Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
4O day challenge of no watching
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:55 am
Can someone explain how this is a kabbalah?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:02 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I’m currently in a “don’t watch anything on YouTube until after Yom Kippur challenge.”
It’s HARD! And so far I’ve resisted the urge to watch amazon prime and the such because they are the same problem.
me too#

losingweight

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:19 am
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
Can someone explain how this is a kabbalah?

It's a kabbalah in shmiras einayim.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 3:31 am
applebutter wrote:
So to summarize and add some tips :
1. This is an amazing challenge and goal ! Be proud of yourselves!
2. Use a strong filter like Gentech, not just parental guidelines set up by you or a friend or husband like I did which made it easy to open YouTube on a whim
3. The times you would watch have to be filled with something else or else you will flip. Talk on the phone, journal, take a bath, organize a space in your home. Choose on or two and let those be your go-to’s when you feel the “watching” urge
4. Envision your children now and when they grow into teenagers and so on. What kind of kids do you want? This helped me. My kids get zero screen time and I have a really hard time managing everyone but! When they come home from biking and basketball etc. I know it’s worth it. They used they’re minds and bodies to be creative and have fun instead of letting they’re eyes and brains glaze over when watching a screen
5. Use something to psychology trick your mind into complying with this challenge. If “your such a bad lazy mom stop watching” triggers you - don’t use it ! If that’s what pumps you up to stop then great! No one ever changed from beating them selves up.
6. If I can stop (10+ years strong!) you could too! I’m JPF and I did it … although there’s some slips on the way. But use the tools we have available to us, to get back up Smile

GOOD LUCK:)

I think these are fantastic. I, too, am part of the "No YT till after YK (at minimum) bli neder" club. I don't get Ami, so I didn't see the article, but I am self aware enough to know it's a huge waste of my time. I want to highlight #3 and #4.

I knew I'd need a "go-to" replacement for my ME time. While I wish I was on a madreiga that I would say tehillim or something like that, it felt too much of a stretch. So I decided that when I feel the urge, I would replace with visiting imamother 🙈 TMI . Is it holy per se? No. But if it helps me wean off the need to watch something, it's good enough for now.

I also think about my kids and the values I want to give to them. I don't watch anything when they're around, but I do think about how I'd feel if they'd be spending that much time glued to a screen. Raising them is an inspiration to me, and I hope I can be zoche to see them become way better than I am.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 3:35 am
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
This makes no sense
There are no in-person Shiurim where I live
All my inspiration and Torah comes from YouTube

It sounds like this is not a challenge for you. BH!

However, for anyone who maybe mixes "business" with pleasure, and needs an alternative, maybe another site like Torah Anytime would work?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 3:42 am
I stopped Instagram cold turkey last Pesach. I don’t miss it.

Instead I end up watching more shows…

So, I made a Kabbalah to only watch Jewish things until after YK or however long it lasts. I watched on Amazon Prime a movie called Seferad and a documentary called Rabbis Outback both have been inspiring so I don’t feel like my time was wasted (like I do after watching a regular movie).

Looking for other recommendations….

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 3:43 am
My husband also read the article over shabbos and asked me if I read it. I had. Then he says so what am I going to do about it? I already know I'm on my phone a lot, bh yes I do want to do something about it. But I didnt like his tone. Bh after reading this post I will try to do better. My kids too.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 4:19 am
rainbow dash wrote:
My husband also read the article over shabbos and asked me if I read it. I had. Then he says so what am I going to do about it? I already know I'm on my phone a lot, bh yes I do want to do something about it. But I didnt like his tone. Bh after reading this post I will try to do better. My kids too.

It sounds like this is a struggle that he doesn't have, so it was essentially him pointing out something challenging to you. I also don't accept mussar well when given like that.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:06 am
I want to join.
Not sure how long I will last, but count me in.
I watch every night before I go to sleep, but I will try doing something else...

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:10 am
I did it yesterday!! And it was so hard for me bec I usually watch for a couple hours after shabbos. I want to try agin today...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:49 am
Agree, last night was hard! Hope it will get easier with time!

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 11:02 am
here to cheer you all on. In the beginning it's really hard but the less you watch the less enticing it is. from an avid tv watcher...

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:49 pm
So I got rid of Amazon Prime a while ago and I'm sticking to it. But I do feel the need to unwind with something and need ideas to fill that void. Please give me ideas.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:34 pm
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
So I got rid of Amazon Prime a while ago and I'm sticking to it. But I do feel the need to unwind with something and need ideas to fill that void. Please give me ideas.

Reading?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:18 pm
someone please post a picture of the article
I can use chizuk

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 11:03 pm
I mistakenly clicked on a news report video on a Jewish news website when I reminded myself that I’m on a 40 day challenge. I’m so glad I was able to quickly shut it. Thanks to all of you for the chizzuk. I’m not sure I’d be strong enough on my own. It’s also helpful that it’s such busy timing now so I’m not as tempted as a regular mid season day...

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I mistakenly clicked on a news report video on a Jewish news website when I reminded myself that I’m on a 40 day challenge. I’m so glad I was able to quickly shut it. Thanks to all of you for the chizzuk. I’m not sure I’d be strong enough on my own. It’s also helpful that it’s such busy timing now so I’m not as tempted as a regular mid season day...

Good for you! Yes, being busy definitely helps!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:21 am
Had such a hard time refraining tonight. Really needed the airing out after a hard day. BH I was able to keep my commitment! Thanks all!

lk1234

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 10:25 am
Can someone post the article

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 20 2021, 12:30 am
Still going strong bh. Anyone with me?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur