Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Olives

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 5:27 am
which JAR olives do you find tastes best and is healthiest eg low sodium

(not that I think sodium is bad but I use unrefined celtic sea salt)

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 5:47 am
All olives have sodium, because soaking in brine is what makes them edible. I find that California black olives, like Lindseys are the best (but you won't find them in Israel.)

If you're in Israel, you can look in the open olive bins and find the huge pitted black olives. They are the closest thing to California olives that I've found. Israelis like their olives super salty and somewhat bitter.

Olives are full of healthy fats, and if you are having a sudden craving for salty snacks like potato chips, 4 or 5 olives will fix that. It's better than caving in and eating a huge bag of chips. Sometimes you have to choose the lesser of the two, and olives win every time.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 5:48 am
PS: If you take any olive and soak it in cold water for a few minutes, you'll remove a huge amount of salt and make them a lot more mild. This works best on pitted olives, because the water can get past the skin and into the meat where most of the salt is.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 5:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
All olives have sodium, because soaking in brine is what makes them edible. I find that California black olives, like Lindseys are the best (but you won't find them in Israel.)

If you're in Israel, you can look in the open olive bins and find the huge pitted black olives. They are the closest thing to California olives that I've found. Israelis like their olives super salty and somewhat bitter.

Olives are full of healthy fats, and if you are having a sudden craving for salty snacks like potato chips, 4 or 5 olives will fix that. It's better than caving in and eating a huge bag of chips. Sometimes you have to choose the lesser of the two, and olives win every time.

thanks so much

are they canned or in a jar?
which hechsher?
wonder if yo can buy in england

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 6:05 am
California olives come in a can.

I have no idea what's available in England. Maybe some of our UK amothers know.

If you put "in England" in the title, you'll get more responses. If you're not sure how to edit a title, just ask a mod for help.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 4:59 pm
Sodium is not necessarily unhealthy. In fact, I have an underactive thyroid partially because I grew up with a sister and father who had heart conditions and my mom was told not to have salt in our food. I get salt for myself with iodine added which is a necessarily mineral. it's not a good idea to avoid salt just because.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 4:52 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
PS: If you take any olive and soak it in cold water for a few minutes, you'll remove a huge amount of salt and make them a lot more mild. This works best on pitted olives, because the water can get past the skin and into the meat where most of the salt is.

could I empty the jar of brine and fill it with water and let it sit like that in the fridge?

watergirl

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 4:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
could I empty the jar of brine and fill it with water and let it sit like that in the fridge?

It does not matter what you soak it in, container wise. Just soak them in water.

jflower

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 4:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I wonder if soaking the olives of water for too long a period of time will completely remove the taste. Please let us know. Thanks.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 5:01 am
jflower wrote:
I wonder if soaking the olives of water for too long a period of time will completely remove the taste. Please let us know. Thanks.

It will greatly remove the taste. It's much better to just rinse them.

Unless your doctor specifically tells you to eat a low salt diet, a few olives are not going to harm anyone. I have extremely low blood pressure, and my doctor told me that I can have all the salt I want.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 5:02 am
ok.thanks for that

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 5:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You technically can, but the olives would be pretty much tasteless.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise