Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
If you are in shul all day on RH…
Previous  1  2

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 6:47 am
I'm blessed to live a few doors away from the shul, so sometimes I go home to quickly stick things into the oven (which I leave on 250F - low enough not to burn things, high enough to be able to slow-bake if I want to).

Also my DH davens 1/2 hour walk away for the day meals (he has to daven with his students) so we have time to get ready before he gets home. (drawback is everyone is hungry and noshing before the meal....)

etky

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 6:50 am
Elfrida wrote:
By us, approximately 5:00 - 12:00. Around six to seven hours.

Main course is normally served with sauce, so there is no risk of it drying out. Sometimes I'll prepare it in advance, and then put it in the crockpot to cook before leaving for shul. If I have a flame it's easy to cook something like rice while we are eating the first course. A lot depends on how organized I am that year!

Wow.
It takes us about 4 and a quarter - 4.5 hours in the mornings.
I'm guessing that you must be reciting many of the piyutim that appear in my machzor as 'optional', that we skip at our shul.

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:27 am
Since my kids have gotten big enough to go to shul, in order to enable me to go as well the older kids and I set the table together the night before, no matter how tired we are after the seudah. Salads are made in the morning since I am fine getting to shul in the middle of Shacharis and catching up. I live about a 2 minute walk from shul and go home during the Haftorah/Rav's speech before the first shofer blowing to put food in the oven. That is usually around 10:30 a.m. I purposely freeze marinated chicken raw and then I put the raw chicken in the oven, which will take a minimum of 2.5 hours to cook and is so delicious and fresh when we are ready to eat. I do run out immediately after the last shofer blowing as well, which gives me a few extra minutes to stick quicker to heat sides in the oven, like rewarming roasted veggies and rice and warming up the challah.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:40 am
etky wrote:
Wow.
It takes us about 4 and a quarter - 4.5 hours in the mornings.
I'm guessing that you must be reciting many of the piyutim that appear in my machzor as 'optional', that we skip at our shul.

We actually say very few piyutim, but probably we say it slower than you do. 5 - 12 is rounding it off in both directions. It is a vatikin minyan, and this year we started at 5:20, so I was getting things out of the fridge and on to the platta around 5:00. We finished around 11:30, but then it takes about ten minutes to walk home, and people want to go to the bathroom, and change their shoes and so on... we made kiddush around 12:00.

So 5 - 12 is the total time that food was in the platta, but the time in shul was probably closer to six hours. There is no break for kiddush in shul, so we are fairly hungry by the time we get back

essie14

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:53 am
I think the issue is what people call all day and how long your davening is.
We started at 745 and ended at 1145. We normally end around that time on shabbat so it wasnt really that different for me. I couldn't go at the start anyway because I have a toddler.

keym

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 8:02 am
essie14 wrote:
I think the issue is what people call all day and how long your davening is.
We started at 745 and ended at 1145. We normally end around that time on shabbat so it wasnt really that different for me. I couldn't go at the start anyway because I have a toddler.

Exactly.
We start at around 7:45 and finish at around 2:45 (with a 20 minute kiddush break).

I have little ones so it's not relevant to me.
But our shul is a 1 minute walk from our house so many women run out after kedusha, throw the food in the oven and run back, getting back by tekios of malchiyos.
They'll leave right after the last tekios to finish setting the table and make a salad.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur