Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Psa for moms with teenage daughters
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

If you went to BY was it easy for you to change pad/ take care of your menstrual cycle?
Yes  
 57%  [ 119 ]
No  
 42%  [ 87 ]
Total Votes : 206

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 7:45 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
Most children can use the bathroom and empty their bladder when convenient, even if they don't feel an urge to at that time. The same way we always had to use the bathroom before long car journeys.

But sometimes the bladder fills up between the break and class time. And it's not healthy to regularly go to the bathroom when not feeling an urge.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 8:20 pm
Op my school experience was exactly like yours. It’s horrific. By the time I got home from school I could smell my own odor. So gross. My oldest is 9 and iyh I’ll help her avoid this.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 9:14 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Our schools aren't alone, and we can do better.

The case for free tampons and pads in schools

At age 9, Mahoro Amani got their period for the first time. At home, their mother talked openly about everything they needed to know. But, their mom told them, never mention this at school.

This article is beyond. My issues: 1. How many people is Mahoro Amani? Why is she referred to as "they"?!
2. I honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about. Yes, our schools should absolutely provide garbage cans- it's basic mentchlichkeit. For a secretary or school nurse to stock personal products is nice too, but I see it more as an extra than "a medical right" that must be passed into law. Why is it any institution's obligation to take care to provide your every need, instead of you carrying it in your purse/knapsack yourself? Will they soon be required to stock lipstick, Tylenol, facial tissues, (in frum places) bedika cloths, baby diapers where applicable? Why can't people take care of themselves?
3. What on earth is "period equity"?!
This whole article is so so PC, it just makes me feel like Rolling Eyes .

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 9:40 pm
Many schools already provide Tylenol.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 9:45 pm
In general, schools and similar institutions are somewhat responsible for positive rights because students are forced to be there. (An extreme example of this rule applies to prisoners. In general, you aren't obligated to provide people food. However, if you imprison people, you become responsible for their needs including their needs to food.) The public restrooms in rest stops and train stations aren't responsible for anyone's positive rights.

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 10:07 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
This article is beyond. My issues: 1. How many people is Mahoro Amani? Why is she referred to as "they"?!
2. I honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about. Yes, our schools should absolutely provide garbage cans- it's basic mentchlichkeit. For a secretary or school nurse to stock personal products is nice too, but I see it more as an extra than "a medical right" that must be passed into law. Why is it any institution's obligation to take care to provide your every need, instead of you carrying it in your purse/knapsack yourself? Will they soon be required to stock lipstick, Tylenol, facial tissues, (in frum places) bedika cloths, baby diapers where applicable? Why can't people take care of themselves?

Snowdrop, you'll be pleased to know that in my husband's university, there are free menstrual products available in all restrooms, including the female, male, private, and non-binary restrooms.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 10:42 pm
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
In general, schools and similar institutions are somewhat responsible for positive rights because students are forced to be there. (An extreme example of this rule applies to prisoners. In general, you aren't obligated to provide people food. However, if you imprison people, you become responsible for their needs including their needs to food.) The public restrooms in rest stops and train stations aren't responsible for anyone's positive rights.

Uhhh, not really. You get to go home each day until the next day and can bring your own lunch, snacks, sweaters, and pads or tampons.

For an emergency situation, I'm sure the office or nurse would have, but on a regular basis there's no reason why you can't bring your own from home just like you bring your own lunch and snack.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 10:44 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Uhhh, not really. You get to go home each day until the next day and can bring your own lunch, snacks, sweaters, and pads or tampons.

For an emergency situation, I'm sure the office or nurse would have, but on a regular basis there's no reason why you can't bring your own from home just like you bring your own lunch and snack.

Thank you. Exactly my point, more succintly put.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 10:47 pm
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
Snowdrop, you'll be pleased to know that in my husband's university, there are free menstrual products available in all restrooms, including the female, male, private, and non-binary restrooms.

This world has truly gone insane. Can't Believe It (I actually wanted to put the vomiting emoticon, but I couldn't find it.)

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 10:59 pm
This sounds really bizarre, OP
However, somehow
I find it comforting in comparison to the Brooklyn PS I went to

There were always used condoms in the bathroom floor and BC paraphernalia under the stairwells
Both are unhealthy extremes I suppose

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 11:01 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:

Nobody said they should supply it to the extent that nobody brings from home. They should provide for emergencies and for those who experience poverty to the level where they can't afford to purchase their own. (The need for period products is greater when the student must go to school. If she was home, she'd still need them but wouldn't be publicly humiliated by not having it.)

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 11:03 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm not understanding why a "very, very right wing school" is relevant here. Human biology is the same across all hashkafot.
Surprised

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 11:34 pm
Didn’t read all the posts
This is what I do
Have done this since I was 10
I always have 4-5 pads with me
I wrap them in aluminum foil each one individually
They all go in a cosmetic bag
If any one looked inside they thought it was lunch (at least I think so)
The aluminum foil cane in handy to wrap and dispose the used pad

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 2:58 am
I am shocked that a bathroom wouldn't have trash cans!!!!!

My high school did not have free pads/tampons but of course it had trash cans, I would think everywhere would.

When I went to the Ohio State University in 2006 they stocked their ladies rooms with free pads (I don't remember if tampons too or not since I didn't use them), and I was thrilled. That was the first time I'd seen free pads in ladies rooms.

essie14

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 6:28 am
I went to a BY. There were garbage cans in every stall. We all carried pads and tampons in our bags. If someone was stuck without, she asked a friend. The secretary and the school nurse also had. Not a big deal. Our friends always knew when we had our periods, we didn't hide it. We all shared Midol and advil as well.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 8:10 am
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:

Why are tampons/pads not considered just as necessary for hygiene as toilet paper, hand soap, running water, and paper towels/dryers?

And the fuss is because this thing no one can talk about---even in all girls schools---due to "impropriety" negatively impacts our daughters educationally and emotionally, if not physically due to the side effects poor menstrual hygiene can result in.

The lack of compassion is saddening and totally unlike anything I've been taught is a Jewish trait.

As far as pronouns, etc.---what does it matter to the issue at hand? If Mahoro Amani went by "she", you'd feel more sympathetic? Really? You would tie feeling sympathetic about being stuck without a pad or tampon as a high schooler to what pronoun someone wants to use?

I get that lexicon can be "funny", but read the actual issues here, and see how they totally apply to our daughters in some of our schools---and our schools are by and large only girls/women! It should be easier to address menstruation in our schools!

amother
Buttercup

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 9:51 am
Ugh I still recall it all, was horrible. Being unable to change pads because I had no where to put the soaked one. Coming home and promptly showering cos the smelllllll.

I used to think women on their periods always smell and it's too bad, others will always notice. Until I left school, & am able to use the bathroom and change sanitary products whenever needed.

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 10:08 am
I went to a BY for elementary school. I got my period in 5th grade. I seem to recall putting a pad up my sleeve to carry it to the bathroom and wrapping the dirty one in the wrapper of the new one and discreetly dropping it in the big garbage can near the sinks. No big deal. My school gave a talk about puberty to us in 6th grade, which was too late for me but timely for most girls.

I always kept pads in my backpack and my daughters do the same. We don't make a big deal about periods and secrecy so they're very matter of fact about just grabbing a pad and doing what they need to do. I think it's the cultural aspect of secrecy that makes things so awkward for girls in right wing schools. All girls will iy"H eventually get their periods so why the culture of secrecy and shame?! It's just a normal part of life and is much easier to deal with if everyone acts like it's no big deal.

life is fun

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 6:27 pm
amother [ Maize ] wrote:

Same where I study.
There are pads and tampons in the bathrooms for students who need or can't afford , the same as there's breakfast available for the same reason.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 12:10 am
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but I double padded before I left (my friends and I never knew who had their periods...). Meaning I had one pad fully opened on my underwear, and then another one with wings opened on top, but the bottom sticky part cover with tissues or the wrappers so it wouldn't rip the pad beneath it. I thought it was brilliant lol LOL
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics