Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ped urologist for bladder reflux VUR?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 8:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
I think it can go either way. Polyhydraminos has a few dif reasons as far as I know . I think diabetes is one. Oligohydraminos is almost always correlated to kidney dysfunction in the fetus.

Diabetes it's not bh. They weren't concerned at all because it was still within range but I was told as a matter of fact that's its the middle higher end.

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 8:33 pm
I guess will see what the next sono will bring. What I would love to know, if in reality it can still resolve before birth? Or are they just saying it because why not keep me hopeful

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 7:43 pm
I have another question, is a vcug the only way to diagnose vur? How soon after birth is it done? And how often? Also, infants when they have an mri they put them to sleep, why isn't it done when doing a vcug?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 8:02 pm
Depending on where they do the exam they have different ways of doing it. There is no reason to put a baby under anesthesia for a X-ray. It’s not recommended to use anesthesia on a infant under a year especially not under six months unless there is a life threatening situation which is is not. I had two done and both were around ten mins. Mount sinais procedure was horrible. They strapped the baby down on a board and I did not care for the ped radiologist at all. She was cold and unconcerned. They were much better at Hackensack and the radiologist was a frum woman in a sheitl. She was much calmer and nicer and gentler imo. The whole thing is between 10 and 15 minutes. They put the baby on the table. Inject a dye into the bladder and take X-rays of the bladder and ureters while the dye is there to see if the dye goes up to the kidneys. They might give gluclose water to you to drip into the Baby’s mouth to calm the baby if you’re nursing. If not they let you give a bottle to calm the baby down. The valves are leaky with VUR so the kidney and ureter will light up to a certain degree on the screen and they will grade how bad the VUR is. Then the baby voids and they take more pictures and you pick up the baby. We did one at 4 months and one at about 8 months. One upcoming at 18 months. Bring a few sets of clothing. I put my baby in a long sleeve shirt or undershirt and socks so he wasn’t too cold. They gave blankets. I brought wipes and a clean outfit and blanket for after. U can bring a toy too for a older baby. I think the second time I gave Tylenol before bc I was so nervous. He was fine after. Fell asleep on the way home.

amother Pear wrote:
I have another question, is a vcug the only way to diagnose vur? How soon after birth is it done? And how often? Also, infants when they have an mri they put them to sleep, why isn't it done when doing a vcug?

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 8:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Depending on where they do the exam they have different ways of doing it. There is no reason to put a baby under anesthesia for a X-ray. It’s not recommended to use anesthesia on a infant under a year especially not under six months unless there is a life threatening situation which is is not. I had two done and both were around ten mins. Mount sinais procedure was horrible. They strapped the baby down on a board and I did not care for the ped radiologist at all. She was cold and unconcerned. They were much better at Hackensack and the radiologist was a frum woman in a sheitl. She was much calmer and nicer and gentler imo. The whole thing is between 10 and 15 minutes. They put the baby on the table. Inject a dye into the bladder and take X-rays of the bladder and ureters while the dye is there to see if the dye goes up to the kidneys. They might give gluclose water to you to drip into the Baby’s mouth to calm the baby if you’re nursing. If not they let you give a bottle to calm the baby down. The valves are leaky with VUR so the kidney and ureter will light up to a certain degree on the screen and they will grade how bad the VUR is. Then the baby voids and they take more pictures and you pick up the baby. We did one at 4 months and one at about 8 months. One upcoming at 18 months. Bring a few sets of clothing. I put my baby in a long sleeve shirt or undershirt and socks so he wasn’t too cold. They gave blankets. I brought wipes and a clean outfit and blanket for after. U can bring a toy too for a older baby. I think the second time I gave Tylenol before bc I was so nervous. He was fine after. Fell asleep on the way home.

Thank you

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 8:51 pm
Op, your responses mean so much to me. Just know it. I feel like I'm carrying a big secret a sick baby. I putting on foot in front of the other to survive the day. I have a family to take care of and life has to go. I'm finding it so emotionally draining. I sometimes just want to burst out crying "why me". I sometimes want to just put life on hold.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 9:02 pm
I know how you feel. When my baby was diagnosed I cried and cried holding him after the exam. I went through HELL AND BACK to have him. I said to my husband why do I have to go through this too???? It took me over 2 years to get pregnant with him. I lost multiple pregnancies (in the second trimester too) before him too. He is a miracle baby and he was not supposed to exist or survive after fertility treatments, false positive prenatal tests and then this. He is the most wonderful creature to grace this earth. He is beautiful beyond words (everyone tells me he looks beautiful), he is happy and joyful and brings our family so much closer together. Watching him play with his siblings makes my heart swell every single day. This isn’t to say that your pain is not real, but this really is not a big deal medically. The surgery which is hard to know and understand is really minimally invasive and it can resolve on its own before it’s needed. He likely will not need it for years. Mine had grade 3 and boarder line 4/5. He hit every milestone early and is offf the charts in his growth. He is an amazing eater too! Eats a very healthy diet and can really put a dent in a ribeye steak lol. My point is we don’t know hashems plan and if this is part of it we can handle it especially together. If there’s a way to inbox me please do. We can connect and talk more.

amother Pear wrote:
Op, your responses mean so much to me. Just know it. I feel like I'm carrying a big secret a sick baby. I putting on foot in front of the other to survive the day. I have a family to take care of and life has to go. I'm finding it so emotionally draining. I sometimes just want to burst out crying "why me". I sometimes want to just put life on hold.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:46 am
amother OP wrote:
I know how you feel. When my baby was diagnosed I cried and cried holding him after the exam. I went through HELL AND BACK to have him. I said to my husband why do I have to go through this too???? It took me over 2 years to get pregnant with him. I lost multiple pregnancies (in the second trimester too) before him too. He is a miracle baby and he was not supposed to exist or survive after fertility treatments, false positive prenatal tests and then this. He is the most wonderful creature to grace this earth. He is beautiful beyond words (everyone tells me he looks beautiful), he is happy and joyful and brings our family so much closer together. Watching him play with his siblings makes my heart swell every single day. This isn’t to say that your pain is not real, but this really is not a big deal medically. The surgery which is hard to know and understand is really minimally invasive and it can resolve on its own before it’s needed. He likely will not need it for years. Mine had grade 3 and boarder line 4/5. He hit every milestone early and is offf the charts in his growth. He is an amazing eater too! Eats a very healthy diet and can really put a dent in a ribeye steak lol. My point is we don’t know hashems plan and if this is part of it we can handle it especially together. If there’s a way to inbox me please do. We can connect and talk more.

Is it OK for me to contact Yael for your sn? I don't want to put name on here and I'm sure you don't either the same way I don't. But of you allow I'll contact Yael to out one of us.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:40 am
Sure

amother Pear wrote:
Is it OK for me to contact Yael for your sn? I don't want to put name on here and I'm sure you don't either the same way I don't. But of you allow I'll contact Yael to out one of us.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:28 am
I'm having another sono later today which means if I'm lucky I'll get results before shabbos. I'm not functioning. I had a close wedding last night and it was the last place I wanted to be by.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:46 am
Hi there! My baby has this too! I never even heard of someone having it until he was diagnosed. Honestly, this is really manageable and just wanted to say its all going to be ok. A lot of boys resolve without surgery, girls have a shorter urethra so higher chance of uti. Our urologist said the best thing we can do for him right now besides daily prophylactic antibiotics is actually giving him a bris bc it reduces uti risk. We had one uti in the nicu before bris (he was preemie, not in nicu for this issue specifically) and none since bh.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:02 am
amother Steelblue wrote:
Hi there! My baby has this too! I never even heard of someone having it until he was diagnosed. Honestly, this is really manageable and just wanted to say its all going to be ok. A lot of boys resolve without surgery, girls have a shorter urethra so higher chance of uti. Our urologist said the best thing we can do for him right now besides daily prophylactic antibiotics is actually giving him a bris bc it reduces uti risk. We had one uti in the nicu before bris (he was preemie, not in nicu for this issue specifically) and none since bh.

Another question I have is, is this lifelong? Or is it something that resolves on its own or with surgery and gone and forgotten? I know it might take a few years, but what happens afterwards?

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:46 pm
Anybody here know numbers? I see the sono report and the results of the kidneys are with numbers. Anybody familiar?

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:11 pm
I'm so so sad. It doubled in 10 weeks. Crying
The thing I don't understand is that the fluid level last sono was slightly elevated over 20 and now it's 16.8. I was so hopeful when they told me the water level. (It's the only thing the sonographer is allowed to say)

bnm

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:08 pm
You can message me for more details about why we still monitor. When I was in the panicking mode I called the pediatrician and spoke to him about it. He reassured me that it's not a huge deal and helped calm me. I remember asking if the bris will possibly be on time and he said yes.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 8:56 am
bnm wrote:
You can message me for more details about why we still monitor. When I was in the panicking mode I called the pediatrician and spoke to him about it. He reassured me that it's not a huge deal and helped calm me. I remember asking if the bris will possibly be on time and he said yes.

That's very sweet of you. But I already outed myself to the op I don't know if I want to out myself to another poster.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 9:53 am
By the grace of hashem and some good people I'm having a video call appointment with Dr. Stock beginning of next week so hopefully I'll be calmer then.

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 10:06 am
My 2 month old had his VCUG yesterday. It actually wasnt traumatic or invasive. Worst part was waiting as they were behind so my baby wasnt happy having to wait around and I think the catheter bothered him. Not in NY. The pediatric urologist inserted a catheter. We went to imaging, got a standard X ray. Then they did the VCUG which was like an x ray but they sent a special liquid up the catheter and watched baby pee it out while taking images. For us my baby peed quickly so it didnt take so long. Worst part was waiting as baby just wanted to nap...

We saw this issue in utero. BH we had found it on US before birth so baby had an ultrasound at birth and then again at pediatric urologist which is why we did the VCUG.
I was told there are 3 possibilities: reflux (my doc said they would then do prophylactic antibiotics), obstruction or "it might clear up on its own" and watch and wait. BH VCUG showed no reflux and based on his images they dont think it is an obstruction. But every fever we need to test urine. And keep coming back for ultrasounds...

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 10:11 am
To answer questions- this is what my kids doc said:
1. Bris was on time. Baby was slightly jaundiced so they werent sure but it worked out BH!

2. Sometimes it resolves at birth. Sometimes it takes longer. The pediatric urologist said if no reflux or obstruction then most resolve by 3 years of age but we just need to monitor.

3. Biggest thing for us is if he gets a fever to get urine sample tested because more prone to UTIs so dont let a nurse tell us "its just a virus". We need to remind pediatrician etc we need urine sample. If there was reflux then we needed to do the antibiotics daily to prevent UTIs. If obstruction then surgery may have been needed.

Good luck. One kidney was bigger than the other and found on U/s in utero.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 10:15 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
My 2 month old had his VCUG yesterday. It actually wasnt traumatic or invasive. Worst part was waiting as they were behind so my baby wasnt happy having to wait around and I think the catheter bothered him. Not in NY. The pediatric urologist inserted a catheter. We went to imaging, got a standard X ray. Then they did the VCUG which was like an x ray but they sent a special liquid up the catheter and watched baby pee it out while taking images. For us my baby peed quickly so it didnt take so long. Worst part was waiting as baby just wanted to nap...

We saw this issue in utero. BH we had found it on US before birth so baby had an ultrasound at birth and then again at pediatric urologist which is why we did the VCUG.
I was told there are 3 possibilities: reflux (my doc said they would then do prophylactic antibiotics), obstruction or "it might clear up on its own" and watch and wait. BH VCUG showed no reflux and based on his images they dont think it is an obstruction. But every fever we need to test urine. And keep coming back for ultrasounds...

Thank you! How soon after birth did you see the urologist? Do you know what his numbers were at the sono before birth? Mine are pretty high I think . Another question, is why don't they do a vcug right away after birth? My understanding is that meds are given based on the results of the vcug. Isn't it important to know to right away? (My brain is racing fever at 3 days old because my nephew had that and it was a uti)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics