Home

[PICTURE!] Bugs in Quinoa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 1:46 am
(Apologies to Jewishfoodie)

I hate checking food for bugs. First of all, because it's a pain in the neck. Second of all, I don't know what I'm looking for!

(If anyone knows of a book that shows actual photos of the kinds of bugs I can expect to find in various produce, I'd appreciate it.)

For my contribution to the cause, since I heard that one must check quinoa, I dutifully bought a strainer and shake each 1 lb bag over a white surface to check it before cooking. Despite doing this with tens of bags of quinoa (DH eats it a lot), I never find anything. (The half-circle things are not worms, they are part of the quinoa.)

But then on Friday I got my first infested bag! Yay for me!

So l'toeles horabim, I am sharing a photo of what quinoa bugs (booklice?) look like in real life.

They were clearly moving around, and not at all the same shape as the quinoa pieces. I'm only sorry I didn't put a piece of quinoa down for scale, but the half circles should be a good guide.

And close up:

amother

Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 1:54 am
Thanks for sharing.
What brand?

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 1:58 am
Bakers choice has vaccum packed checked quinoa

amother

OP

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 2:05 am
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
What brand?

This was Village Harvest (not my first time getting this brand). I usually get the Great Value one though. But I live way OOT, so probably different lots anyhow.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 3:54 am
Eeep! Thanks for sharing!

Those bugs are super tiny. Kol hakavod for searching so well, even though it's such a pain.

You should get extra merit for being so careful, and for letting the rest of us know.

amother

Eggshell

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 9:33 am
Thank you! This was so helpful.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 8:23 pm
good for you!!!
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen