Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can you stop giving homework for the moms?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:24 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
When you have 6 little Children (and even more!) and you are sickly pregnant.. That little bit of Kriah, little quiz, little worksheet just multiplied by a thousand.
News flash.. There is no study out there that says kids retain information better when they review it 15 minutes after they learn it.
Another news flash... My children in school (not in high school yet-but close) never do homework and they score 100+ on every test. So are you giving homework to every parent because some kids struggle more than others? You think the struggling kids will score better grades because of the homework. I'd love to debate on this.
Kids don't need homework. Period.

Having more children is not a reason to not be a good parent to the ones you have.

I’m not debating the homework issue, whether children benefit from it or not, I’m just saying that your first complaint is pretty weak.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:25 pm
I hear you with kriah but I’ll give another example. Dd has a sheet daily to match the word cat to a pic of a cat and underline the vowel etc. then color it. Many such pics per sheet. Or similar. This takes her quite some time as she’s new to reading. Seriously? DO THAT IN SCHOOL! Why oh why do I need to do this daily with her? What is she gaining? This is on top of another few little stuff plus other kids homework. I don’t feel that doing this at home is helping them in any which way just making me work hard.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:26 pm
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
Kriah really needs to be practiced one on one in grades k-3, at least 2-3 times a week for a few minutes. Teachers can’t possibly do this at school, so it needs to be assigned as homework.

Any other homework is shtiyot. I don’t do it. Especially not projects. Do the friggin projects in school!!!

Honestly really Kriah isn't homework. It's nothing a mother needs to use her brain and focus for. Every kid should read. But it's not called homework.
Kid can read the paper when they want. In bed. In carpool. By the kitchen table.
Wonderful. But know they also can not read the Kriah and still read fine.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:26 pm
Homework is part of raising kids whether you like it or not.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:28 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
If they are excited why do you need to be involved. I make it very clear the my childrens teachers that homework is for them to do. I will remind them once an evening to do homework and if they cannot do it alone /or need me force them... It doesn't get done.
I'm happy with my decision. If my kids are happy to do it.. By all means sit and do your homework. I'm just gonna be around if you need a quick question.

Because they are young and part of the homework is reading it to me or for me to help them with whatever sheet.
I’m only talking about young elementary kids who can’t do it on their own. Their homework officially is meant to do it with the mom. Hence this thread title.
I’m never involved in older kids homework.

small bean

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:30 pm
Most teachers are not expecting you to be involved with homework, with the exception of reading. I dont mind schmoozing with my kids about homework or helping them if they want. It is really not a big deal in my house.

I do love projects and am so happy when they have them.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:30 pm
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
Having more children is not a reason to not be a good parent to the ones you have.

I’m not debating the homework issue, whether children benefit from it or not, I’m just saying that your first complaint is pretty weak.

No. It's not an excuse to not be a good parent. I'm fully agreeing.
Oh wait.. Who decides what's a good parent. Doing unnecessary Homework just made it to the top of the list here I see.
My point is.. Every teacher says I'm just giving the kids xyz for only 15 mnts. And turns out that's your whole night instead of playing a game with your kids /reading them books, your tied down doing unnecessary things. (that can sometimes cause fighting between you and your child)
Ps.. I don't have 6 kids nor am I pregnant often. I'm just speaking up for those that are.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:31 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
I'm speechless. I've just never heard it come out of any parents mouth before.. Maybe they live in a farm and their kids are bored stiff and cannot entertain them, so they opt in for more homework.
Kids can always take a book and read. Or have math workbooks for them around. Word searches. Did we become dummies?
I used to read the dictionary and encyclopedia when I was bored. Many kids can become very bright by not having to be strapped down with homework.

Kids on farms are never bored. There are always animals to take care of, gardens to take care of, creeks to jump in, snow to play in, always something to do on there.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:32 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Honestly.. I've spoke to hundreds/thousands of parents in my life about homework and have never once came across a parent that said kids need more homework. Maybe your in a diff country where it's common. But never have I once ever heard such a thing.. So I'm not buying this..

I totally believe this! Parents want teachers to "babysit" their children out of school too because they don't want to have to deal with them on their own.

I teach Prek (4/5yr) and have mothers beg me to send hw for their child because they don't know what to do with them when they get home or their children are too wild.
It's so rude and fustrating. I'm their teacher for in-school and already have to plan tons for that and shouldn't have to do extra work, that's not required, since these parents don't want to take care of their own children! Also, it is so not age-appropriate to be sending hw every night for a 4yr old.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:32 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
Homework is part of raising kids whether you like it or not.

I'm honestly so sorry you feel this way.
I fully disagree and don't do homework with my kids. And I'm very happy bh.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because they are young and part of the homework is reading it to me or for me to help them with whatever sheet.
I’m only talking about young elementary kids who can’t do it on their own. Their homework officially is meant to do it with the mom. Hence this thread title.
I’m never involved in older kids homework.

Reading can be done in bed no? Or while your clearing the dinner table.. I don't think it should be anything stressful.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:36 pm
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
Kids on farms are never bored. There are always animals to take care of, gardens to take care of, creeks to jump in, snow to play in, always something to do on there.

True
Maybe living with no neighbors and no farm animals.. In the wilderness.
My kids are all day out with friends and I'm very very strict with early bedtime.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:36 pm
small bean wrote:
Most teachers are not expecting you to be involved with homework, with the exception of reading. I dont mind schmoozing with my kids about homework or helping them if they want. It is really not a big deal in my house.

[b]I do love projects and am so happy when they have then[b].

Are you very young? I think I enjoyed projects back when my oldest started school. There’s just so much a mom can juggle at once and I don’t need the teacher's help with filling up my time. Many moms are actually very busy and tired and don’t appreciate extra curricular projects they didn’t ask for.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:37 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I totally believe this! Parents want teachers to "babysit" their children out of school too because they don't want to have to deal with them on their own.

I teach Prek (4/5yr) and have mothers beg me to send hw for their child because they don't know what to do with them when they get home or their children are too wild.
It's so rude and fustrating. I'm their teacher for in-school and already have to plan tons for that and shouldn't have to do extra work, that's not required, since these parents don't want to take care of their own children! Also, it is so not age-appropriate to be sending hw every night for a 4yr old.

Bingo. Thank you for this..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:40 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Reading can be done in bed no? Or while your clearing the dinner table.. I don't think it should be anything stressful.

I’m sitting and pointing at every word and making sure it’s correct. 😬
I do nothing else while I do homework with them. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I’m taking it too seriously!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:43 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
When you have 6 little Children (and even more!) and you are sickly pregnant.. That little bit of Kriah, little quiz, little worksheet just multiplied by a thousand.
News flash.. There is no study out there that says kids retain information better when they review it 15 minutes after they learn it.
Another news flash... My children in school (not in high school yet-but close) never do homework and they score 100+ on every test. So are you giving homework to every parent because some kids struggle more than others? You think the struggling kids will score better grades because of the homework. I'd love to debate on this.
Kids don't need homework. Period.

As I said, I give things kids should be able to do on their own. If a child has a hard time concentrating and focusing then I can see why their parent needs to be on top of it more. But that doesn’t mean the kid shouldn’t do it.
One of the basics of teaching is review. Kids don’t retain anything without consistent review. They just don’t. Kria is also extremely important both academically and for their self esteem. No one feels good if they stumble when called upon in class.
I don’t believe in a lot of HW. But kria and occasional concept review is very helpful to the child.
They should be able to do most on their own.

And yes, some kids, as you say, can fly through school without HW. But when will they learn to work? To work consistently? Not everything will be easy

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m sitting and pointing at every word and making sure it’s correct. 😬
I do nothing else while I do homework with them. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I’m taking it too seriously!

My rule.. If homework can't be done alone I just don't do it.
They should know how to read the word if their homework is reading. I'm not a policeman. If they read.. They read. Why would they read the words wrong. Than they didn't learn how to read. Their teacher would call u and let you know they need help reading.
Sometimes I hear my kids reading words and they don't sound right so I'll yell out can you read that again it didn't sound right. Otherwise 🤷‍♀️ I don't think I need to sit and point.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:46 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
I'm honestly so sorry you feel this way.
I fully disagree and don't do homework with my kids. And I'm very happy bh.

In my circles, everyone expects there to be homework (noone wants tons, but everyone knows and expects there to be homework). It's a way for the parents to be somewhat involved in their children's education, to get an idea of what they're learning, if they are keeping up etc. I guess it's different by you, or you just have super smart kids!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:46 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
My rule.. If homework can't be done alone I just don't do it.
They should know how to read the word if their homework is reading. I'm not a policeman. If they read.. They read. Why would they read the words wrong. Than they didn't learn how to read. Their teacher would call u and let you know they need help reading.
Sometimes I hear my kids reading words and they don't sound right so I'll yell out can you read that again it didn't sound right. Otherwise 🤷‍♀️ I don't think I need to sit and point.

My life does go on hold for “homework time” and maybe that’s why I’m so overwhelmed and frustrated. I’m going to consider taking it more easy and see how it goes. Starting tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted.

small bean

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you very young? I think I enjoyed projects back when my oldest started school. There’s just so much a mom can juggle at once and I don’t need the teacher's help with filling up my time. Many moms are actually very busy and tired and don’t appreciate extra curricular projects they didn’t ask for.

I am young with 8 kids. My life is hectic BH but I still love it. I think it is great for the kids and makes school life fun and interesting.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics