Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can I expect a pay raise? UPDATE
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:46 am
My last pay raise was a few years ago.
I didn't ask for a raise since then because I wasn't sure that I 'earned' it, I also didn't want any new responsibilities, and also covid.

Now I'm wondering if I can ask for a raise because 3 years have passed, even though my responsibilities have stayed the same.

Does this sound reasonable?
Is it unusual that my employer hasn't offered me a raise all this time?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:50 am
in all honesty it is SUPPOSED to be a given that employees are given raises. But some places of work just dont think about it and some dont give raises. And others do give them and have to be reminded. It just depends on each individual place really.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:50 am
Yes and no. The real answer is no. However due to covid and other factors the job market had changed and the going rate for various jobs have gone up so if you are paid under market value you can ask for a raise based on that. Passage of time is a not a reason for a raise. The fact that they would need to pay more to hire a replacement for you puts you in a favorable position to ask for one

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:55 am
There is a cost of living raise - many employers will give a 3-5% raise yearly simply bec that is normal cost of living increases - unless a worker is ver poor performer.

Also there is nothing wrong with saying I’ve done xyz to help your company over the past 3 years and would like a larger raise. There must be something in your work you can highlight.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 8:20 am
Yes! Cost of living has gone up so much. Look up the rate of inflation and the markup in basic necessities over the last few years. That’s all you need to tell your boss. What you’re earning now is worth a lot less than it was 3 years ago. You deserve to bring the same value home if you have the same responsibilities.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 8:23 am
Yes. Passage of time makes you more efficient at your job doesn’t it?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 8:23 am
amother [ DarkPurple ] wrote:
Yes! Cost of living has gone up so much. Look up the rate of inflation and the markup in basic necessities over the last few years. That’s all you need to tell your boss. What you’re earning now is worth a lot less than it was 3 years ago. You deserve to bring the same value home if you have the same responsibilities.

Not sure this is a good thing to include in the conversation

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 8:44 am
Thanks for your replies.
Does it make any difference if my current pay is possibly considered above average? Meaning, my pay isn't bad, but it still feels stagnant that it hasn't increased in 3 years.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 8:59 am
Yes you can. My job offers a raise every half-year. You should be getting raises at the very least annually since due to inflation what you're making now is worth less than what it was a year ago.

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 9:17 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
Yes and no. The real answer is no. However due to covid and other factors the job market had changed and the going rate for various jobs have gone up so if you are paid under market value you can ask for a raise based on that. Passage of time is a not a reason for a raise. The fact that they would need to pay more to hire a replacement for you puts you in a favorable position to ask for one

The real answer is yes. Cost of living raises (COL) are standard in the non-heimish workplace.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 9:26 am
Don’t be shy . My salary stayed the same for years while my co workers got raises . Why ? Because they asked and I didn’t . Was told that I was at the top of the pay scale and I believed them . Then I saw the whole staffs salaries when the bookkeeper left the screen open on her desk top.
After three years you deserve some kind of raise. Unfortunately , at this time they might use the COVID expenses excuse. My boss did and only gave me a small raise.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 10:47 am
You can ask it will get you more than not asking. Whether they give it or not is a different story.

When asking for a raise you should show that you deserve it ie : you have done xyz for the company, you accomplish abc every day, you hve gained experience etcetc. Show them why they’re better off raising you than hiring someone else.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 10:49 am
Of course you should ask

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 10:56 am
Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better about asking- is it acceptable to mention when my last increase was as part of my reasoning?

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 11:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better about asking- is it acceptable to mention when my last increase was as part of my reasoning?

It depends on the culture of your workplace . If others have gotten a raise within that time period then yes.
Most important to come across as professional and not whiny.

cm

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 11:06 am
There are several kinds of raises:

1. Cost of living. Large companies do annual performance evaluations. If the worker has been performing satisfactorily, s/he will receive a small increase (in my experience, 2-3%) which essentially keeps your income stable. If your company doesn't automatically do this, and many smaller employers don't, by all means you should ask about it.

2. Pay raise (in addition to annual increase). If you feel you are underpaid, either because you have received or could realistically receive a higher offer from another company, or if your contributions to the company's bottom line are such that you are simply worth more than you are getting, it's time to renegotiate the terms of your employment. Don't expect your boss to initiate this conversation.

3. Promotion. If you are essentially doing another job with greater level of responsibility than the one you were hired to do, you may be due a new job title and job description as well as a higher salary. Don't settle for just the title.

Good luck!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 5:18 pm
watergirl wrote:
The real answer is yes. Cost of living raises (COL) are standard in the non-heimish workplace.

Ohm really? You could have fooled me. I work in the public sector and my union has to fight tooth and nail to get wage increases. Sometimes we get none, sometimes 1-2 % a year, depends on the contract that's negotiated. 3% is gevaldig.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 9:27 am
After 3 years, I was offered a 5% raise as well as some added responsibilities.
The company feels that they aren't making enough money, but I still expected more.
Is there room to negotiate when they are telling me that they aren't meeting their financial goals? Or is this a sign that it's time for me to move on?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 10:41 am
I would suggest it is time to move on.
I left a job that I was at for 7 years due to the lack of raises. I got one large raise 4 years ago which was a counteroffer because I was going to quit.
I left this job about six months ago and I have no regrets.
My new job gives regular raises every year. I just started in 2021 and got a 5% raise in January.
Anecdotally, my old job was at a frum company and my new job is not. I agree that col raises are standard in the non frum workplaces. It irks me when I have to negotiate a raise. I don't want to work in an environment that operates like that.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 10:51 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]After 3 years, I was offered a 5% raise as well as some added responsibilities.
The company feels that they aren't making enough money, but I still expected more.
Is there room to negotiate when they are telling me that they aren't meeting their financial goals? Or is this a sign that it's time for me to move on?[/quote

Standard raises are 3%, so 5% to me looks like they want to keep you. Many companies had salary freezes during COVID, so I think this is generous.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics