Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Will my kid be weird if I homeschool
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
White

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 7:22 pm
amother [ Tealblue ] wrote:
Homeschooling parents generally don't teach all the subjects themselves. There is usually a lot of self-learning using online resources and textbooks. Many kids will audit college classes in subjects of interest. Others will join homeschooling coops for certain subjects and experiences. It is often more child-led, but most parents will insist on certain curriculum basics.

In general how weird your kid will be is dependent on how weird your family is. Sorry for putting it this harshly. But the homeschooling kids I know from well-balanced families came out perfectly normal and well-adjusted, but with a wealth of experience and skill that the rest of us typically-schooled kids couldn't hope to match.

This.
I know a lot of frum homeschoolers in my town. Very few homeschool completely on their own. Many homeschooled children have private tutors one on one or get together in coop groups, whether in person or online. And many high school homeschoolers are already taking college classes.
I have also seen a certain style of homeschooling called “unschooling” in which there are little to none parent-led lessons. I believe the vast majority of homeschooled kids who later couldn’t keep up in college were probably unschooled. That, in my mind, is a cop out.
But if the parents value education, the children are motivated and eager to learn, homeschoolers will probably do better academically than their counterparts.
Social is a trickier component, but it can definitely be done if you live in a community with other frum homeschoolers.
When done successfully, I think homeschoolers will come out way ahead of their peers.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 7:23 pm
amother [ Apple ] wrote:
Yup, like I said, I think it could work with a very bright and motivated child. But when I think about how hard it is to even get my kids to do homework.... what shall I say, I am so grateful to my kids teachers.

(I don't see how this would not be a complete disaster for boys, tbh).

Children are intrinsically motivated if you let them be. That's the idea of unschool. So far I haven't heard of anyone who regretted being unschooled. There are probably a few, with how popular it became, but I have only heard of successes. Even reading--they ALL learn to read when they feel like it. Sometimes earlier, usually later than they would in school. It's an interesting and different perspective.

https://happinessishereblog.com/ This is the blog that I enjoy reading about unschooling. I don't think my husband would ever let me and I'm not sure how it would work with a frum education but, durned if it doesn't paint an attractive picture.

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 7:35 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Children are intrinsically motivated if you let them be. That's the idea of unschool. So far I haven't heard of anyone who regretted being unschooled. There are probably a few, with how popular it became, but I have only heard of successes. Even reading--they ALL learn to read when they feel like it. Sometimes earlier, usually later than they would in school. It's an interesting and different perspective.

https://happinessishereblog.com/ This is the blog that I enjoy reading about unschooling. I don't think my husband would ever let me and I'm not sure how it would work with a frum education but, durned if it doesn't paint an attractive picture.

like I said, there are tons of people who were unhappy they were homeschooled - the majority were definitely "unschooled" - from what I was reading.

I took some college classes online and I found it challenging to keep motivated. And I like school.

Kids might enjoy learning to read on their own, but is that the only subject they need to know? There are plenty of subjects that many would not be motivated to do on their own, and I would imagine those subjects did not fare as well. If you are ok with that, cool! But many are definitely at a disadvantage when they try to go on to college.

Also, you might want to get the adult children's perspective, rather than the parents. The homeschooled children might see things differently than their parents do.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 7:40 pm
amother [ Apple ] wrote:
like I said, there are tons of people who were unhappy they were homeschooled - the majority were definitely "unschooled" - from what I was reading.

I took some college classes online and I found it challenging to keep motivated. And I like school.

Kids might enjoy learning to read on their own, but is that the only subject they need to know? There are plenty of subjects that many would not be motivated to do on their own, and I would imagine those subjects did not fare as well. If you are ok with that, cool! But many are definitely at a disadvantage when they try to go on to college.

Also, you might want to get the adult children's perspective, rather than the parents. The homeschooled children might see things differently than their parents do.

Maybe. From accounts I've heard, they know how to decide to do a project and get it done. So when they find out what the requirements are for X thing that they want, such as getting into college, they do it so they can achieve their goal.

But all children are different. I was always in school and I lost motivation very gradually as I got older. College was a terrible struggle for me.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 7:45 pm
OP are you focusing on the future or now?
If you're focusing on now, what do you mean you only see your son 20 mins in the morning and 3 hours at night? Sounds like your son has a long day in school!? and I assume you also care for him over the weekend including Friday?
At this age they usually love going to school! Is this not the case with your son? They love the learning, friends, morahs, projects. If this is not the case with your son and it really is just a huge factory then yes you should definitely try to find an alternative!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics