Technology and Devices

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Does anyone know where I can buy a wig under $500?
by amother
7 Mon, Sep 20 2021, 4:11 pm View last post
Supplies to make hair bows for kids - where to buy
by amother
1 Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:25 am View last post
What did you buy your 3 yr old son for fall/winter?
by amother
22 Mon, Sep 20 2021, 1:50 am View last post
Where to buy jewellery in golders green
by amother
2 Sun, Sep 19 2021, 5:59 pm View last post
Local β€” where can I get a pretty serving tray for sukkah?
by amother
3 Sun, Sep 19 2021, 11:41 am View last post