Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do you check receipts after shopping?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you check receipts for mistakes after shopping?
yes  
 61%  [ 75 ]
no  
 38%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 121

singleagain

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:15 pm
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:
Ringing up the wrong number of items would be the cashier's fault ... ?

Not something they are trying to do on purpose. It's not like it's commission based. And we can easily check the inventory. Do you know how close some of the numbers are? I've worked on the registers. It's a computer. My automatic reaction to making a mistake is to hit the "backspace" button. Do you know what that does in my register program? It makes me ring up a case of whatever I'm about to scan.

How many typos do you make a day? It happens. It's not on purpose. So don't yell and scream and very decent people. It's fine to say "whoops, I actually only got one of those" or "actually there's another five over here"

Sometimes, yeah, I'm scanning a thing and I think "hey that didn't go through" so I do it again and it rings up twice... Bc the computer is still a computer and it's slow.

Plus, I don't know all the dang PLUs and codes.... So I'm asking you "what kind of tomato is this?" Bc I gotta hit the button to look it up, start typing tomato and then my finger slips and I ring up the plum tomatoes instead of the stem tomatoes.

It's accidental.

You try ringing up groceries when there's a long line and the manger keeps sending more ppl your way and the customers are complaining that the store didn't have xyz which you can't control and they have to pick up their kids which isn't you're problem either. See how many mistakes you make.

All I'm saying is, cashier's are ppl. And ppl are human. And no one is perfect at their job. So don't be rude or yell or annoyed.

Be polite. Be a mensch. And if you find a mistake, don't accuse. There's a right way and wrong way to point it out

ETA: I was replying to the fact that things ring up at different prices, not the typos and such that I explained about. Again it's not on purpose it's not malicious it's just human.

2nd ETA: I realized that I had a typo in my original post I said don't tell cashier I meant don't yell at cashier... I did edit my post after that

imanotmommy

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:22 pm
I try to watch while they scan, because there's almost always going to be something that comes out regular price when I think it was on sale. Probably sometimes the store's mistake and sometimes mine.
One time I bought a watermelon and maybe 1 other item. So I didn't pay too much attention and then they tell me it's $60! I look at the screen and sure enough they had scanned the watermelon as some kind of pepper that costs $6/lb. It didn't take much convincing to get that corrected. The watermelon looked nothing like a pepper Smile. I still find that incident funny, though, because with such a heavy item, then incorrect total was quite a shock!

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:30 pm
singleagain wrote:
As a person who works in a grocery. Let me explain a few things.

One: it is NEVER the fault of the cashier, whatever you do.. don't yell at them. Don't blame them

Two: sometimes it is my fault. I accidentally put the wrong item on sale, or I forgot a flavor...I have since grouped things. But sometimes new flavors don't get out in the group right away.

Three: sometimes signs get left up by accident. Check the dang date! Make sure it's actually still on sale, and that it didn't end on Friday.

Four: prices change randomly. Could be that in between you taking it off the shelf and bringing it to the register, the price went up. I'm sorry. But that's life.

NY has a law though, that the stores must honor the prices posted. They can't label the product with one price, then charge another price at the register. That falls under misleading the consumer.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:39 pm
imanotmommy wrote:
I try to watch while they scan, because there's almost always going to be something that comes out regular price when I think it was on sale. Probably sometimes the store's mistake and sometimes mine.
One time I bought a watermelon and maybe 1 other item. So I didn't pay too much attention and then they tell me it's $60! I look at the screen and sure enough they had scanned the watermelon as some kind of pepper that costs $6/lb. It didn't take much convincing to get that corrected. The watermelon looked nothing like a pepper Smile. I still find that incident funny, though, because with such a heavy item, then incorrect total was quite a shock!

I bought 5 lbs of fish in my Pesach order, they entered it as 50 lbs. I almost didn't catch this one as the total of my Pesach order is always extremely high.

kenz

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:47 pm
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
I'm always busy with kids but every time I check a receipt I find a mistake in the stores favor.
$25 box of strawberries was memorable.

I was once charged over $100 - I don't remember exactly how much - for a chocolate bar. And it rang up twice. Had to go stand on customer service for about 30 minutes to get it straightened out. (It was an upstate Walmart on visiting day.)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:48 am
I always keep an eye on the scanner at the checkout. It's something I've been doing my whole life.

In Israel trying to check the receipt wouldn't help me, because I can't read 99% of the darn thing!

I remember the first year I was here, I did a big grocery shop. As I was crossing the parking lot, I hear a woman yell "Giveret, giveret!" Someone said to me "She's' talking to you." There was the cashier, running towards me. She says "Stop please, I owe you more money!" and she handed me a bunch of change.

I was in a hurry, was still unfamiliar with the currency, and hadn't checked the amount of change at all. She'd had to shut down her till to come after me, and that must have been a hassle for her.

She could have pocketed it and no one would have been the wiser. I was so impressed with her honesty! I love this country. Heart

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:01 am
I check while items are scanned and I also look over the receipt quickly. Oftentimes I've found that a sale was limited to only 3 items and the print was small, I only discovered when I saw when ringing up some of them didn't go on sale - in this case I'll return them as I was only buying extras for the sale price.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:11 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
NY has a law though, that the stores must honor the prices posted. They can't label the product with one price, then charge another price at the register. That falls under misleading the consumer.

I work in Jersey, and I'm unfamiliar with the law...

But what if it's the customers fault? I do remember recently someone came and said "I thought this pizza was on sale" I went and looked and no that pizza wasn't on sale, it was the brand next to it. I exchanged it for the customer, luckily they weren't brand particular. But everything was labeled correctly, the customer just read it wrong.

Also do you really expect a cashier to stop and look... Plus they don't know how the prices are made, and they don't have the credentials to look in the POS to see when the thing was changed and if the price is correct.

And what if, you took a thing off the shelf, I changed the price, gave the new sticker to my aisle guys and he put it out before you got to the cashier, so now you are arguing with the cashier, drag her away (holding up the line) and point to the shelf only to see that the computer is right. And why? For twenty cents? Do you really want to be that person?

Look, I understand that it can add up. I understand that some ppl have really tight budgets, I'm just asking you to look at what is like to actually work in a store. We aren't trying to mislead you on purpose. We do our best to take the sale signs down and put the new prices out right away, but if a mistake happens, all I'm asking is that you be nice about it. Don't freak out and make a scene.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:27 am
Switching price tags is straight up stealing. Mad

I think some problems arise when the item is priced at one thing, and the computer had the date put in incorrectly, or hasn't been updated in time. Then the scanner will be off from the tag price.

Once, many years ago when I was really starving, I found a huge pot roast priced at $5.99. Total. It should have been $59.99, but the store printed the tag, so they honored it. I did almost all of my shopping there from then on.

A few years after that, when I had my jewelry website, I had a brooch listed at $5.50. It should have been $55.00! The customer kindly emailed me and asked if the price was correct. I said "Oops! I entered it in wrong, but since I made the mistake, I will sell it to you for that price." The customer ended up doing all of her Xmas shopping with me because she liked my attitude.

When stores are chill about goofs like that, you can build up a lot of customer loyalty.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:29 am
singleagain wrote:
if a mistake happens, all I'm asking is that you be nice about it. Don't freak out and make a scene.

I'm really sorry that people are being jerks to you. It seems like the last few years, with Covid and everything, people are getting more and more high strung, and tend to go off at the slightest thing.

It's not fair to you. Working with the public can really stink. Hug

Reality

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:31 am
singleagain wrote:

But what if it's the customers fault? I do remember recently someone came and said "I thought this pizza was on sale" I went and looked and no that pizza wasn't on sale, it was the brand next to it. I exchanged it for the customer, luckily they weren't brand particular. But everything was labeled correctly, the customer just read it wrong.

Also do you really expect a cashier to stop and look... Plus they don't know how the prices are made, and they don't have the credentials to look in the POS to see when the thing was changed and if the price is correct.

And what if, you took a thing off the shelf, I changed the price, gave the new sticker to my aisle guys and he put it out before you got to the cashier, so now you are arguing with the cashier, drag her away (holding up the line) and point to the shelf only to see that the computer is right. And why? For twenty cents? Do you really want to be that person?

Look, I understand that it can add up. I understand that some ppl have really tight budgets, I'm just asking you to look at what is like to actually work in a store. We aren't trying to mislead you on purpose. We do our best to take the sale signs down and put the new prices out right away, but if a mistake happens, all I'm asking is that you be nice about it. Don't freak out and make a scene.

Agreed.

Being a cashier is a really hard job. You have to work fast, remember all the codes and are standing for hours on end. All for not the greatest pay.

So mistakes happen. It's my job to notice if I'm charged for 44 instead of 4.

The stores that don't change prices in the computer are another story. It's not honest to advertise sale prices and not properly update the prices in their computers.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:46 am
Reality wrote:
Agreed.

Being a cashier is a really hard job. You have to work fast, remember all the codes and are standing for hours on end. All for not the greatest pay.

So mistakes happen. It's my job to notice if I'm charged for 44 instead of 4.

The stores that don't change prices in the computer are another story. It's not honest to advertise sale prices and not properly update the prices in their computers.

So one of my responsibilities is changing the prices to the weekly sales. I know I recently read the computer wrong. Or there were two identical items, and I did accidentally put the sale on the code that we haven't sold in over a year. As soon as it was pointed out I changed that. And made a new sign. And I believe for the day that it happened before it was brought to my attention the managers were honoring the sale.

The other thing. Is just be careful on the size. We switch off from putting 11 oz cereal on sale or 15 oz ... Make sure you're grabbing the correct size/box etc Especially bc we might have had the 11oz on sale last week and this week it's the 15 oz.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:53 am
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
My local store's prices are rising so quickly these days that they don't bother switching the prices on the shelves. Banging head Super annoying especially when you're being careful about choosing what you think is the cheapest brand(as per the price written on the shelf)and it comes up way more at the register.
When I complained manager explained that they don't write down prices anymore!! Surprised

One store I shop at has a sign outside that prices are rising so fast they can’t update fast enough so they are not gauranrinf price on the shelf is what will ring up.
I still find you can know which brand will be cheaper.

I’ve found mistakes both ways - in my favor and not in my favor.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:54 am
The law is you have to honor the list price.

This does not mean if the customer misread the sign, or the brand, or if the sign is still up past the expiration date.

If there's a sticker on a product that shows a cheaper price than what came up - the sticker price needs to be honored.

It doesn't matter if the prices changed or the store mispriced the item. This is the store's problem.

DH has gotten some really good deals at Nordstrom Rack from mistakes on tickets. I've also gotten bedding half off once, due to the cashier thinking the sticker price was BEFORE the 50% off and it was actually post 50% off, so I received the item that was 1/4 the original price.

I have a friend who was in a store right when the received a new shipment of clothing (israeli stores, but european chain) and the tags were still in euros without euro signs. She paid came to the register with tons of super expensive stuff for really cheap and they had to honor it. They closed the store right then until they changed the tags.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 8:39 am
singleagain wrote:

Why on earth not? I don't have to pay more for an item when an error crops up. When this happens, the cashier usually asks someone to check the price on the shelf (another worker, manager, or the like). Often is the case, they're actually pleased to be made aware so they can adjust the price as necessary.

It works both ways, for me at least. I alert the cashier when the error is for their benefit too. I.e. this week I noticed that the self checkout scale wasn't calibrated properly, it was calculating with 1 lb less. The manager was pleased that I stopped the cashier and had her take a look.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 8:48 am
Why on earth not? I don't have to pay more for an item when an error crops up. When this happens, the cashier usually asks someone to check the price on the shelf (another worker, manager, or the like). Often is the case, they're actually pleased to be made aware so they can adjust the price as necessary.

It works both ways, for me at least. I alert the cashier when the error is for their benefit too. I.e. this week I noticed that the self checkout scale wasn't calibrated properly, it was calculating with 1 lb less. The manager was pleased that I stopped the cashier and had her take a look.

The cashier doesn't necessarily know the layout of the store or what was moved where. I just meant she should not have to run around and check it. Of course call someone. But then please be patient if it takes me a couple of minutes to come in from the back office and go back to the computer at customer service to look it up and to check the dates and the changes and see what went wrong.

All I'm advocating for is an understanding that we are human too. Mistakes happen. And please be patient if it takes us time. Don't yell and threaten and be rude. Don't blame us if your going to be late. We are doing out best. But especially if you come in during our rush time... Just be nice

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 8:51 am
singleagain wrote:
The cashier doesn't necessarily know the layout of the store or what was moved where. I just meant she should not have to run around and check it. Of course call someone. But then please be patient if it takes me a couple of minutes to come in from the back office and go back to the computer at customer service to look it up and to check the dates and the changes and see what went wrong.

All I'm advocating for is an understanding that we are human too. Mistakes happen. And please be patient if it takes us time. Don't yell and threaten and be rude. Don't blame us if your going to be late. We are doing out best. But especially if you come in during our rush time... Just be nice

I guess we shop in different places. It almost never took more than a 1-3 minutes to check. If it's a grocery item, the rest of my order is usually scanned while we wait for the worker to return with the details.

And it goes without saying, that patience is needed. If I'm in a rush, and the amount is negligible, I'll just tell the cashier to move on. But that should be my choice to make, and not the cashiers.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 8:55 am
I guess we shop in different places. It almost never took more than a 1-3 minutes to check. If it's a grocery item, the rest of my order is usually scanned while we wait for the worker to return with the details.

And it goes without saying, that patience is needed. If I'm in a rush, and the amount is negligible, I'll just tell the cashier to move on. But that should be my choice to make, and not the cashiers.

I work in a fairly large kosher grocery. Of course the cashier will call someone over for help. But sometimes we are short staffed and people don't always realize how time consuming something can be.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 8:59 am
singleagain wrote:
I work in a fairly large kosher grocery. Of course the cashier will call someone over for help. But sometimes we are short staffed and people don't always realize how time consuming something can be.

I understand how time consuming something like that can be, but I still don't think I need to pay more for xyz just because the store doesn't have the prices marked properly. This is on the store's shoulder, not the shopper.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:17 am
I understand how time consuming something like that can be, but I still don't think I need to pay more for xyz just because the store doesn't have the prices marked properly. This is on the store's shoulder, not the shopper.

Throughout this thread I have just been trying to explain how and why mistakes happen. I mean it's not like we have a designated price changing time and they can change it any point and that's just life and I don't consider that a mistake because we do try and get those stickers out as quickly as possible.

Every week I'm getting price increases from even the same companies We all unfortunately life is expensive and we all have to try and keep up to the best of our ability We have to budget for that I think.

I mean like I said we try our best to make sure that these things don't happen but maybe do without them I mean if 20 cents is really going to kill it I don't know we try not to raise our prices that much but I can't help it if we've been charging $5.99 for an item and all the sudden now it's costing us $6.25 to get that item you expect me to sell it to you for less than what I'm paying?

ETA: there are definitely times by the way that I tell them to take something off the shelf because it is not properly priced or to not put it out on the shelf until I properly price it especially when I know the prices are going up and stuff I'm just saying mistakes happen on all times in the customer is not always right
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics