Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Real tomatoes soup?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 8:29 pm
Does anyone know a good (obviously) tomato soup that uses only real tomatoes and not juice, sauce, or paste? I don't know if it exists, but if so, anyone? Thanks[/u]

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 8:31 pm
sure. I don't think it's posted here, though.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 8:34 pm
I've made lots of tomato soup with actual tomatoes. The only thing is that I do used canned tomatoes when tomatoes aren't in season, because the canned are so much better than hard, orange, tasteless tomatoes. But I always use actual tomatoes.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 8:35 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
sure. I don't think it's posted here, though.

Cm, I have to ask, why post this comment? Wouldn't you say sure, here's the recipe, or sure, here's the link, or sure, look here? Why just sure, but it's not here? Rolling Eyes

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 8:48 pm
I know it's not posted, I checked.
Clarissa, what's the recipe, please?

Clarissa

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 8:52 pm
I have several recipes for Cream of Tomato Soup, but you can go very light on the cream, or cream substitute, in them. I have a recipe for a low-fat Sweet Potato and Tomato Soup, but that may be too much sweet potato, rather than tomato. Last but not least, I have a recipe for an Indian Tomato Soup with Coconut.

The cream of tomato soups are the most traditional ones. Let me know what you'd like.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 9:07 pm
what kind of cream? I'm really limited, I have whipping cream, pareve milk, and milk. cream of tomato sounds good. thanx

Clarissa

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 9:26 pm
I generally experiment with the cream in any recipe, as I don't like too much cream in my soup. So I'll put in a little cream (or half and half) and taste and then add. This calls for light cream, so you might want to put a bit of cream and a bit of milk, in whatever amounts taste right.

Cream of Tomato Soup

3 Tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tablespoons white flour
1/4 cup Madeira or Marsala*
7 cups (2 28-ounce cans) peeled plum tomatoes, drain and reserve their juice
1 pinch cayenne
salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
1/4 to 1/2 cup light cream

1. In a heavy pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until they have softened. Add the garlic, and cook another minute or two. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stirring with a whisk, add the Madeira or Marsala. Then slowly add the juice from the plum tomatoes, whisking all the while so that lumps won't form. Add the tomatoes, and stir well.

2. Bring the soup to a boil, and let it simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Puree the soup with a blender or food processor, in batches if necessary. Blend in as much cream as you like, and serve the soup hot.

*my note: I've never found kosher Madeira, so I've used either Marsala or whatever wine we had on hand. You can use less, if you don't want it too winey.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 9:28 pm
thanks a lot

gumby

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:25 pm
Suzi Fishbeins short on time has a good recipe- no cream , but uses old roasted bread cubes ( like croutons) for creaminess

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 10:35 am
If youdon't get what you want, PM me andI'll get you the recipe. It's frsh tomatoes, water, herbs, and I forget what else, but nothing canned or preserved, that's for sure.

Toot

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 7:43 pm
Clarissa, could you post the Indian recipe please? I love Indian food, but I don't think I've ever had Indian soup. I have coconut milk on hand, is that what it calls for? Thanks!

Clarissa

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 8:01 pm
It actually calls for shredded, unsweetened coconut. If you want a soup that uses coconut milk instead, I've made this really tasty Thai one, but it's made with pumpkin and not tomato. Here's the tomato one:

INDIAN TOMATO SOUP WITH COCONUT

note: This recipe calls for pureed cooked tomatoes. You can puree canned tomatoes in the blender or food processor, or cook fresh peeled ones and then puree them. (Don't use canned tomato puree. It will be too thick and intense.) Approximately 2 pounds or 3 large tomatoes will yield 3 cups of puree.

The sesame and mustard seeds can be left whole or, for a finer-textured soup, ground (before cooking) to a powder in a spice mill or a clean coffee grinder.

Ingredients:
1 Cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 Cups boiling water
1/3 Cup sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole or ground cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
3/4 teaspoon each cinnamon and ground coriander
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt (increase to taste if using fresh tomatoes)
3 Cups pureed cooked tomatoes

Optional garnishes:
yogurt
a little cayenne
minced fresh mint leaves

1. Lightly toast the coconut, either by stirring it in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat or in a toaster oven. Watch very carefully to prevent burning.

2. Place the toasted coconut in a bowl, pour the boiling water over it, and let it soak for about 15 minutes. Strain through a fine strainer or sieve into another bowl, pressing out and reserving all excess liquid. Discard the coconut.

3. In a medium-sized cast-iron skillet, saute sesame, cumin and mustard seeds with cinnamon and coriander in butter over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they give off a deeply toasted smell (and the whole seeds start popping). Remove from heat and add salt.

4. Combine the sauteed seeds and spices with the coconut liquid in a soup pot or dutch oven. Add the tomatoes.

5 Heat just to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer very gently 15 to 20 minutes. Correct and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve topped with yogurt, cayenne, and a few sprigs of fresh mint.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 8:30 pm
I posted my recipe on another, separate thread

Toot

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 12:07 am
I have unsweetened coconut too, actually. Looks delicious, thanks!

MahPitom

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 9:45 am
I take an onion and add it to the pot with a bit of oil. Sautee it with 2 finely grated carrots. Then, slice in 2 zucchini, and as many tomatoes as you have. Add those to the pot. When it’s soft, add water and seasoning. Cook for a 30 minutes and then blend with an immersion blender, optional.

The Chuchmah of this soup is that the finely grated carrots gives a thickness to the soup which normally comes with fatty ingredients such as flour+oil. We happen not to like blended soups so the carrot adds the thickness and the floating squash ads the right texture.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

( you might want to skin the tomatoes first by dipping them into a boiling pot of water, then peeling them)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics