Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do your kids wear robes?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Do you/your kids/most people wear shabbos robes?
Yes- tri state  
 60%  [ 154 ]
Yes- not tri state  
 15%  [ 39 ]
No  
 18%  [ 48 ]
Some do but not most  
 4%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 253

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:58 am
moonstone wrote:
So true. I don't know anyone who spends $90 on a child's outfit.

I've never really understood the point of Shabbat robes, but I assumed they were for moms with a lot of kids who just wanted something loose and comfortable to wear after an exhausting day of preparing for Shabbat. OK, I can sort of see that, though I do think it's odd for women to go out and about, visiting neighbors, etc., wearing a robe.

But until this thread I didn't realize that little girls wear these robes, too. That sounds weird, not to mention uncomfortable when playing games that require running and jumping. Why can't they just wear regular clothes?

In our communities women don't go out visiting people in a shabbos robe. It's for the house. Little girls wear shabbos robes because they are comfy and easy and washable and pretty for shabbos.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:16 am
dankbar wrote:
Dr mom, the poster before you linked to one of the the stores company who produces the hi end robes

Yes, I think we cross-posted.

I get the idea of those for winter. Something cozy and comfy and long and warm.

But they don't look practical for playing outdoors. Seems like you'd trip over the hem if you tried to do anything active.

And for summer, I don't understand the need -- just wear a simple dress if you don't want to wear a fancy shabbat dress at the dinner table (or maybe that's what is done and it is just called a "robe" in certain communities).

All of the above comments refer to kids. For adults. I totally get the idea of wanted to slip into something comfy. I guess I just don't get the pricetag.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:30 am
Bathrobe? Yes. Shabbos robe, No. very much tristate

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:31 am
Quote:
All of the above comments refer to kids. For adults. I totally get the idea of wanted to slip into something comfy. I guess I just don't get the pricetag.

I didn't grow up in a robe wearing culture, but this summer I bought myself what was being sold as a beach dress and designated it a robe.

The price was similar to what I would pay for any other dress. It's long and loose and comfortable, and great to slip on after the meal. I wouldn't wear it outside, but I don't feel undressed if a friend drops round. If teenage girls asked me for something similar I wouldn't mind buying it for them.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:55 am
Elfrida wrote:
Quote:

I didn't grow up in a robe wearing culture, but this summer I bought myself what was being sold as a beach dress and designated it a robe.

The price was similar to what I would pay for any other dress. It's long and loose and comfortable, and great to slip on after the meal. I wouldn't wear it outside, but I don't feel undressed if a friend drops round. If teenage girls asked me for something similar I wouldn't mind buying it for them.

I actually think many of this season's dresses (the knee-length ones; not the maxi dresses) look like housecoats. Those would probably work too.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 6:07 am
I think what a lot of people might be missing is that in the communities where robes are most popular this girls would have to wear tights with a regular length shabbos dress and this way with a long robe they can wear socks and it's comfortable and still shabbosdik and acceptable within the community standards. So for Friday night after that take a bath/shower instead of having to put on an outfit and tights they can put on a shabbos "robe" which is a comfortable longer dress and wear it, maybe even fall asleep in it and mom can throw it in the washing machine every week and there it is ready for next Friday night.
If you are going to shul or a simcha you would put on a more formal outfit and wear tights and shoes etc

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 6:12 am
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
I think what a lot of people might be missing is that in the communities where robes are most popular this girls would have to wear tights with a regular length shabbos dress and this way with a long robe they can wear socks and it's comfortable and still shabbosdik and acceptable within the community standards. So for Friday night after that take a bath/shower instead of having to put on an outfit and tights they can put on a shabbos "robe" which is a comfortable longer dress and wear it, maybe even fall asleep in it and mom can throw it in the washing machine every week and there it is ready for next Friday night.
If you are going to shul or a simcha you would put on a more formal outfit and wear tights and shoes etc

Okay, that makes sense.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 6:18 am
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:

Interesting. I Guess it never I occurred to me that tights would have to be worn even around the house. Very interesting

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 6:29 am
I wait until the end of the season and buy the velour robes very cheap. To me they're more like a 'nightgown' but look fancy enough to be used as a dress for the night meal. My kids call them shabbos pajamas. They go to sleep in them if they want. I like them because I don't need to make sure they're wearing a shell or tights under their dress. They're a nice dark material that doesn't get stained and it washes well.
And it also means I don't need as many dresses for them for shabbos as they get whatever they wear dirty.

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 6:35 am
Lol. When I was in 5th grade a girl moved from NY to our OOT community and we became friends.
One Friday night she came to my house and I asked why she was wearing a bathrobe. She informed me that it was a Shabbos robe. Now I'm in the know Wink

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 6:45 am
Yes. When we lived OOT and now that we live in the tristate area.

Cspybe

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:06 am
amother [ Birch ] wrote:
Lol. When I was in 5th grade a girl moved from NY to our OOT community and we became friends.
One Friday night she came to my house and I asked why she was wearing a bathrobe. She informed me that it was a Shabbos robe. Now I'm in the know Wink

I have yet to see a shabbos robe that looks anything like a bath robe

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:11 am
I said yes but my kids wear them Friday night only. They sleep in them. I'm not sure I've even spent $20 on one ever for them, usually more like $10 in clearance sales or hand me downs...

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:14 am
For those of us with
1. Super sensory kids
2. Frantic schedules that preclude finding or washing TWO dresses per shabbos per child every Friday (lol)
…robes are a blessing!!

Some years I find on sale. Some years I pay $$ and wear for two seasons. Some years I buy maxi dresses from old navy with shells. But we always have robes because I survive on them!!!! Without them my kids would be wearing garbage bags with holes for arms

And EVERYTHING we own is washable including winter coats :-)

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:15 am
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
Interesting. I Guess it never I occurred to me that tights would have to be worn even around the house. Very interesting

Tights are worn under the robes too.

benny

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:16 am
My kids wear Friday night after their bath. It’s easy wear, beautiful, don’t need tights, doesn’t need ironing, they can sleep in it, throw in the wash and hang to dry. Done.
Shabbos morning they get dressed in their regular shabbos clothes which may be more delicate and take more care.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:18 am
moonstone wrote:
So true. I don't know anyone who spends $90 on a child's outfit.

I've never really understood the point of Shabbat robes, but I assumed they were for moms with a lot of kids who just wanted something loose and comfortable to wear after an exhausting day of preparing for Shabbat. OK, I can sort of see that, though I do think it's odd for women to go out and about, visiting neighbors, etc., wearing a robe.

But until this thread I didn't realize that little girls wear these robes, too. That sounds weird, not to mention uncomfortable when playing games that require running and jumping. Why can't they just wear regular clothes?

Mine wear robes, it’s the best.
They take a bath / shower on Friday before Shabbat and then put on a cozy comfy robe which is also beautiful, instead of a stiff dress. We don’t go out with them though we just lounge on the couch , and use it for Friday night only, for the meal.
the farthest we’d go is a close neighbor. If we end up going further away then everyone gets properly dressed.
Shabbos morning they wear a dress / outfit.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:22 am
I found very nice ones in Totinni (Lakewood) for under $40

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Another thread got me thinking…
It’s not a big thing where I live so I’m curious.

I have two girls. I just bought them robes. Sometimes they wear them, sometimes they don’t.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:24 am
They are nothing like bathrobes, not really loungewear either.
You can call it a dressy maxi dress if that explains it better. So much more comfy then wearing a short elegant dress around the house.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics