Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Signs of anorexia?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:38 pm
My DD is almost 18. Great kid, well balanced, sense of humor...oldest, talented, cute, and normal weight/size...

Here and there she would kvetch about being fat, but usually shrugs it off and enjoys her food normal.

Lately she complained about being constipated. She took a senna tea (which my hub uses occasionally), it didn't work that much. After 2-3 more days she tells me she cant eat, bc of this. I understood and let her be. Last few days she eating a lot less, and is very agitated. She tells me she need dr. Bc her body stopped working...

I tell her You are tense. Just relax, you'll eventually go...she says she can't. I told her maybe theres nothing to go bc You hardly ate? She says, No. She feels stuffed from a full week and she doesnt wanna get a big stomach.

My DH is worried that this may be early signs of anorexia. He said she asked him to buy a hoola hoop and is exercising. I know she always tried exercising normal.

I have two aunts that were/are anorexic, so he is so concerned it shouldnt affect DD.

In the meantime she looks so frustrated. Not sure what to do. (I gave her Colace one day, she took more teas, and she eats fruits, drinks tons of water...

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:41 pm
Does she have any other symptoms? Constipation & anxiety/agitation may be symptoms of anorexia.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:54 pm
She needs to empty her stomach before you can asses further. If she goes and is still not eating that’s another story. Has she tried an enema?

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:57 pm
have her meet a good therapist

discuss what conerns her. social stress, body image, goals...

tell therapist in advance your concerns

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:09 pm
I don't want to make it an issue, if it isn't.

She would never agree to see a therapist.

She said she wants to empty out, so she can eat, but all the drinking and teas don't work.

My husband is getting suspicious and worried. But maybe its a passing thing.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:10 pm
Start with a gi?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:16 pm
When was the last time she had a bowel movement and was it regular? Maybe she has a bowel obstruction- that would explain her not wanting to eat and the constipation.
If there is a family history though and you rule out a GI issue, she should speak to a therapist or psychologist.

Stars

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:20 pm
Why don’t you take her to a regular doctor as the first step? There might be something physical going on.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:21 pm
First thing: when did she actually have a bowel movement? She might actually be sick and that needs to be addressed asap.

If she actually asked to go to doc then by ALL means send her asap, tomorrow! Whether physical or not, she is ASKING for help so of course send her. She can discuss her concerns privately with doc and that will start the ball rolling whatever the case may be...

(If she is obstructed c”v that is a medical emergency!!)

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:45 pm
nothing to add. just hugs for both of you and hoping all will be well. my sister was anorexic. (she was popular pretty skinny snd smart too) twas hell. my mom didnt know how to handle it in the beginning. she was newly wed. would you know if shes getting her regular cycles? my sister stopped getting them. dont think its obstruction. cuz why would she need a hoola hoop and why does she eat only fruits and veggies? but think you should first get educated on this topic. I remember the book "dying to be thin" was an eye openner for my parents.
hopefully its just a passing thing.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:59 pm
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
nothing to add. just hugs for both of you and hoping all will be well. my sister was anorexic. (she was popular pretty skinny snd smart too) twas hell. my mom didnt know how to handle it in the beginning. she was newly wed. would you know if shes getting her regular cycles? my sister stopped getting them. dont think its obstruction. cuz why would she need a hoola hoop and why does she eat only fruits and veggies? but think you should first get educated on this topic. I remember the book "dying to be thin" was an eye openner for my parents.
hopefully its just a passing thing.

So she is not super thin. In fact, I am a little smaller than her. (She has my husband's genes, taller and broader) but she has a nice figure.

Sure, she has her monthly. She eats cake and cookies all the time. She enjoys good food too. Only recently she started with this constipation thing. She is not obstructed. She says she went but not enough in her mind what she thinks she needs to empty out. She tells me "I have a weeks worth of food in me" ..

I would go to a dr..not sure if it can't wait a bit though. And if it's a physical thing even...

lucky14

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 4:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So she is not super thin. In fact, I am a little smaller than her. (She has my husband's genes, taller and broader) but she has a nice figure.

Sure, she has her monthly. She eats cake and cookies all the time. She enjoys good food too. Only recently she started with this constipation thing. She is not obstructed. She says she went but not enough in her mind what she thinks she needs to empty out. She tells me "I have a weeks worth of food in me" ..

I would go to a dr..not sure if it can't wait a bit though. And if it's a physical thing even...

No, don't wait. She is asking to see a doctor so take her to one. She wants medical help with something so go get it for her. If anything it will at least show her you are taking her seriously and care about her (which it obviously sounds like you do).

Reality

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 4:41 am
Just reiterating, take her the doctor. It could be something physically is wrong. But if it is an early sign of anorexia, thank Hashem you caught it early. So much easier to treat than when it becomes so much more entrenched in their minds.

Hatzlacha and may your daughter have a refuah shelaimah!!

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 4:52 am
A doctor and please get an ultrasound of her stomach. This is very important.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 5:25 am
It does not sound like anorexia to me, anorexics tend to be secretive about all their symptoms like constipation, and your daughter is sharing everything.

Definitely take her to a regular doctor, since that is what she's asking for.

Eating a lot of fruit and vegetables can ironically CAUSE constipation and gassiness if you suddenly eat a lot more than you are used to. Fruit and vegetables are great, but you have to add them into your diet slowly. Most prople don't know this.

A hula hoop sounds healthy. A girl who is close to 18 shouldn't even have to ask for permission to buy something as parve as a hula hoop. Without knowing more details, I think you should give her more independence. If she's anorexic and secretive she can do jumping jacks in her room with the door closed and you won't know. Asking for a hula hoop means she's not being secretive about wanting to get exercise, and she shouldn't have to be, because exercise is healthy.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 5:37 am
My goodness it sure does sound like constipation. Keep it simple.
Would work to help her fix this which can be very uncomfortable and even painful.
Get over the counter gentle laxative etc. and call the dr.!

WhatFor

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 5:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

She may actually be constipated and need to see a doctor. That's the first route I would take. Although if you have reason to suspect an eating disorder, some people do abuse laxatives because they think it will help them keep weight off. I wouldn't necessarily jump to that first unless there were other signs.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 6:18 am
Op why are you quick to dismiss her complaint of constipation and reluctance to address it?
Is there anything else going on?

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't want to make it an issue, if it isn't.

She would never agree to see a therapist.

She said she wants to empty out, so she can eat, but all the drinking and teas don't work.

My husband is getting suspicious and worried. But maybe its a passing thing.

She needs a doctor ASAP. Let the doctor help figure out if it’s constipation. There’s no such thing as making an issue when there isn’t. If it is anorexia, you need to nip it in the bud because the longer it goes untreated the harder it is to recover.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:22 am
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
It does not sound like anorexia to me, anorexics tend to be secretive about all their symptoms like constipation, and your daughter is sharing everything.

Definitely take her to a regular doctor, since that is what she's asking for.

Eating a lot of fruit and vegetables can ironically CAUSE constipation and gassiness if you suddenly eat a lot more than you are used to. Fruit and vegetables are great, but you have to add them into your diet slowly. Most prople don't know this.

A hula hoop sounds healthy. A girl who is close to 18 shouldn't even have to ask for permission to buy something as parve as a hula hoop. Without knowing more details, I think you should give her more independence. If she's anorexic and secretive she can do jumping jacks in her room with the door closed and you won't know. Asking for a hula hoop means she's not being secretive about wanting to get exercise, and she shouldn't have to be, because exercise is healthy.

Anorexics often say things like “I feel so fat” or “if I eat this I will get fat” - they do talk about it very often. Binge eaters are more secretive.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics