Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I'm concerned about her. This is so not healthy.
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:06 pm
My 10 year old has gotten to a point where she primarily eats pasta and cheese. She used to eat more things but as time passes she claims she doesn't like anything and eats pasta and cheese (or the equivalent) multiple times a week.
I grew up with a health militant mom and I try to have a more balanced approach to food. I don't force my kids to eat foods they don't like and I include all types of options. The problem is that she refuses to eat regular supper. I asked her to look at recipes in cookbooks for me to make for supper. She selected pasta and cheese, potato recipes, and chicken on the bone. I also noticed she eats mostly the skin on the chicken and hardly any actually chicken. She won't eat anything room temperature. Shabbos she eats cereal and challah. She won't eat fish. She stopped eating meatballs, she stopped eating shnitzel, she stopped eating hamburgers, she just claims to not like any food. She makes herself pasta and cheese and potato and cheese all the time. This is crazy. She always complaining that she is hungry and doesn't like supper, refuses to eat sandwhiches or yogurt.
I make pasta and cheese as a supper once a week. She is also only eats white carbs in school.
This is not about her gaining weight (which is of course happening) this is about her health.
I did talk about it with her but it didn't help at all. I'm struggling with not shaming or commenting too much but I cannot ignore this any longer.

Any advice?

Anon to respect my daughter's privacy.

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:09 pm
I have a BIL who has a very similar diet. Astonishingly, he seems very healthy. His parents just don't worry about it anymore.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:13 pm
My brother has a couple of kids like this. It's normal. Teach her how to cook and prepare it herself.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:15 pm
How about a gut detox? Sounds like candida bc craving carbs which turn into sugar.

In meantime it might help to bring in healthy pasta options like lentil, rice, quinoa, regular gluten free etc.. there are so! Many kinds. And then mix regular cheese with plant based so she at least will be having a more nutritious meal.

Will she eat popsicles? There are so many ways to make very loaded smoothies into popsicles

naomi2

Maybe Try a behavioral method with her. Because she used to eat those foods you know she can. Make a reward chart for eating 2 things a night that you serve and make the reward something special. Could be an outing with you or one on one time at home or a prize. I don't think you should ignore this.

jfk92

Start w small changes and move from there.
I.e. whole wheat or gluten free pasta w a vegetable and cheese baked. Or noodle free lasagna w eggplant or zucchini layered w sauce and cheese instead. This is not per say the healthiest, but it's a transition point. Side w raw vegetables and a creamier dressing.

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:16 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
How about a gut detox? Sounds like candida bc craving carbs which turn into sugar.

In meantime it might help to bring in healthy pasta options like lentil, rice, quinoa, regular gluten free etc.. there are so! Many kinds. And then mix regular cheese with plant based so she at least will be having a more nutritious meal.

Will she eat popsicles? There are so many ways to make very loaded smoothies into popsicles

Oh gosh do not do a detox on a child.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:18 pm
Go to a certified dietician who works with children and picky eaters. Sometimes a child needs to learn again to eat food

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:22 pm
How are the other areas of her life? Does she have friends? Does she like school? How are her grades? This could be an way of coping with emotional stress. Restricting food because you feel hefkerness in other areas.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:30 pm
Can someone tell me why gluten free pasta(regular not quinoa lentil...) is healthier than regular?
At least the wheat products are enriched with some vitamins...

sequoia

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:32 pm
It sounds like her body is craving fat, which is good!

Bring in more healthy fats. Buttered toast, a whole avocado, meat with more fat percentage.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:33 pm
Did this start after she had covid? If she has parosmia and anosmia, everything can taste and smell gross.
If it's not related to that, find an OT or feeding therapist that has experience in this area.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:37 pm
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
My brother has a couple of kids like this. It's normal. Teach her how to cook and prepare it herself.

She does prepare it herself. That's a whole other issue because then everyone else wants that instead of supper. But yes I do not make it for her.

amother
Crocus

amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Can someone tell me why gluten free pasta(regular not quinoa lentil...) is healthier than regular?
At least the wheat products are enriched with some vitamins...

It isn't, unless you are celiac. Gluten free products use something else to replace the gluten, and often have a high glycemic index, leading to blood sugar spikes. But they are fashionable.

STMommy

I'm guessing she's starting to experience hormonal changes that are affecting what foods she craves (and cheese is highly susceptible to food cravings) and what foods turn her off.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:38 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
I have a BIL who has a very similar diet. Astonishingly, he seems very healthy. His parents just don't worry about it anymore.

What do you mean seems healthy? How can you see if someone is healthy or not?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:39 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:

We have healthy options she's just not eating them and she refuses any other type of pasta either. Should I ban pasta from the house?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:44 pm
I don't know if she had covid, she's never tested positive for it but could be who knows over the past 2 years.
If it's hormonal, what is there to do?
I'm kind of wary of sending her to a nutritionist, I was sent to one at her age and I have never had a normal relationship with food since.
She won't eat these foods mentioned. I just want her to go back to eating a variety of semi healthy meals. And proteins. She keeps saying cheese is a protein, but that can't be her only protein source.
Maybe a behavioral approach would work.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:47 pm
Do NOT “detox” a child. Maybe meet with a nutritionist who specializes in very picky/averse kids?

quote="amother [ Gladiolus ]"]How about a gut detox? Sounds like candida bc craving carbs which turn into sugar.

In

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you mean seems healthy? How can you see if someone is healthy or not?

His parents live with him, bring him to the doctor, etc. and have no concerns. What are you concerned will happen to your daughter if she doesn't eat 'healthy' foods? Do you think it is unnoticeable things that won't affect her life or things you can perceive?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics