Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
I did IVF - AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:54 am
My ivf cycle was pushed off because it was too close to pesach and we couldn't get Hashgacha
And bonei only pays for retrieval when there is Hashgacha
I was very frustrated when it was pushed off

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 9:30 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Off topic but does it make sense that a man gets tired after dtd? Also he has absolutely no interest in doing it he only does it because he wants kids

It would be a good idea to start your own thread to ask these questions. This thread is so educational, we don’t want to derail it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 10:59 am
amother [ Clover ] wrote:
If male factor is the issue, is IVF usually the only option?

It depends on the severity. But when it’s not a light issue, IVF is usually the only option.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:07 am
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Was it difficult for you to accept that you were fertile and that it was your husband's "fault" that you couldn't conceive?

Was it difficult that people around you seemingly get pregnant any time they walk into the same room as their husbands, and there's something wrong with you that you couldn't?

I didn’t see it as fault. My husband felt a lot at fault though. It didn’t occur to me to blame him. But the part of my being fertile that was hard was the consistent monthly cycles, the physical reminder that my body was functioning optimally and yet nothing will come of it.

Seeing pregnant women was very hard for a long time.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:14 am
What exactly is hashgacha and how does it work?

Is the retrieval and/or IUI usually at a very specific time? what if it needs to be at night?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:24 am
I've done IVF too. 4 complete fresh cycles plus one cycle using frozen eggs (not embryos.)

My question is... Were you advised to take supplements before starting your treatment in an effort to increase the chance of it working?

Also... Did you do long or short protocol?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:25 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
What exactly is hashgacha and how does it work?

Is the retrieval and/or IUI usually at a very specific time? what if it needs to be at night?

Hashgacha is a frum person overseeing the handling of the specimen, to ensure that the correct eggs/sperm/embryos remain with the people they belong to.

Retrieval is very specifically timed. But the entire cycle is controlled, so we take a trigger shot at the exact time the doctor/nurse tells us to, to ensure the retrieval will be done during office hours.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:30 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
I've done IVF too. 4 complete fresh cycles plus one cycle using frozen eggs (not embryos.)

My question is... Were you advised to take supplements before starting your treatment in an effort to increase the chance of it working?

Also... Did you do long or short protocol?

No, the doctor did not advise any supplements other than prenatals (like any woman planning to get pregnant should, specifically folic acid).

I honestly don’t remember if it was long or short. But my assumption is that you’re dealing with FF, and so you’d probably get better responses from those with similar dx.

Wishing you bracha in your attempts.

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hashgacha is a frum person overseeing the handling of the specimen, to ensure that the correct eggs/sperm/embryos remain with the people they belong to.

Retrieval is very specifically timed. But the entire cycle is controlled, so we take a trigger shot at the exact time the doctor/nurse tells us to, to ensure the retrieval will be done during office hours.

Please don't take my question the wrong way. It's something that is on my mind for a while but I obviously can't ask IRL... Here goes:

Have you ever had any fear that, even with hashgacha, something got confused and the child is not really yours or your husbands?

I hope I'm not being insensitive. It occurred to me a while ago and here is the only place I can think of asking...

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:29 pm
Please don't take my question the wrong way. It's something that is on my mind for a while but I obviously can't ask IRL... Here goes:

Have you ever had any fear that, even with hashgacha, something got confused and the child is not really yours or your husbands?

I hope I'm not being insensitive. It occurred to me a while ago and here is the only place I can think of asking...

I have genetic testing done at multiple points along the way. One side benefit of that is that an error of that sort would be caught.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:38 pm

I did… although I do tend to overthink. But only up until birth. Once it’s clear my child looks like my husband, I’m fine.
ETA: it never occurred to me that it may not be mine. I’m completely certain it is.

Also, Hashgacha is mostly a formality at this point in the good centers. They are so so careful. (Not looking to derail this thread with random horror stories, thank you)

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:01 am
Amother gladiolus mentioned that she has genetic testing done. I can imagine that if I ever have to do IVF (hope I won't get to that point) I would only be calm with genetic testing. Looks like I'm more of an overthinker than you...

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:06 am
Which method is less painful, to freeze or not to freeze eggs for ivf? What type of ivf is least invasive ? Nervous, hope that’s not something we will need to look in to …

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:46 am
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
Which method is less painful, to freeze or not to freeze eggs for ivf? What type of ivf is least invasive ? Nervous, hope that’s not something we will need to look in to …

I’m not OP but I’m very experienced with IVF but your questions aren’t clear. IVF is all invasive. And if you have a spouse/partner you don’t freeze eggs, you freeze embryos. Perhaps clarify your question to get more targeted response?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:26 pm
Amother gladiolus mentioned that she has genetic testing done. I can imagine that if I ever have to do IVF (hope I won't get to that point) I would only be calm with genetic testing. Looks like I'm more of an overthinker than you...

Technically that only tells you in the lab if the combination is both yours and your husbands. But the question is really what happens after the lab. Do you get the correct embryo transferred? I don’t see how genetic testing changes any of that.

Although, again, with good centers you’re just fine. Especially if you have Hashgacha.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:28 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:

I don’t see how either one changes anything. IVF is IVF…

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Technically that only tells you in the lab if the combination is both yours and your husbands. But the question is really what happens after the lab. Do you get the correct embryo transferred? I don’t see how genetic testing changes any of that.

Although, again, with good centers you’re just fine. Especially if you have Hashgacha.

Very happy we had hashgacha for the extra peace of mind.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Oh. I didn't know the genetic testing was still before transfer.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:21 pm
Is there any form of ivf that’s least painful? Or ivf is ivf and there isn’t more or less painful approach?

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:34 pm
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
There are tons of exceptions. My very large employer is exempt and I paid oop
as far as I’m aware the only exception in NY for very large employers are if they self insure. Was that the case? Reason I’m saying so is because I had a friend who was told by her boss that they are exempt but when she challenged them and threatened to report them they were suddenly mysteriously not exempt. The company itself doesn’t pay for the treatment. It’s that they need to include IVF coverage in whatever healthy insurance they provide. Some companies will try their luck and not add it on to the plan hoping they employees don’t know their rights
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics