Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are you American ?
1  2  Next

EstyEF

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:35 pm
Just curious- do you consider yourself American? Do you consider yourself white? Arguably I’m both those things but I was just wondering what other people thought about this because I find myself not feeling part of American society and not feeling very white because I’m not part of that either.,” I’m not totally closed off from the outside world- mycommunity is not super insular I just don’t feel like a white American . I don’t want to start a war about race or whatever . Just wondering what other frum women felt

OBnursemom

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:35 pm
I’m a Jew who was born in America

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:37 pm
I identify as American but not as white. When people talk about white culture they're clearly not talking about mine. I relate to jokes about Ashkenazim but not to jokes about white people.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:39 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I identify as an American but not as white. When people talk about white culture they're clearly not talking about mine. I relate to jokes about Ashkenazim but not to jokes about white people.

Me too. When filling out forms, I consider myself American but the race question is answered with “other”, not “white”.

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:42 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I identify as American but not as white. When people talk about white culture they're clearly not talking about mine. I relate to jokes about Ashkenazim but not to jokes about white people.

Same. American, but not white. I also check "other" when filling out forms.

EstyEF

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:46 pm
Interesting . I actually feel like it’s harder to identify as being American than it is to be white. When people say things like “oh Americans do such and such” or “American culture ..” it’s always something that I’ve never even thought about .,,

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:49 pm
EstyEF wrote:
Interesting . I actually feel like it’s harder to identify as being American than it is to be white. When people say things like “oh Americans do such and such” or “American culture ..” it’s always something that I’ve never even thought about .,,

But that's the fun of American culture, we've always been a 'melting pot' of cultures. I also identify with American values such as personal freedom. I understand that some imas in more insular communities might not feel a connection to their country.

sequoia

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:54 pm
I don’t even know anymore...

I want to start a Sequoia-country.

English-speaking. Small. Cold climate. Plenty of social programs. Free healthcare including vaccines. Total freedom of speech, assembly, religion or lack thereof. Common sense. Enlightenment values. No anti-Semitism. I’m the benevolent despot. Oh and tons of libraries.

Who wants to join me?

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:55 pm
I identify as American. I've never seen white on forms-it usually says Hispanic\Latino or not Hispanic\Latino. I check off not.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:56 pm
sequoia wrote:

English-speaking. Small. Cold climate. Plenty of social programs. Free healthcare including vaccines. Total freedom of speech, assembly, religion or lack thereof. Common sense. Enlightenment values. No anti-Semitism. I’m the benevolent despot. Oh and tons of libraries.

Who wants to join me?

Benevolent despot, I love that.

Reality

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:56 pm
I used to check off white. I now check other.

I am American because I was born here. I would describe myself as an American Jew.

I have always been very patriotic but lately I feel less patriotic. American culture is really on the decline.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 4:57 pm
Caucasian, US citizen

exaustedmom

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 5:01 pm
sequoia wrote:

Who wants to join me?

You got me at the libraries!

Success10

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 5:05 pm
As long as they keep giving out free money, you bet I'm American!

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 5:06 pm
How I feel at any given moment depends in large part upon the surroundings in which I find myself. if I am in an unfamiliar non-white neighbourhood I feel very very white. I once had the opportunity to be in Chinatown where all the store signs were in Chinese, all the food was presumably tref, and I couldn’t even be sure that everything that looked like produce was of vegetable origin. What I felt was very very NOT Chinese.

I also had the opportunity to be in a few places in the Bible Belt. Places with names like Christian county. Places where the political subdivision is a Parish, not a county. Places where I saw not one person of Hispanic, Asian, or African descent at whatever gathering I was attending. I felt neither white nor American; I felt very, very Jewish, very, very conspicuous and very, VERY uneasy. Almost as uneasy as you might feel riding the subway late at night and noticing that yours is the only light complexion in the entire car.

Now when I watch Israeli shows starring young people, (e.g. Srugim, Shtisel,) my old ears can’t hear anywhere nearly as fast as these youngsters talk. I need to see the action, read the Hebrew subtitles AND hear the dialogue to have any inkling of what’s going on. (And the younger the actors, the faster they talk.) I feel very, very American.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 5:09 pm
Jewish American
I don’t feel white and on forms that ask me to check of ethnicity I feel confused.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 5:09 pm
Success10 wrote:
As long as they keep giving out free money, you bet I'm American!

As long as you stick around for the inflation

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 6:02 pm
I’m definitely not American although my grandmother was.

EstyEF

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 6:17 pm
sequoia wrote:

Who wants to join me?

Ha, no anti-semitism and libraries? I'll join.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 6:26 pm
Definitely not American. There are lots of other continents where people can be born.

And now I live in our ancestral homeland.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics