Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can you stop giving homework for the moms?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 7:02 pm
One of the many reasons I homeschool. If I'm going to teach my child myself, I might as well save the tuition money.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 7:15 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Send to a school with the same hashkafa. I send my child to school as a babysitting to me and that is how I view it. I don't care how much the girls learn, the boys is different because it is a mitzvah.

Surprised

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 7:21 pm
Have mint read through all the replies but I’ll tell you what I do as a teacher. Early elementary, limudei kodesh. They have nightly kria, and part of that is circling underlining prefixes words etc. as that’s what we do in class. Yes, they need an adult to sit and listen to them read, but it’s like a paragraph. Additionally, they have a few worksheets to submit by the end of the week that are easy (we review the instructions in class and it’s not new information). We also have a weekly quiz the kids need to study for at home, although we do plenty of practice with that work in school.
I’ve found that kids who have a hard time for using or doing work need their parent to sit down with them and do it with them. This has nothing to do with academics or amount of work.
I do agree that homework is for review and are not giving something new, which means student should be able to do it on their own with a little prompting.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 7:50 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Have mint read through all the replies but I’ll tell you what I do as a teacher. Early elementary, limudei kodesh. They have nightly kria, and part of that is circling underlining prefixes words etc. as that’s what we do in class. Yes, they need an adult to sit and listen to them read, but it’s like a paragraph. Additionally, they have a few worksheets to submit by the end of the week that are easy (we review the instructions in class and it’s not new information). We also have a weekly quiz the kids need to study for at home, although we do plenty of practice with that work in school.
I’ve found that kids who have a hard time for using or doing work need their parent to sit down with them and do it with them. This has nothing to do with academics or amount of work.
I do agree that homework is for review and are not giving something new, which means student should be able to do it on their own with a little prompting.

When you have 6 little Children (and even more!) and you are sickly pregnant.. That little bit of Kriah, little quiz, little worksheet just multiplied by a thousand.
News flash.. There is no study out there that says kids retain information better when they review it 15 minutes after they learn it.
Another news flash... My children in school (not in high school yet-but close) never do homework and they score 100+ on every test. So are you giving homework to every parent because some kids struggle more than others? You think the struggling kids will score better grades because of the homework. I'd love to debate on this.
Kids don't need homework. Period.

menucha18

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 7:55 pm
Also going crazy with the extra projects. I’m so annoyed. It’s totally falling on me. I don’t think my daughter is gaining anything.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:02 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
When you have 6 little Children (and even more!) and you are sickly pregnant.. That little bit of Kriah, little quiz, little worksheet just multiplied by a thousand.
News flash.. There is no study out there that says kids retain information better when they review it 15 minutes after they learn it.
Another news flash... My children in school (not in high school yet-but close) never do homework and they score 100+ on every test. So are you giving homework to every parent because some kids struggle more than others? You think the struggling kids will score better grades because of the homework. I'd love to debate on this.

I moved and had a baby in the past few weeks and my son stopped practicing Kria.
He regressed greatly.
He started practicing again and his flow sped up again.
Some things need practice more often than others.
Even if it’s draining on the parents.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:07 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
I moved and had a baby in the past few weeks and my son stopped practicing Kria.
He regressed greatly.

Isn’t he practicing daily in school? Why should the homework be the biggest part of his practice?
But anyway it’s not really the kriah I was complaining about even though I don’t understand why I must do it daily. If they do an hour kriah daily in school it should really be enough.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:08 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:

This.
Every teacher from every child thinks her subject is the only thing going on at night and that little bit won’t matter. It all adds up.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Isn’t he practicing daily in school? Why should the homework be the biggest part of his practice?
But anyway it’s not really the kriah I was complaining about even though I don’t understand why I must do it daily. If they do an hour kriah daily in school it should really be enough.

They are learning kria. They aren’t reciting passages.
Reading needs a lot of daily practice.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Dec 18 2021, 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:12 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
I say sign the paper saying I see my daughter has homework but It couldn't get done tonight. You can do that every day.
I do not stress for my kids to do their homework. If they do it yay for them! Otherwise I'll sign the paper just to say I know there was homework but it may have possibly not get done.
Sue me. Don't care.
I can't keep up. And I don't think it's important at all. So you won't convince me!

I’d do this in a second but my kids are all excited about their homework and feel so responsible and want to do it. This would hurt them and I’ll just feel horrible. Wish I can just change the system. Do homework in school for the last 15 minutes. It shouldn’t take more anyway. If it does then you know it’s too much.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:13 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Honestly.. I've spoke to hundreds/thousands of parents in my life about homework and have never once came across a parent that said kids need more homework. Maybe your in a diff country where it's common. But never have I once ever heard such a thing.. So I'm not buying this..

I am also a teacher x 10 years and have had numerous parents complaining the years I tried not to give homework

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:14 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
They are learning kria. They aren’t reciting passages.
Reading needs a lot of daily practice.

I have that age as well. They do spend a large amount of time on that in school. Let the practice happen there. That’s what I’m paying tuition for.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:16 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I am also a teacher x 10 years and have had numerous parents complaining the years I tried not to give homework

Can you share for which age kids?
Upper elementary can use more if they don’t need their mom’s help. I can’t imagine a mother complaining about lower elementary kids not having enough homework for her to supervise unless if that’s an only child and she’s terribly bored.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have that age as well. They do spend a large amount of time on that in school. Let the practice happen there. That’s what I’m paying tuition for.

It’s different, a teacher can teach and have students occasionally read aloud to her or practice with a peer but can’t practically listen to 25 students reading to her every day. Kriah or reading practice, even 5 minutes to an adult, is definitely adds to how much is absorbed.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:19 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
He regressed greatly.

I hear that your showing proof.. But this child also went through a dramatic change and can easily have affected his learning in school. By all means practice with him! Open a Hebrew book/English book and let them read.
But the teacher doesn't need to assign grueling homework to the whole class because your son went through something that is affecting his learning.

amother
Hyacinth

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Kriah really needs to be practiced one on one in grades k-3, at least 2-3 times a week for a few minutes. Teachers can’t possibly do this at school, so it needs to be assigned as homework.

Any other homework is shtiyot. I don’t do it. Especially not projects. Do the friggin projects in school!!!

amother
OP

notshanarishona wrote:
It’s different, a teacher can teach and have students occasionally read aloud to her or practice with a peer but can’t practically listen to 25 students reading to her every day. Kriah or reading practice, even 5 minutes to an adult, is definitely adds to how much is absorbed.

Ok, I hear you. I’m doing it daily anyway so thanks for making me feel that I’m accomplishing a lot.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you share for which age kids?
Upper elementary can use more if they don’t need their mom’s help. I can’t imagine a mother complaining about lower elementary kids not having enough homework for her to supervise unless if that’s an only child and she’s terribly bored.

I tried this for 2 years, once with 3rd grade and once for 5th grade and both times close to half my class complained.
Their are definitely parents who want homework and feel like they want to see what their kid is learning and to have something productive for them to do at home.
I would estimate it’s 1/3-1/2 parents depending on the age and year.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’d do this in a second but my kids are all excited about their homework and feel so responsible and want to do it. This would hurt them and I’ll just feel horrible. Wish I can just change the system. Do homework in school for the last 15 minutes. It shouldn’t take more anyway. If it does then you know it’s too much.

If they are excited why do you need to be involved. I make it very clear the my childrens teachers that homework is for them to do. I will remind them once an evening to do homework and if they cannot do it alone /or need me force them... It doesn't get done.
I'm happy with my decision. If my kids are happy to do it.. By all means sit and do your homework. I'm just gonna be around if you need a quick question.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:23 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

I'm speechless. I've just never heard it come out of any parents mouth before.. Maybe they live in a farm and their kids are bored stiff and cannot entertain them, so they opt in for more homework.
Kids can always take a book and read. Or have math workbooks for them around. Word searches. Did we become dummies?
I used to read the dictionary and encyclopedia when I was bored. Many kids can become very bright by not having to be strapped down with homework.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics