Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Things to do in or near Sanhedria Murchevet
1  2  Next

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:36 am
I'm planning on visiting family who live there. I also wanted to do some site seeing nearby. My family member's only suggestion was walking through Machane Yehuda.

Any ideas? For adults only.

Thanks!

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:55 am
Machaneh Yehuda is not particularly close to Sanhedria Murchevet, which is a residential area at the bottom of a big hill. The closest shopping areas would be Paran in Ramat Eshkol and Bar Ilan/Shmuel Hanavi. No real sightseeing nearby though.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:03 am
machaneh yehudah is very far. I would think that the kosel is equally close, maybe closer!

I think it's sight seeing enough to walk around yerushalayim!!!!

I miss Yerushalayim! I miss Sanhedria Murchevet! (Lived there)

Bar Ilan/Shmuel Hanavi is close, so is Ramat Eshkol. So is ezras Torah.

What do you mean by sightseeing, and what do you mean by nearby?
Then we can help you!

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:10 am
It's not really on the tourist map. I've noticed a sign about the kevarim of the Sanhedrin, which might be worth exploring. Presumably it's what gave the area its name.

There is also Ammunition Hill not far away, where a major battle on the Six Day War took place. There is an exhibition and memorial to the soldiers.

The rarest shopping area is Ramat Eshkol. Obviously there is the Old City with the Kotel and other tourist sites which is not far away.

Reality

I'm not 100% sure what I mean. We are visiting family in the morning but want to do something in the afternoon on our own. We are taking the bus to Yerushalayim so want to limit intercity buses because we'll have sat so long on the bus already.

I guess I had in mind something historical or a museum. I'm open to any suggestion. Shopping doesn't really interest me. Historical street or people watching. Anything? Sorry for being vague.

amother
Daisy

go to the kosel!

If the matzav is safe, to to kever rochel. Ask your relative for bus options and info.
I never went when I lived there, and I should have.

If you want to see bustling shopping areas, go to Rechov paran/ bar ilan/ Rav Shefa mall.
it sounss like there is lots of (American style?) Shopping near Yirmiyahu and Shamgar now that all those fancy buildings are done.

Geulah/Meah shearim has a nice flavor, and is way closer than machaneh yehuda

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:11 am
You can take the light rail from there to the kotel/old city - can’t be better than that!

Agree that it’s very residential- you can walk through the shops on paran and grab lunch too

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:12 am
People watching everywhere!!!!

Museums - there's yad vashem (holocaust-pretty far)
There's some battle monument museum for 1967 at the edge of ramat eshkol, next to the light rail

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:13 am
You know what else I wish I did?
Take a tour of the old city. Tons of history wherever you walk, but I didn't know there history!

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:15 am
I went to the Kosel and Kever Rachel pretty recently.

I guess I was wondering if there were any hidden gems nearby.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:16 am
If you hang out at the bottom of the Sanhedria Murchevet hill, near Meuhedet and Knesses Yehuda, you many spot Rav Asher Arielli shlita or Rav Yitzchok Berkovits.

Truthfully, the people in SM are just very great, incredible people.

Meet the Americans who have lived there for 20+ years in their old, small apartments, and they are so happy. (I miss them!)

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:16 am
It’s a pretty short ride on the light rail if you are worried about being in a slow packed bus this is not the case. It’s a very pleasant ride

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:21 am
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
If you hang out at the bottom of the Sanhedria Murchevet hill, near Meuhedet and Knesses Yehuda, you many spot Rav Asher Arielli shlita or Rav Yitzchok Berkovits.

Truthfully, the people in SM are just very great, incredible people.

Meet the Americans who have lived there for 20+ years in their old, small apartments, and they are so happy. (I miss them!)

That definitely describes my family there!!

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:22 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
It’s a pretty short ride on the light rail if you are worried about being in a slow packed bus this is not the case. It’s a very pleasant ride

Thank you! That's a very good suggestion!

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:22 am
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
People watching everywhere!!!!

Museums - there's yad vashem (holocaust-pretty far)
There's some battle monument museum for 1967 at the edge of ramat eshkol, next to the light rail

Is it a nice museum?

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:26 am
Reality wrote:
That definitely describes my family there!!

Then I bet I know them and was so inspired by them!!

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:27 am
Reality wrote:
Is it a nice museum?

I'm sorry, I don't know.
But you can google if interested. As someone else crossposted with me, it's Ammunition Hill, givat hatachmoshet

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:32 am
Are you going with a husband or teen boy? Would they be interested in meeting great ppl in SM?
Rav Yitzchak Yosef (son of Rav Ovadia) lives in the center of the neighborhood. I don't know how you'd meet him. He had a kabbalat kahal on Sukkos when we were there...

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:38 am
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
Are you going with a husband or teen boy? Would they be interested in meeting great ppl in SM?
Rav Yitzchak Yosef (son of Rav Ovadia) lives in the center of the neighborhood. I don't know how you'd meet him. He had a kabbalat kahal on Sukkos when we were there...

I'm going with my husband.

I was sort of thinking about that too. Going to a Rav or Rebbitzen for a bracha.

Another mom

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:39 am
Reality wrote:
I'm not 100% sure what I mean. We are visiting family in the morning but want to do something in the afternoon on our own. We are taking the bus to Yerushalayim so want to limit intercity buses because we'll have sat so long on the bus already.

I guess I had in mind something historical or a museum. I'm open to any suggestion. Shopping doesn't really interest me. Historical street or people watching. Anything? Sorry for being vague.

Givat HaTachmoshet, very close! Historical and well done
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions