Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
15 yr old dd still hasn’t gotten first period
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 11:35 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
Why are you asking on Imamother?!

Your mother, yourself and your other daughters all got it by age 12. She is 15. You know that doesn't sound right, so who cares what our opinion is? You are the mom and realize that in YOUR family, this is ‘off’.

This is also common IME. That mother and most of dds get period age 12-13, and one girl gets at 16. Especially if she is on the skinny side.

Go to the endo if it will calm your fears, but I wouldn't stress her out. Tell her it's perfectly normal and should show up within the next year and a half.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 11:45 pm
It's perfectly normal, but there's a higher than average chance she has PCOS.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 11:49 pm
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
It's perfectly normal, but there's a higher than average chance she has PCOS.

Maybe, but the girls I know who got at 16-17 don't have pocs. They were mainly skinnier than average, I think that's a factor (still within normal weight range though).

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 4:15 am
To allay your concerns in the meantime you can also ask your gyn what s/he thinks informally just for frame of reference

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 12:41 pm

My older daughter had also not gotten her period yet by her 15th birthday, even though she was developed on top. My younger daughter (they are about 18 months apart) got hers around her 12th birthday. My sister and I had gotten ours around 12 yo also. Older Daughter has a history of stomach complaints, which we have seen doctors for and they keep finding nothing wrong. Went to endocrinologist re no periods at 14.5, also said everything seems ok, bh. Then shortly after her 15th birthday she woke up with a horrible migraine, was so sick, the doctor sent us to a neurologist. He was really nice, a frum guy, took it pretty seriously because of some other details, gave her a whole bunch of tests. BH everything was ok.
She got her period the next day. Apparently the migraine was due to the changing hormone levels. (Interestingly, her periods are much more regular than my younger daughter's.)

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 1:15 pm
I stained for a day when I was 12, then nothing until 15. I was so so nervous! kept davening to have kids. And BH I did have my first few really close. If your DD is nervous I would ask your her if she wants to go to doc. Tell her it's not very concerning but you can go just to make sure...

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 3:47 pm
PS, my daughter who had the migraine the day before her first period, also grew more than an inch taller in the following four months.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 3:57 pm
I have one girl who got hers at 15, another at 12, and an 11 year old with zero signs of development. I was within a month of my 15th birthday when I got mine. I wasn’t concerned. It happened in its own good time.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 8:03 pm
Just a suggestion
where I live u can buy aloe vera products and there's one product that helps getting the period.
maby worth a try

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 7:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Should I be concerned? My mother, my other daughters and I all got our first period when we were 12 years old.. when we went for my dd’s annual well visit, the Dr. checked her to make sure a piece of skin wasn’t preventing her from menstruating, which it wasn’t. She said if by 16 she still hasn’t, then time to go to an endocrinologist. Should I be concerned? I’m worried.. what could be wrong? Thanx!

Not sure if you are still needing help, but your DD could have PCOS, which is not a reason to be an alarmist, and it also is not something that precludes the ability to have children - she needs an OB/GYN to be able to assess. but one who is familiar with PCOS and teenagers (not only adults), they exist (this kind of Dr.), and, it is best for her to know, if she does have PCOS, so that she is not put on any hormones without getting options - it is not just an Endo who can diagnosis this type of thing - food for thought, but it should not make her or you panic - hatzlacha...

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 8:01 pm
If it does happen to be PCOS, the severity varies, and for a lot of people the symptoms are really mild and insignificant. But it's good to know if it is to be able to keep track of levels and prevent symptoms.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children