Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
If you teach kindergarten - 2nd grade, what do you REALLY
Previous  1  2

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 7:49 am
I have a 2nd grader who really doesn't like homework. Some days she tells me she won't do it. I refuse to make an issue of it, but tell her I can't sign if it's not done. And she'd have to explain to her morah/teacher why she didn't do it.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 7:53 am
Years ago, when my kids were young, I did homework with them every night. It wasn't easy. The teachers say it's just ten minutes and that's true, but if you have 5 kids in school, 3 of whom need their homework actively supervised, and two of whom just need you nearby, you're really pressed All of this has to happen between snack, supper, bath time and bedtime, and just letting kids be kids Carving out a half hour of quiet time is harder than it sounds.

devo1982

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:02 am
Echoing the many others, OP, who say that it sounds like you both have ADHD. It's VERY common for it to go undiagnosed in women for a very long time (I'm 36 and just realizing that this is likely the explanation for a lot of things I've struggled with despite being "very bright" my entire life). You can definitely learn strategies to help, but it'll be tricky.

Smart but Scattered is a great starting spot.

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:10 am
I don't worry about homework. My dd had a teacher who mentioned that my dd wasn't doing her homework. I said we are dealing with other stuff currently ( she knew that was the case) she said no problem I'll just tell her to do her homework first thing the next day. I said she'll need to be reminded. she said no problem. My daughter is very bright (skipped grade) but a bit of an absent minded professor.

I probably have adhd or something like that but I still sat down with my oldest when she was younger going through her random papers to throw out, at this point she can do it by herself. I'm still working with my middle daughter ( the one who struggled with homework) but she's way better then she used to be and now I'm starting with my youngest. I find it's easier to throw out other people's stuff Wink I find it very draining but it really is helpful for the kids.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 10:33 am
Talk to the teacher, most will be willing to work something out. One thing I would advise, don't skip or kriah and reading. Worksheets are usually busy work and can be skipped, but kriah and reading really do require frequent practice. I would focus on those if you have to triage.

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 11:51 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I get you op. My sons principal called me the other day to tell me that they are having a big test in a week and to make sure to do the homework with him every night. I was so embarrassed 😳
And I usually do the homework with him. But I guess I miss enough ...

there's a problem right there. Parents have no business doing the assignments with their children. It's the child's job. The parent's responsibility is to make sure the child does it and to be there to help when help is necessary. Yes, "doing the homework with the child" is just a figure of speech, but words have power.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 11:54 am
Same problem, but I refuse to drop the ball on my kids when I’m the one with issues. I want my kids to feel like im on the ball with their school life and I think they’d be anxious If I wasn’t on top of it (at least when they’re little)
So my dh takes care of the bulk of this. Not actually doing hmwk with them, but going through their backpacks, reading school emails and mail, buying them more school supplies when they run out. BH bec if not I’d need to hire an executive function coach.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:03 pm
Chiming in as a teacher here.

Kriah homework is a must, every child needs to be reading to an adult at some point every day. If we have each of our 25 students 2 minutes of reading out loud time, it would be almost an hour which we don't have in the day so please please please figure out a way to do Kriah homework.

Other homework I don't give often but when I do, if it's not done consistently I'll call the parent and find out more. I've had parents tell me it's just too much to be on top of so I text them when there's really important homework to be done and they'll make an effort for that night.

Messy backpacks, we do a grand clean up of all our desks and backpacks every other week in class so no judgement, I'm the teacher and I clean out my own teacher bag during clean up.

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:09 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
I find it's easier to throw out other people's stuff Wink

It always is. You have nothing invested in other people's stuff, emotionally, fiscally or otherwise. My kid's problem was, stuff never made it here because anything he didn't like he threw out on the way home.

chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:29 pm
Can you delegate these responsibilities to your husband?
Do you have a friend whose kid is in the same class? She can remind you of important things (send a stuffed toy, etc).
Discuss it with the teacher and come up with a plan suitable for you both. Maybe sign all/certain hw sheets on a sunday after you read with the kid on shabbos and do math Motzei shabbos? Ask her to text you about the important things?

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 1:05 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
I HATE home work!!!! To me homework should be mandatory1-2 days a week(so parents really know what is going on. Parents/children choose the day) the other days should be optional and the children who do more should be rewarded... houses are hectic many parents have more than one job, or work late outside the home and don’t want to spend the few waking hours fighting with their lies about work. They want to enjoy their time w their children... I’m my house the children who need the help do their homework the others choose if they want to do it based on what their own social pressures or consequences in school.🤷‍♀️

Omigosh are you me?? I refuse to turn homework into a fight. The minute any child starts complaining or crying or just refuses to do it, I'm not fighting them. I work long hours and I'm not wasting what little time I have with my kids trying to please their teachers. And by the way, my daughters teacher knows this. She knows I come home from work way after my kids do. Yet once a week I get a condescending text message that "Child A did not do her homework this week again". Yeah, I don't really care.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 2:12 am
My genius DD came home from 2nd grade and told me "My teacher this year doesn't believe in homework. She says that we do enough work in class, and as long as we do well on tests then we are fine." Whew! I was so relieved! I told her "Finally, a teacher with some common sense."

I never got any phone calls, and never saw any notes from the teacher, so I figured all was fine. I was naïve enough that it never occurred to me to check with the teacher! embarrassed

Towards the end of the school year, I was vacuuming under her dresser. I found a year's worth of homework. DD just smiled and didn't look the least bit guilty about it. What could I do, the year was almost over, and she had gotten good grades. She didn't get an A+ for turning in all of her homework, but a B+ was fine with me.

Kiddo has ADD, and homework has always been hard for her. In my perfect world, teachers would hand out a packet at the beginning of the week. Some kids finish the packet on the first day, and some take all week to work on it. Some do the whole thing the night before it's due. Everyone works differently. Just having that flexibility could really take the stress off of both the students and the parents. As long as everything is turned in on Friday, where's the harm?

DD is just starting college this year, and she wants to study early childhood education, and to teach kindergarten through 2nd grade. It will be interesting to see if her attitude towards homework changes.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 4:55 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Years ago, when my kids were young, I did homework with them every night. It wasn't easy. The teachers say it's just ten minutes and that's true, but if you have 5 kids in school, 3 of whom need their homework actively supervised, and two of whom just need you nearby, you're really pressed All of this has to happen between snack, supper, bath time and bedtime, and just letting kids be kids Carving out a half hour of quiet time is harder than it sounds.

This is why I served dinner as soon as they came home
1.They are “starving”
2. It’s 30 minutes down time, and we have time to talk
3. As soon as we are done with dinner HW while I clean up, multitask, yes cleaning up takes longer like this
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics