Home

Painting Cabinets-worth it?
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:13 am
Any idea how much it costs to paint a large kitchen with a lot of cabinets?
And if you've done it, are you happy you did? I've heard mixed reviews...
My kitchen is nice but it's a natural wood color and would love a bright white kitchen - or whatever is in now....
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:18 am
It is quite expensive to have a kitchen painted properly as it isn't the same as having walls painted. It could be $8000 or more depending on how many cabinets need to be done. All of the doors have to be taken offsite and prepped and primed so that the paint adheres properly. It also should be done in a facility that is "clean" with not a lot of dust and other stuff floating in the air.

Also a painted finish is not as durable as a stained wood finish.

FWIW, the trend is towards wood kitchens so it might be better to upgrade the kitchen and keep the wood. Perhaps the counters or the backsplash? Good lighting with the appropriate bulbs makes a huge difference in terms of feeling the kitchen is "bright".
Back to top

kollel_wife




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:27 am
We did this ourselves. I have a very old kitchen and a tight budget. We took off all the doors/drawers and painted them, and then changed the hinges and handles. We painted inside the cabinets as well, which was quite back breaking.

I would not recommend it for a nicer/newer kitchen. In my case, we changed old brown cabinets and made them white. (And changed the counter & backsplash.) It looks much better than before. For me it was worth it. But I have to be very careful cleaning them or I can scratch off the paint. This might not be true if you do it professionally. If you're trying to make them lighter, you could remove the existing finish and then stain them, which would hold the color better than painting.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:32 am
Amarante wrote:
It is quite expensive to have a kitchen painted properly as it isn't the same as having walls painted. It could be $8000 or more depending on how many cabinets need to be done. All of the doors have to be taken offsite and prepped and primed so that the paint adheres properly. It also should be done in a facility that is "clean" with not a lot of dust and other stuff floating in the air.

Also a painted finish is not as durable as a stained wood finish.

FWIW, the trend is towards wood kitchens so it might be better to upgrade the kitchen and keep the wood. Perhaps the counters or the backsplash? Good lighting with the appropriate bulbs makes a huge difference in terms of feeling the kitchen is "bright".


The trend is towards wood kitchens? Lol what do I know? I thought white uppers and darker lower cabinets...
Yes, my main goal is to try to brighten it. It's large, new (but not fancy) and has windows but the sun comes in from the other side of the house in the mornings. I have a lot of spotlights but it's still not doing the trick. Should I add the pendant lights over the island and table? Not sure if that's still trendy...
People talk about under counter lighting too but I don't know much about what would work...
Any good resources I could check out?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:33 am
kollel_wife wrote:
We did this ourselves. I have a very old kitchen and a tight budget. We took off all the doors/drawers and painted them, and then changed the hinges and handles. We painted inside the cabinets as well, which was quite back breaking.

I would not recommend it for a nicer/newer kitchen. In my case, we changed old brown cabinets and made them white. (And changed the counter & backsplash.) It looks much better than before. For me it was worth it. But I have to be very careful cleaning them or I can scratch off the paint. This might not be true if you do it professionally. If you're trying to make them lighter, you could remove the existing finish and then stain them, which would hold the color better than painting.


I painted one room myself and said never again lol! Seems so easy but....
Back to top

amother




Daisy
 

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:38 am
My relative did it. It was about $7k for a large kitchen (a few revisions were done inside a few cabinets as well) and very happy.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The trend is towards wood kitchens? Lol what do I know? I thought white uppers and darker lower cabinets...
Yes, my main goal is to try to brighten it. It's large, new (but not fancy) and has windows but the sun comes in from the other side of the house in the mornings. I have a lot of spotlights but it's still not doing the trick. Should I add the pendant lights over the island and table? Not sure if that's still trendy...
People talk about under counter lighting too but I don't know much about what would work...
Any good resources I could check out?


Under cabinet lighting is good for task lighting as it makes where you are working very well lit - like having a good reading light or desk lamp. It is an easy fix.

I know I sound like a broken record but the forums on houzz.com are extremely helpful in terms of what you can do. The people are very knowledgable and helpful and I know there are posts in terms of your issues with specific advice on changing bulbs or adding more "light". There are other elements that can also "brighten" and update your current kitchen.

Also - surprisingly to most people - changing the doors is often not more expensive than a quality paint job and has the bonus of updating the style of the kitchen especially if one has old fashioned looking doors like the ones with the "arched" cathedral style which were ubiquitous a decade or so ago.

People are still installing white kitchens but wood kitchens are trending again especially in the higher end markets which then trickle down just like high fashion trickles down.

Unless you have the job done by a very experienced professional you will wind up in a worse position because the finish won't last.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 6:42 pm
Amarante wrote:
Under cabinet lighting is good for task lighting as it makes where you are working very well lit - like having a good reading light or desk lamp. It is an easy fix.

I know I sound like a broken record but the forums on houzz.com are extremely helpful in terms of what you can do. The people are very knowledgable and helpful and I know there are posts in terms of your issues with specific advice on changing bulbs or adding more "light". There are other elements that can also "brighten" and update your current kitchen.

Also - surprisingly to most people - changing the doors is often not more expensive than a quality paint job and has the bonus of updating the style of the kitchen especially if one has old fashioned looking doors like the ones with the "arched" cathedral style which were ubiquitous a decade or so ago.

People are still installing white kitchens but wood kitchens are trending again especially in the higher end markets which then trickle down just like high fashion trickles down.

Unless you have the job done by a very experienced professional you will wind up in a worse position because the finish won't last.


Thank you I will check it out! Thanks for the info:-)
Back to top

amother




Daisy
 

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 7:16 pm
New light counters and backsplash and LED lighting can make a world of a difference.
Back to top

Rubber Ducky




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 8:09 pm
Painting your cabinets — meaning having it done professionally — can be a very expensive undertaking, several thousand dollars. I wouldn't recommend it unless your cabinets are custom cabinets to begin with.

And as others have noted, light wood tones are coming back into style.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 8:43 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Painting your cabinets — meaning having it done professionally — can be a very expensive undertaking, several thousand dollars. I wouldn't recommend it unless your cabinets are custom cabinets to begin with.

And as others have noted, light wood tones are coming back into style.

Thank You!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 8:43 pm
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
New light counters and backsplash and LED lighting can make a world of a difference.

Thank you!
Back to top

simba




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 8:47 pm
My sil took an old shabby kitchen and with painting the cabinets to a gorgeous green and changing out to gold hardware made it look so chic and updated. I don’t think it was expensive.
Definitely go for it.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 8:54 pm
simba wrote:
My sil took an old shabby kitchen and with painting the cabinets to a gorgeous green and changing out to gold hardware made it look so chic and updated. I don’t think it was expensive.
Definitely go for it.


So I thought it was just a few hundred dollars, and then I heard from a few people that it would be a few thousands dollars, which I don't really want to spend on that...Don't know why I thought it was cheap.
Back to top

simba




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 8:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I thought it was just a few hundred dollars, and then I heard from a few people that it would be a few thousands dollars, which I don't really want to spend on that...Don't know why I thought it was cheap.


Hmm. Still a lot cheaper then replacing the cabinets. Can you actually quote it out with
Back to top

amother




Aster
 

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 10:36 pm
Redoing the cabinets yourself is absolutely doable for under 1,000. Unless your kitchen is so large that it's more than that. You could also opt for refacing, getting new doors and hardware installed using the body of the cabinets you have already, but that will be more expensive.

If you choose do to it yourself, you'll feel really proud once it's done - I did Wink
Back to top

amother




DarkPurple
 

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 11:20 pm
I had my cabinets painted by professionals and they looked great. They cost $1k, and it was a decent sized kitchen. They also held up pretty well for a few years. They just need to use oil based paint. Also, this was like 5 years ago, so the cost may have gone up since then.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 11:54 pm
Op, where do you live? I had someone do mine for $1k and I was very happy. It was a Toms River house - switched it from natural to gray. I can post his contact if you live in the area.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 8:26 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Op, where do you live? I had someone do mine for $1k and I was very happy. It was a Toms River house - switched it from natural to gray. I can post his contact if you live in the area.

Yes, thank you that would be great. I live in Jackson area Smile
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 11:30 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Op, where do you live? I had someone do mine for $1k and I was very happy. It was a Toms River house - switched it from natural to gray. I can post his contact if you live in the area.


Bumping up to hopefully get the contact info for this painter.
Thank you!!
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping

Related Topics Replies Last Post
How much are these cars worth?
by amother
10 Thu, May 19 2022, 9:49 pm View last post
Outdoor gas grill. Worth it?
by Mamuka
29 Tue, May 17 2022, 1:23 am View last post
Keeping deep cabinets organized?
by amother
4 Mon, May 16 2022, 11:05 pm View last post
Cost of interior designer and was it worth it?
by amother
0 Wed, May 11 2022, 8:50 pm View last post
Gloss or matt kitchen cabinets?
by amother
10 Mon, May 09 2022, 10:44 am View last post