Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Therapy costs
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mra01385

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 8:41 pm
Wow! How do people find the money to pay for these therapy sessions? In NY there are therapy clinics like Ohel and Petach Tikvah who take insurance.

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 8:29 am
200 a session but I know newer clients are paying more

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 8:38 am

But it’s definitely on the reasonable end in comparison to others in my city

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 8:51 am
$175 for my frum female therapist.
$120 for my secular couples (don't know if he's Jewish) therapist. He has a sliding scale so we pay that little.

Both are PhDs which is important to me

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 9:40 am
$250 for dh therapy , $400 for Psychologist. I desperately need therapy from all the drama dh pulled me through. I just don't know were to take the money from as is were borrowing money to cover dh therapy sessions. He recently stop going had a crazy melt down back to therapy he goes. Were back to square one, I just don't know how much longer I can hold up. I thought I'm strong, I guess not made out of steel.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 9:54 am
I am a social worker and most of my work is not therapy but I do maintain a small private practice in therapy. I am SO ANGRY at how much people charge. It makes my blood boil. Yes, we have a lot of training and a fair amount of expenses, but give me a break. $200 for a 45 minute session?

I see a therapist for myself. She is not located in the US but in an English speaking country and she charges 100 dollars a session in her local currency which translates to about $75 for me.

As for my private practice, I accept insurance :-) I don't participate with all insurances but the ones I accept pay me at least $100 per session and I'm totally fine with that.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 9:57 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
$250 for dh therapy , $400 for Psychologist. I desperately need therapy from all the drama dh pulled me through. I just don't know were to take the money from as is were borrowing money to cover dh therapy sessions. He recently stop going had a crazy melt down back to therapy he goes. Were back to square one, I just don't know how much longer I can hold up. I thought I'm strong, I guess not made out of steel.

Honestly, I think at this point the money would be better spent on you going to therapy vs your husband
You really deserve it and should do it for yourself

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
I am a social worker and most of my work is not therapy but I do maintain a small private practice in therapy. I am SO ANGRY at how much people charge. It makes my blood boil. Yes, we have a lot of training and a fair amount of expenses, but give me a break. $200 for a 45 minute session?

I see a therapist for myself. She is not located in the US but in an English speaking country and she charges 100 dollars a session in her local currency which translates to about $75 for me.

As for my private practice, I accept insurance :-) I don't participate with all insurances but the ones I accept pay me at least $100 per session and I'm totally fine with that.

May you be repaid in kind
❤️

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:13 am

I don't know why it's so expensive but my therapist is a good woman who does a lot of community work and I don't think she's charging a lot just to rip people off. Nor do I think it's helpful to be resentful towards her price. (and trust me I have a bunch of little children (4 tuitions) and one income. I'm not saying this because I have loads of extra money to throw around.)

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:19 am
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
Honestly, I think at this point the money would be better spent on you going to therapy vs your husband
You really deserve it and should do it for yourself

What would I gain if he stops going? A husband and father that can't function? He was ready to give up his life the last few weeks that he hasn't attended his therapy sessions!

Speaking as someone that people are extremely jealous at, they think I have everything going for me. People just love to talk about my life, They view me as living the dream life. I hope people take this message that what you see on the outside you have no clue what someone is really going through.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:50 am
What would I gain if he stops going? A husband and father that can't function? He was ready to give up his life the last few weeks that he hasn't attended his therapy sessions!

Speaking as someone that people are extremely jealous at, they think I have everything going for me. People just love to talk about my life, They view me as living the dream life. I hope people take this message that what you see on the outside you have no clue what someone is really going through.

I am living this message too.

I know you’re not living any sort of dream.
And I know that therapy would help you so much and I just wish you would have that for yourself.

That’s all

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:55 am
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
I am living this message too.

I know you’re not living any sort of dream.
And I know that therapy would help you so much and I just wish you would have that for yourself.

That’s all

I could really use it, It's just so very expensive. Not something I can afford right now.

Thanks for your support.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:56 am
I could really use it, It's just so very expensive. Not something I can afford right now.

Thanks for your support.

🙏

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 4:46 pm
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
I don't know why it's so expensive but my therapist is a good woman who does a lot of community work and I don't think she's charging a lot just to rip people off. Nor do I think it's helpful to be resentful towards her price. (and trust me I have a bunch of little children (4 tuitions) and one income. I'm not saying this because I have loads of extra money to throw around.)

Therapist here (PhD level).

This topic, and question, comes up a lot, and I have written about it in other responses to posts. But just a few points to keep in mind:

* In addition to the session time, the therapist has to write a clinical note after the session. Billing / writing invoices (for clients who need them for out of network benefits) take time. Following up with some clients between sessions take time. scheduling and confirming. supervision for challenging cases / sessions take both time and expense. Continued education / conferences / professional reading materials. Research and peer consultations. Making phone calls in behalf of clients to connect them with resources. And on and on.
* Therapists in private practice have no paid benefits: no sick days, vacation days, Yamim tovim or pension. I have to charge more so that I can afford to take a day off when I have a virus, or go away once or twice a year.
* I have several advanced degrees, and spent many years in clinical training. There were many days for several years that I was out of the house from early morning until late at night. My family barely saw me on some days. I was once all alone at my lab late at night on 4th of July churning up data statistics for my dissertation when everyone else I know was having a barbeque or watching fireworks. I was often taking four or five graduate level courses, while teaching four courses in two different colleges, and seeing clients as an intern. On many occasions I was so stressed out that I developed colds and/or stomach issues. I had no support of an extended family, and had several serious and real emergencies in my own immediate family during those years. It was very tempting to quit my schooling, and several times I almost did. Ultimately, I prevailed.
*Because clinical work is so intense and emotionally taxing, many therapists limit the amount of clients they see every week. I know I do that because it is important to me to be responsible and take good care of my clients, while not neglecting my own self-care.

Having said all of that, therapy in private practice IS very expensive! In the USA, we are fortunate to have options in many clinics via insurance. There are some decent therapists who take insurance in private practice too. If a person wishes to go the private practice route, then there is a price associated with that. I am much more concerned about the availability of psychiatrists through insurance. In private practice, a good psychiatrist may charge $600 - $800 for an initial consultation, and that is truly more than most people can afford. Through insurance, it is not so easy to get an appointment right away, especially now during covid, and especially in-person.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 3:42 pm

I appreciate this post so much - I am a masters level mental health clinician. I agree with quite a bit of this - the cost charged is shocking to me as well.

Regarding payment from insurance companies, the ones I have tried to become in-network with only pay 40-50 per session. Can I ask which insurance plans you find pay at least $100 per session? Thank you!

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 6:43 pm
Medicaid pays in NJ 99.18 for a family session Medicaid for adults pays even more but there can be a lot of audits which can take away the money from the clinicians If you do not dot every I and cross every t properly. The PPO networks often have a higher reimbursements then the HMOs

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 1:18 am
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
I appreciate this post so much - I am a masters level mental health clinician. I agree with quite a bit of this - the cost charged is shocking to me as well.

Regarding payment from insurance companies, the ones I have tried to become in-network with only pay 40-50 per session. Can I ask which insurance plans you find pay at least $100 per session? Thank you!

I'm not in NY. Blue Cross and Medicare.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 9:46 am
does betterhelp.com have frum competent therapists

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 12:07 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
does betterhelp.com have frum competent therapists

I know of at least one frum competent therapist on betterhelp.com. I am on a similar website but can only see clients in the state I am licensed in. (even via Zoom, they have to physically be in my state).

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 7:04 pm
I know of at least one frum competent therapist on betterhelp.com. I am on a similar website but can only see clients in the state I am licensed in. (even via Zoom, they have to physically be in my state).

Can you share the name of the therapist (if that’s allowed)? Do you know from personal experience that they are competent or you heard that from others?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics