Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
PSA - parents watch your children!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

#BestBubby

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 10:51 pm
Tirza wrote:
Vermilion, no, that is not ok. A 3 year old can easily run out into the street, fall and hurt herself, or get into other kinds of danger, and it will happen in a few seconds, so checking every 10-15 minutes is not at all sufficient. And please don’t rely on your 7 year old to watch the 3 year old. 7 year olds playing outside also need to be watched by an adult.
Please don’t send your kids out to play if you’re not able to go out also and watch them the whole time.

Disagree re: the 7 year old.

It was very common until recently for 7 year olds to play unsupervised and cross streets.
I was taught to cross one way streets with a light at age 6. I went to the grocery and
bought milk for my mother.

In one of the famous REMONA books, parents let Ramona and her friend Howie walk
to school together without adults at age 5, crossing several streets. Written in the 1970s.

In the famous SNOWY DAY book, a boy around 4 or 5 plays outside in front of house
without supervision. Written in the 1960s.

hodeez

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 10:59 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

It was very common until recently for 7 year olds to play unsupervised and cross streets.
I was taught to cross one way streets with a light at age 6. I went to the grocery and

to school together without adults at age 5, crossing several streets. Written in the 1970s.

In the famous SNOWY DAY book, a boy around 4 or 5 plays outside in front of house

It was more out of necessity back then. My parents and grandparents also did things at age 6 that I was never allowed to do. My grandmother watched her younger brother when she was 6 and he was 2. She fried eggs, protected him during an earthquake and walked who knows how far to buy milk and bread at 4AM. It was just different back then. Kids were older much younger.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 11:10 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

You are providing examples where things turned out ok. But the risk is so high. I don't begin to understand how people can take it. With their own children, no less. Ok so you knew how to cross the street, and listened bh . But even if I put aside the street crossing, what could a 7 year old do, if there was a threat from a stranger? Especially if theres a getaway car.

amother
Bluebell

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 11:16 pm
hodeez wrote:
It was more out of necessity back then. My parents and grandparents also did things at age 6 that I was never allowed to do. My grandmother watched her younger brother when she was 6 and he was 2. She fried eggs, protected him during an earthquake and walked who knows how far to buy milk and bread at 4AM. It was just different back then. Kids were older much younger.

I don't believe the "kids were older younger" mentality. I think they were treated that way, but not that they were inherently different. In the 70s and 80s there were higher rates of crimes against children than more recently. It was more normal to have latchkey kids or let your kids out alone, but there are unfortunately endless stories of kids getting kidnapped, assaulted, and worse. I think the Adam Walsh case changed things.

Of course unfortunately these things can still happen but at least there's hopefully somewhat less opportunity.

#BestBubby

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 11:18 pm
OP, stranger abductions are extremely rare.

It doesn't happen on a block full of children playing - but where a child is all alone.

daagahminayin

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 11:19 pm
OP, the world is lucky to have people like you watching out for these children!

Honestly, I think you might need to take more action in this case. Did you talk to the family and what did they say? Do you suspect neglect?

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
I live in a popular lakewood area and I rarely if ever see an adult watching any children outside
Dozens of little children on each block, I've seen children run across the street without looking too many times to count! It's a miracle we dont hear of children being hit and C'V killed every day.
Perhaps the parents think their elementary age children are old enough to watch the toddlers, they are not! I've seen babies in strollers outside alone also too many times to count! I've seen preschool age kids run across the street without looking with younger siblings they are too young to be watching.

Once a baby was in the street and the toddler sibling was on the curb screaming "come back!" Evidently the mother taught the toddler to not go in the street, but a 3 yr old is not old enough to watch a baby! BH no cars were coming! (I waited till the mother came out, she looked indifferent)

If I saw the front door was open with little children outside I'd assume the parent ran in for 30 seconds to turn off the oven etc. But because the front door is closed and no adults in sight it looks like ppl dont find a problem with their little children outside alone where anything can happen. And all it takes is a minute for a kidnapper to throw a kid in the car and all the other preschoolers would be able to tell the police: "it was a [gentile]!" So helpful.

I've always assumed that I'm just overly protective because I waited years until I was blessed with children, nice to see I'm not the only one who cares and thinks it crazy how little children arent supervised

What are the parents so busy with?

amother
Crocus

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 11:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You are providing examples where things turned out ok. But the risk is so high. I don't begin to understand how people can take it. With their own children, no less. Ok so you knew how to cross the street, and listened bh . But even if I put aside the street crossing, what could a 7 year old do, if there was a threat from a stranger? Especially if theres a getaway car.

On my and many other streets and developments, there can be 50 or more kids outside at once ranging from age 3-4 to teens. There are always adults out as well. We all know to look out for each other's kids. No one will ignore a child in trouble and danger. And the chances of someone abducting a child when there are so many other people around, are next to nothing.
I don't let my kids outside alone when there are no other kids outside. I do let them outside when the street is crowded with kids.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 11:37 pm
OP, have I missed you telling us how the parents reacted?

Imas, Im very sorry, but I think this family needs monitoring.

outofthe box

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 11:39 pm
I live on a quiet street. My boys are 10 and 11 and I try to be outside or rotate with my teens. There are strangers and random cars that drive by. Boys will be boys especially in a group. Thanks for the vote of confidence as I sometimes wonder if I am overdoing it as none of my neighbors stay outside.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 12:04 am
Ok I will supervise them 100% of the time from now on. There is no need to yell at me. There are usually 40+ kids outside and no adults. I was asking a question. You can be kind when you answer.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:32 am
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:
I don't believe the "kids were older younger" mentality. I think they were treated that way, but not that they were inherently different. In the 70s and 80s there were higher rates of crimes against children than more recently. It was more normal to have latchkey kids or let your kids out alone, but there are unfortunately endless stories of kids getting kidnapped, assaulted, and worse. I think the Adam Walsh case changed things.

Of course unfortunately these things can still happen but at least there's hopefully somewhat less opportunity.

The Media hypes these very rare kidnapping stories to scare parents into not
allowing kids to play outside unsupervised.

Because children who grow up free, independent and resourceful are a threat to Tyrants.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:34 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Ok I will supervise them 100% of the time from now on. There is no need to yell at me. There are usually 40+ kids outside and no adults. I was asking a question. You can be kind when you answer.

I think it is fine to let a 7 y.o. play outside with 40+ kids.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:36 am
An 8 year old boy is a baby. The fact that the sister was in the street and could have gotten killed ch"v is proof.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:39 am
An 8 y.o. is not a baby.

But is too young to be responsible for a younger child.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:41 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:

I see this in Israel all the time, and it scares me to death. Kids are out even as late as 11pm, tiny little kids, not teens. There are roving hoards of them, and not an adult to be found. I think that every family assumes that someone else's parents will be there to take care of things.

I see cars pull out of parking spaces without looking, and very little kids won't even be seen even if the driver looks back carefully, or if the kid darts behind suddenly. Tragedies happen every year just from this situation alone. Crying

A friend of mine almost ran over her 2yo once. She was going to work, and the 2yo wanted her to stay home. The little girl thought that if she stood behind the van that she could make it stop. I was supposed to be watching her, but she slipped out the front door in a heartbeat. I caught her just in time, but a split second later would have been too late.

You could have the most responsible kids in the world, but the world is not always the safest place for them to be without an adult around. I believe in free range, but only within the bounds of rational supervision!

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:21 am
outofthe box wrote:
I live on a quiet street. My boys are 10 and 11 and I try to be outside or rotate with my teens. There are strangers and random cars that drive by. Boys will be boys especially in a group. Thanks for the vote of confidence as I sometimes wonder if I am overdoing it as none of my neighbors stay outside.

Honestly, it's helicopter parenting to watch a 11 and 10 year old outside every second. It's not the same at all as a 2/3 year old or 7/8 year old.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:21 am
Double post

English3

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:05 am
This week I witnessed three little kids on my road lying on the road for a few minutes, including a two year old. There was an adult outside, it looked like it was his kids so I didn't run out. Only after the kids stood up did I see him knocking on the neighbors door to tell them what their kids are doing.
It was scary
It is a one way street but the neglect is crazy.

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:15 am
Why is it that the parents when confronted with their kids being outside are indifferent? So sad.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics