Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Should I get the booster or not?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 5:02 pm
I'm very on the fence about this. I know nothing is a perfect choice. Just came back from an obgyn appointment and saw a doctor in the group that I don't particularly trust. The doctors that I trust haven't said anything to me. Just this one. I took the moderna vaccine before I got pregnant, currently pregnant with twins. it's now been 9 months since my last vaccine. Dr today said I should get moderna booster. Now here is some back story: I got covid back in March right when everything was shut down. I was pregnant then too and I lost in my second trimester and I was very sick. I took the vaccine a year later and I was really really sick and feverish after the first shot and my antibodies were through the roof, the lab flagged it as abnormally high. I wasn't sick after the second shot. I feel like I had covid, I have antibodies, I took two of the vaccines, shouldn't that be enough? Should I check my antibodies? Am I just being foolish? I'm in my last trimester expecting hi risk twins and can barely breathe. I'm probably the right type of candidate for the booster. I'm terrified, though, of running fever (which I did first time) but Dr said take Tylenol before. So so confused. Please no anti vaxxers. I don't want to hear the shot causes fetal demise I already went through that with covid. I want to hear from the more nuanced people that are not 100% pro or 100% against. There is a whole spectrum of feelings and it's not black and white. Thanks.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 5:04 pm
Just wanted to add that I see in addition to my own doctors I see MFMs at a very respected group and no one has said anything to me about boosters. They were just happy I took the initial vaccine.

amother
White

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 5:06 pm
I’m not a doctor, so I won’t give my opinion of whether you should get it or not (I don’t even have an opinion) but I can tell you my own experience: I got the booster last month. At the time, my antibodies were still very high (I had Covid in March 2020, and the first two shots in January and February 2021).

After the booster, the only side effect I had was a sore arm. This is in contrast to being sick in bed for 24+ hours after my second dose. I believe that the booster is a smaller dose, which I think accounts for the more mild side effects.

Esty 4

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 5:42 pm
Ask a Doctor or medical askan you trust. Don't rely on leyman (or woman...) for medical advice of this magnitude

challahchallah

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 5:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just wanted to add that I see in addition to my own doctors I see MFMs at a very respected group and no one has said anything to me about boosters. They were just happy I took the initial vaccine.

I would proactively ask the MFMs you trust for their opinion on whether to get the booster. Only your doctors are equipped to advise you on your specific medical situation.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 5:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm very on the fence about this. I know nothing is a perfect choice. Just came back from an obgyn appointment and saw a doctor in the group that I don't particularly trust. The doctors that I trust haven't said anything to me. Just this one. I took the moderna vaccine before I got pregnant, currently pregnant with twins. it's now been 9 months since my last vaccine. Dr today said I should get moderna booster. Now here is some back story: I got covid back in March right when everything was shut down. I was pregnant then too and I lost in my second trimester and I was very sick. I took the vaccine a year later and I was really really sick and feverish after the first shot and my antibodies were through the roof, the lab flagged it as abnormally high. I wasn't sick after the second shot. I feel like I had covid, I have antibodies, I took two of the vaccines, shouldn't that be enough? Should I check my antibodies? Am I just being foolish? I'm in my last trimester expecting hi risk twins and can barely breathe. I'm probably the right type of candidate for the booster. I'm terrified, though, of running fever (which I did first time) but Dr said take Tylenol before. So so confused. Please no anti vaxxers. I don't want to hear the shot causes fetal demise I already went through that with covid. I want to hear from the more nuanced people that are not 100% pro or 100% against. There is a whole spectrum of feelings and it's not black and white. Thanks.

B'shaa tova. I'm looking forward to the announcement of the birth of your healthy twins.

IMNSHO, don't take the advice of the doctor you don't trust. Next appointment, talk to a doctor you DO trust, present all of that information, and ask for advice. Maybe test for antibodies first.

FTR, my reaction to the booster was totally different from my reaction to the original vaccine. For those, both times, I felt mildly ill, sort of like the first few days before I got really sick with covid. I was able to work through it. For the booster, I was TIRED. Probably about as tired as you are every day, being pregnant with twins! But I otherwise felt fine.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:01 pm
You currently have antibodies? If so why would you need a booster?

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:04 pm
No one, not even the medical experts, REALLY know if it's better to take the shot or not. At first glance this might seem scary, but I would recommend you reframe the whole process. You don't need to find out the correct answer. You just need to do calm non panicked sensible hishtaldut. Don't listen to a doctor you don't trust. Do ask others who you do. Then you make your decision, and whatever happens you know that you have done the correct thing.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:37 pm
I would not get the booster

Optione

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:03 pm
First, ask the OB you trust and your MFM Dr.

My personal current experience is exactly the same as yours except that 1. This is my first time being pregnant since having covid in March 2020 and 2. I am only carrying 1, not twins.

I really didn't feel well after both Moderna vaccines. I just got the booster and bH only had a sore arm.

It was my OB who will iyH deliver me that told me to get the booster which is why I did it. Had it been a pcp or not my primary OB or MFM doctor, I don't know that I would have run to get it.

Sb1234

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:11 pm
Test for antibodies. I you have, don’t get the booster. And get a second opinion if this advice was from a doctor you don’t trust.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:26 pm
Let's just say what it is, it is not technically a booster. A booster is to complete a series that lasts. This is like your seasonal flu shot, except every six months.

It gets used up and you need it again.

Check your antibodies. See if you have them still or not. It doesn't check the calendar and every person is different.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:27 pm
Being that u had covid it's likely that u have immunity. You also got two vaccines.
You are aso pregnant with twins.
You do not want to take something that can cause an immune reaction.
Take vitamin d and k2 to boost your immune system
Bshaa tova!

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 3:57 am
You had covid a really long time ago. Also, omicron can infect people who had covid before. Plus pregnant women are at much higher risk from covid. I would probably get the booster if I were you but maybe talk to a dr you trust. Bshaa tova!!

rmbg

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:21 am
I would not put something in to my body that we don’t have enough data on during any pregnancy and for sure not a high risk pregnancy. If your other doctors didn’t bring it up I wouldn’t give it a second thought. If they thought it was impt they would have suggested it.

imasinger

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 7:06 am
There's one thing that successfully fighting Covid, getting the vaccine, and getting the booster all have in common. They all offer a boost to your body's immune system for some period of time, but not indefinitely. Given that it's been 9 months since vaccination, and longer since you had Covid, there is indeed some question as to how well your body is currently able to fight the virus if you got it.

The most important thing is, while it's worth consulting doctors you trust about this, you don't have to lose sleep over the decision. The odds would still be in your favor either way.

Bsha'ah tovah!

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 7:26 am
You need to ask your dr that you trust. Someone close to me had covid while pregnant with twins. She also got the first covid vaccine in her third trimester. Twins and her were both fine bH. I’m pregnant and had the second vaccine almost a year ago. I’m using mfm and they are very strongly encouraging the third booster. There are many pregnant employees in their office and they all had the third vaccine and are fine. I haven’t gotten it yet bec I want it done in the drs office but I need to make an appointment at a different location and haven’t done it yet. But really this is something that you need to discuss with your dr.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 7:36 am
It sounds like your intuition is telling you not to get it, but you feel guilty overriding it. I think you should listen to your gut. You have a high risk pregnancy and there is simply not enough data to justify “trying” the booster. Like other posters have recommended, boost your immune system with vitamin D and zinc and beezras HaShem u and the babies will stay strong and healthy:-)

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 8:35 pm
OP, I cannot answer for what you should do, but as someone who personally wants to be pregnant next year, the main reason why I recently went for a booster shot now is because I don't want to be stuck making a decision like yours next year.

For other mothers out there who may be pregnant in the coming months/year, it might be worth it to get boosted before getting pregnant.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 10:06 pm
You need to ask MFM team. As you know more than 99% of people on this board, pregnancy + covid is very risky. That said, having had covid and two boosters you could still be just as protected as someone with three shots. Might make more sense to wait until they update booster for omicron anyway. BUT you need to ask your MFM.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics