Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Am I the only one who didn't find the magic?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:15 pm
jk7 wrote:
It does not work for everyone, everyone’s body has different chemistry and needs and this way of eating is too hard on some people. When I tried keto type diet I had the worst headaches and fatigue and it did not go away or my body get used to it like people said it would.

Salt is typically the answer to these issues which are usual for keto flu.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ate the same menu as my friends. High fat, salt, protein. No processed foods.
I have no idea if I'm insulin resistant. I'm fat and I crave carbs.
The fat was killing my stomach but if it killed the cravings it would be worth it.

Op this is why I asked to give us a sample days menu.
Perhaps someone here can tweak it for you so that you have more success
For example here is what I eat on a typical keto day

8:00 am Butter Coffee, 2 TBSP butter blended in coffee no sweetner - Big Cup, 16oz, I sip on this all morning

unsweetened cold herbal tea or plain water around 32 oz

Around 12:30/1:00- I have my actual first meal
3 jumbo eggs scrambled (faster than hardboil)
Homemade Mayo smashed into it
I stuff a small green pepper with this
Lettuce dressed with mct oil and salt

Around 6pm I usually have
4-5 chicken wings
Broccoli or Cauliflower or Mushrooms, roasted
Homemade Mayo to dip veg and chicken in

Hot herbal tea-sometimes

I finish eating before 7 pm that gives me an 18/6 fast

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Everyone is doing keto or cutting out carbs and sugar and they all talk about this magically no more cravings thing.
Why didn't it happen to me?
I went on the same eating plan as they did, they are blissfully craving free, committed, and smaller and I couldn't do it. After 7 weeks the cravings consumed me, my digestive system couldn't handle the keto foods and I just binged my way back up the 12 lbs I lost.
Every thread here, every post on social media, every conversation in real life, there is one suggestion go off carbs. Andrea you comment on every post with the same explanation and I wish I could be you. I wish it worked. Why doesn't it work for me?
For me the cravings built and built and built until I drowned in them.

I don't want to be skinny, I want to not crave so I can actually stick to a healthy eating plan.

Didn’t happen to me either, so for now I just gave up….

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The fat was killing my stomach but if it killed the cravings it would be worth it.
It’s not worth destroying your health. Find the diet that works for you. And look into taking supplements. I find that when I take the right vitamins the cravings aren’t as bad.

acemom

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:13 pm
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
Op this is why I asked to give us a sample days menu.
Perhaps someone here can tweak it for you so that you have more success
For example here is what I eat on a typical keto day

8:00 am Butter Coffee, 2 TBSP butter blended in coffee no sweetner - Big Cup, 16oz, I sip on this all morning

Around 12:30/1:00- I have my actual first meal
3 jumbo eggs scrambled (faster than hardboil)
Homemade Mayo smashed into it
I stuff a small green pepper with this

Around 6pm I usually have
4-5 chicken wings
Broccoli or Cauliflower or Mushrooms, roasted
Homemade Mayo to dip veg and chicken in

Hot herbal tea-sometimes

I finish eating before 7 pm that gives me an 18/6 fast

Do you feel full after such a daily menu? There is so little food listed.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:04 pm
acemom wrote:
Do you feel full after such a daily menu? There is so little food listed.

I was thinking that.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You could do a digestive s enzyme to help break down the fats. Or bile support.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:19 pm
It seems like you were missing electrolytes, which is very common when doing keto. On keto you need to increase your salt intake. That means sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt, not table salt.

It's also possible you weren't getting enough calories for you specific needs. Calories need to be consumed based on your size, metabolism and level of physical activity. An extreme caloric deficit may increase cortisol which will increase cravings and not allow your body to utilize fat as energy. (As an aside, cortisol is also increased by stress and lack of sleep.)

Another possibility is a deficiency in B vitamins which is also common.

Also, nothing works for everyone equally. If you are willing to try keto and/or intermittent fasting again, it may be beneficial to work with a knowledgeable nutritionist or doctor who can guide you according to your specific needs and body type.

Either way, take care of your body and feel good, regardless of your size.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:34 pm
honeymoon wrote:
It seems like you were missing electrolytes, which is very common when doing keto. On keto you need to increase your salt intake. That means sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt, not table salt.

It's also possible you weren't getting enough calories for you specific needs. Calories need to be consumed based on your size, metabolism and level of physical activity. An extreme caloric deficit may increase cortisol which will increase cravings and not allow your body to utilize fat as energy. (As an aside, cortisol is also increased by stress and lack of sleep.)

Another possibility is a deficiency in B vitamins which is also common.

Also, nothing works for everyone equally. If you are willing to try keto and/or intermittent fasting again, it may be beneficial to work with a knowledgeable nutritionist or doctor who can guide you according to your specific needs and body type.

Either way, take care of your body and feel good, regardless of your size.

Did you read where I mentioned that I was taking the Himalayan salt. I was not calorie deficit at all. I wasn't hungry I just felt sick to my stomach for 7 weeks.

Interesting about the B vitamins. I will def look into that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:36 pm
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
It’s not worth destroying your health. Find the diet that works for you. And look into taking supplements. I find that when I take the right vitamins the cravings aren’t as bad.

Any recommendations of vitamins?

smss

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:37 pm
No one way of eating is for everyone.
And certainly not keto.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did you read where I mentioned that I was taking the Himalayan salt. I was not calorie deficit at all. I wasn't hungry I just felt sick to my stomach for 7 weeks.

Interesting about the B vitamins. I will def look into that.

Sorry, I missed the part where you wrote you were taking the salts.

Fat can, indeed, be heavy for some people and with some lifestyles. You need to find a plan that works for you.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

How long did you do it before you gave up? Can you post what you’d eat typically in a day?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How obnoxious. This is exactly what I'm talking about. There's this shaming in the weightloss community that if you aren't doing keto you're less than and if it's not magic you're doing it wrong.

I know for a fact that I wasn't doing it wrong. My friends and I did it together. I ate all the right things, I drink 10-12 cups of water a day. All I felt was sick to my stomach, cramps, and intense cravings for carbs. No magic. The weight dropped. I lost 12 lbs in 7 weeks. But I felt horrible.

OMG. No words. Please show me where I shamed you or said you’re less than if you aren’t doing keto? Wow, you just got triggered for some reason.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:12 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Yes that was obnoxious. What it sounds like you are describing is keto flu. That’s is solved by salt and mostly caused by dehydration when your body lets go of the extra fluid it’s holding. You might have needed more salt than you were taking.

I think there’s a huge difference between shaming and trouble shooting. I hope you are understanding I do the latter.

And I fat shamed? Wow something is really off here…was trying to be helpful. Good luck to all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:43 am
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
OMG. No words. Please show me where I shamed you or said you’re less than if you aren’t doing keto? Wow, you just got triggered for some reason.

I said that people assume that if the magic didn't work for you than you did it wrong. That's pretty accusatory. It's like someone looking for a shidduch for their child and a woman who married off all her kids saying, if your daughter is still single, you're doing it wrong.

I did it for 7 weeks (I believe I wrote that earlier) and I don't remember my menu offhand it was almost 6 months ago. I can't try to remember. Let's say one day might have looked like this:

Eggs avocado sauteed veggies
Nuts
Grilled salmon with butter with loaded salad
Steak or chicken with roasted veggies, soup or salad

I also had coffee with full fat milk.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I said that people assume that if the magic didn't work for you than you did it wrong. That's pretty accusatory. It's like someone looking for a shidduch for their child and a woman who married off all her kids saying, if your daughter is still single, you're doing it wrong.

I did it for 7 weeks (I believe I wrote that earlier) and I don't remember my menu offhand it was almost 6 months ago. I can't try to remember. Let's say one day might have looked like this:

Eggs avocado sauteed veggies
Nuts
Grilled salmon with butter with loaded salad
Steak or chicken with roasted veggies, soup or salad

I also had coffee with full fat milk.

We are not accusing you of doing it wrong
It’s just different ppl need different approaches
For example I need to have MY carb count under 12g TOTAL for optimal results at 20g I maintain . Perhaps in the future my body will be more heeled and I can do 20 Net Grams

Right off the bat - Full fat MILK is about 12g carbs
Avocado, I think , 6g I need to look it up
Nuts are also loaded with carbs
Too much protein can spike insulin

Keto needs to be customized to you

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:42 am
Milk is 12g carbs per cup, not per splash into coffee.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:48 am
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
Milk is 12g carbs per cup, not per splash into coffee.

Correct but a splash here and a splash there can add up
Especially if you don’t measure
And to spend more than 1/2 your allotted carbs on coffee, it’s a lot
You can use butter and one of those little whipping frothers and the plus is it’s added fat, and super delicious

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:49 am
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
We are not accusing you of doing it wrong
It’s just different ppl need different approaches
For example I need to have MY carb count under 12g TOTAL for optimal results at 20g I maintain . Perhaps in the future my body will be more heeled and I can do 20 Net Grams

Right off the bat - Full fat MILK is about 12g carbs
Avocado, I think , 6g I need to look it up
Nuts are also loaded with carbs
Too much protein can spike insulin

Keto needs to be customized to you

I'm responding to the poster who did tell me I was doing it wrong and yes it is magic.

I followed the program, I didn't make up amounts, I'm just giving examples of what I may have eaten. the carb count was taken into consideration at the time. I tried cream and I threw up. The high fat keto requires doesn't agree with me. Over the 7 weeks it didn't get better it got worse.

What do you mean too much protein can spike insulin? I never heard that.

Either way, I really wished there was another answer, another way to get to that magic place of no cravings that worked for me. But every time I look for advice on losing weight and managing cravings I'm pointed to keto. There has got to be other options. I hope. I think.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise