Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
If you have a heter to eat on YK

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 2:32 am
Do you eat really plain foods, so at least you feel like you're doing something different for the day, or do you just eat normally?

I mean, I wouldn't make myself a triple fudge ice cream sundae, or a big bowl of beef stew. I generally have something like a salad, cottage cheese, or a yogurt. Dairy or vegetarian, and cold of course.

What do you eat?

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 2:37 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you eat really plain foods, so at least you feel like you're doing something different for the day, or do you just eat normally?

I mean, I wouldn't make myself a triple fudge ice cream sundae, or a big bowl of beef stew. I generally have something like a salad, cottage cheese, or a yogurt. Dairy or vegetarian, and cold of course.

What do you eat?

It sounds like you're talking about a different kind of heter, but years ago I received a heter to eat in teaspoonfuls (not the exact measurement so don't rely on that. It was a small measurement). I ate the same bland food every so often. I don't remember if it was every hour or what

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 2:37 am
It’s a Yom tov. Meat is fine. It’s not a sad day like 9Av, so happy foods are okay. If you have a full heter, ask about Kiddush and bentching. Olso ask if it’s appropriate to make a proper seuda.

s1

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 3:42 am
My grandmother never fasted and she always had a full shabbos/yomtov lunch with challah and cholent.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 3:59 am
Iymnok wrote:
It’s a Yom tov. Meat is fine. It’s not a sad day like 9Av, so happy foods are okay. If you have a full heter, ask about Kiddush and bentching. Olso ask if it’s appropriate to make a proper seuda.

Ask your rov about kiddush and shehecheyanu.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:34 am
It just feels so weird. Confused

Before I got my heter not to fast at all, I did the shirum thing with pre-measured water and protein bars. It did not work, and I ended up having to break the fast.

I was told to eat and drink like a normal day, but I don't want anything "festive". Maybe it's more of an emotional question than a halachic one.

I was also told that I'm not allowed to feel guilty because this is absolutely necessary for my health. Ugh, this is so hard!

(Lymnok, do you remember Rabbi David from the Seattle Kollel? He sent the shaila to his father in NYC, who sent it to 3 rabbonim who specialize in medical halacha. I never even thought about kiddush and shehecheyanu.)

I will ask. Thanks!

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:50 am
I will be drinking shiurim, and was wondering something similar. The last time I did this, I used water, juice, and flavored water.

This time I was wondering about my cold coffee drink. (I need the fluids, I don't need the caffeine). It feels a little wrong, but I can't think of a reason why it would actually BE wrong to drink 30 oz of a prepared iced coffee instead of 30 oz of flavored water, so I'm just gonna do it.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 5:47 am
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
I will be drinking shiurim, and was wondering something similar. The last time I did this, I used water, juice, and flavored water.

This time I was wondering about my cold coffee drink. (I need the fluids, I don't need the caffeine). It feels a little wrong, but I can't think of a reason why it would actually BE wrong to drink 30 oz of a prepared iced coffee instead of 30 oz of flavored water, so I'm just gonna do it.

My rav specifically told me to drink something with calories like chocolate milk, grape juice or Gatorade. I don’t eat sugar so I will be doing milk, but I will probably do an ice (decaf) coffee.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 5:53 am
It only happened once and it was because of childbirth and I was told that hydration was the main concern so I drank small sips of plain milk every 9 minutes.
Everyone has different needs so my solution might not help everyone.

someoneoutthere

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 6:19 am
While the emotional pull to eat "bland" or unfestive is understandable, yom kippur is a yomtov. If you wash you may need to say yaaleh vyavoh in bentching; kiddush is also a shaala. These things signify that it is a yomtov. Personally I eat shiurim, not full meals, but I stick to foods that are pleasant to me to eat like granola bars, nuts, gatorade.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 6:24 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
It just feels so weird. Confused

Before I got my heter not to fast at all, I did the shirum thing with pre-measured water and protein bars. It did not work, and I ended up having to break the fast.

I was told to eat and drink like a normal day, but I don't want anything "festive". Maybe it's more of an emotional question than a halachic one.

I was also told that I'm not allowed to feel guilty because this is absolutely necessary for my health. Ugh, this is so hard!

(Lymnok, do you remember Rabbi David from the Seattle Kollel? He sent the shaila to his father in NYC, who sent it to 3 rabbonim who specialize in medical halacha. I never even thought about kiddush and shehecheyanu.)

I will ask. Thanks!

I know that you and I have talked about this before: I also cannot fast for medical reasons. Usually, we break the fast at a friend's, so I spend the day eating plain food. This year I will be surrounded by the plethora of dishes ready and waiting to break the fast, and it's not going to be easy to keep myself from tasting everything. I know I *can* but it feels wrong.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 7:33 am
If you have a heter to legit eat (as opposed to shiurim) you're supposed to make kiddush and hamotzie and bench (with yaaleh veyavo!) It's a Yom tov, not a day of mourning. I mean, I think it's fine to go no frills, but you are supposed to have a seuda (as in, making motzie) if you're eating, so it's different than Tisha B'Av etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur