Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chicken for dinner
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:37 pm
How many times a week do you serve chicken for dinner? If more than once do you get sick of it? If you only do 1x/week but have other fleishig dinners, what do you serve?

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:41 pm
If I serve fleishigs it's typically chicken. I serve it about three times a week. I change it up by switching off between bone in and cutlets. There are so many different ways to prepare chicken. I personally get bored of it and don't always eat it but my dh likes it. If the kids don't want it I am happy to make them something really simple or they can find something in the fridge they like.

busy mommy

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:42 pm
I do one night chicken on the bone, one night chicken cutlets, one night ground meat, and one night fish or dairy. If I served chicken on the bone Friday night then for leftovers I may shred it, or use it in a lomein or chicken salad so we don't end up eating chicken on the bone for two suppers.

mha3484

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:49 pm
Our schedule is Sunday night- burgers/something with leftover chicken/chicken nuggets from food boxes

Meatless Monday and almost always pareve. Either fish/tofu or something bean based.

Tuesday chicken

Wed more chicken or something with a ground meat

Thursday milchig

I find my kids appreciate dairy dinners less as they get older and cooking CY for six is at least the same price as chicken.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:55 pm
There are a million ways to serve chicken.

I almost never serve basic roast chicken on the bone.

I serve chicken in other forms at least 3x a week, almost never repetitive

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:58 pm
Sunday is Shabbos leftovers
Monday is fish
Tuesday is ground chicken or cutlets, alternating every other week
Wednesday is breakfast style supper (bread, salads, spreads)
Thursday is bone in chicken

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:14 pm
I serve chicken on the bone at least 2x a week
With different seasoning
Ground beef 1x a week
Barely serve fish during the week unless leftover from Shabbat
The other days are either parve, egg/breakfast or dairy
And of course Shabbat leftovers

On Shabbat I serve beef/lamb/veal better cuts- usually not ground unless I need a 2nd protein

Sunday- Shabbat leftovers
Monday- chicken on the bone with rice- casserole - different spices on the chicken
Tuesday- ground beef- burgers, sloppy Joe’s,meatloaf, salsburry steak, beefaroni
Wednesday- parve or dairy
Thursday- chicken on the bone -crunchy/shake-n-bake type
Friday afternoon- dairy or parve
Shabbat- roast, steaks, tongue, cornbeef, Flanken, lamb roast, veal roast- Better whole pieces

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:21 pm
We usually have bone-in chicken for Shabbos dinner and crock pot pulled chicken for Shabbos lunch.

On weekdays we use ground turkey for fleishig meals, usually either tacos or burgers.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:23 pm
Dark ground turkey meatballs
Asian style chicken (cubes of chicken breast)
Breaded dark chicken cutlets
Grilled chicken cutlets
Chicken kebabs

If I could, I'd eat chicken every night.

If you like variety you can make a menu similar to this:

Sun: leftovers
Mon: chicken
Tues: ground beef
Wed: fish
Thurs: easy dairy

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:45 pm
Chicken is our main fleish and it’s for Shabbos and leftovers as long as they last, usually Sunday supper and that’s it. The rest of the week it’s milchik unless for some reason there’s more left over, usually because we had company and I had to make more generous portions.

But even if we have enough leftovers to last all week I don’t get tired of it. What I get tired of is being fleishik all the time on Pesach and what seems like most of the month of Tishri. It’s not the chicken per se, it’s the state of being fleishik. One fleishik meal a day? And that just a simple meal, not a YT feast? No problem. Sorry, OP, this probably isn’t what you want to hear, but as my kids tell me all the time, I don’t know how to be gashmiyisdik.

Now if we had chicken for supper every night of the week every week I probably would grow tired of it soon enough, gashmiyus or no gashmiyus.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Chicken is our main fleish and it’s for Shabbos and leftovers as long as they last, usually Sunday supper and that’s it. The rest of the week it’s milchik unless for some reason there’s more left over, usually because we had company and I had to make more generous portions.

But even if we have enough leftovers to last all week I don’t get tired of it. What I get tired of is being fleishik all the time on Pesach and what seems like most of the month of Tishri. It’s not the chicken per se, it’s the state of being fleishik. One fleishik meal a day? And that just a simple meal, not a YT feast? No problem. Sorry, OP, this probably isn’t what you want to hear, but as my kids tell me all the time, I don’t know how to be gashmiyisdik.

Now if we had chicken for supper every night of the week every week I probably would grow tired of it soon enough, gashmiyus or no gashmiyus.

Can you clarify what chicken has to do with gashmiyus?

mum6

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:41 am
I serve very often chicken. Once a week , usually Mon bone in, Tue either schnitzel or chicken burgers, wed either Pargiot or meat. Oh and Sunday Shabbos leftovers or a chicken stir fry. Sometimes I would make breaded chicken drumsticks which is my personal fave! Thankfully noone complains

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 7:03 am
2 times a week at least , usually chicken on the bone and chicken cutlet. Sometimes 3, and then it’s another variation of chicken cutlets. (Plus Shabbos night seudah - that’s 4!)

essie14

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 7:20 am
busy mommy wrote:
I do one night chicken on the bone, one night chicken cutlets, one night ground meat, and one night fish or dairy. If I served chicken on the bone Friday night then for leftovers I may shred it, or use it in a lomein or chicken salad so we don't end up eating chicken on the bone for two suppers.

Same, I try to repurpose leftovers as much as possible, otherwise my kids are very reluctant to eat it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:00 am
Thanks everyone for the replies. I usually do pareve 1x/week, milchigs 2x, which leave fleishigs 2x. I’m not a huge meat fan so I do chicken one night and then the other fleishig night is either hotdogs, deli subs, meatballs sometimes (not my fave cuz ground meat) which doesn’t leave a lot of variety. I’m wondering if I’ll need to do chicken 2x/week sometimes but it just sounds like a lot even though I have like 20 different ways I make chicken. But maybe it’s normal to do that and I should try and see if it works for me. It is expensive too (especially since we done eat dark meat) but what can you do.

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:05 am
I serve some kind of chicken every night except wednesdsy which is usually fish balls and Sunday which is shabbos leftovers.

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:16 am
I do shabbos leftovers at least once a week. If we have chicken soup, I'll do leftovers with the soup one night and then I make an incredible creamy chicken noodle casserole with the rest of the soup and chicken. Then the rest of the week:

- A dairy noodle dinner
- A chicken dinner (usually fajitas, shwarma, or cornflake)
- Something from the freezer, pancakes, or leftovers from the week on Thursday night (chicken
nuggets, fish sticks, etc)
- meatball subs or sloppy joes (usually once every other week)
- breakfast for dinner (eggs with pancakes, cottage cheese pancakes, french toast)

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:31 am
We have chicken once, maybe twice a week. Everyone in my family is sick of chicken. So we try to do chicken one night only.

Success10

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:33 am
Can someone tell me how to repurpose chicken on the bone? Like in a pasta? Thanks!

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:05 am
I do bone chicken for Friday night and usually one other night of the week.

Other nights is salmon, burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, flounder, tuna patties, tilapia, stew, shwarma, pizza, schnitzel, chicken cutlets, pepper steak, lasagna, omelets.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen