Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Home makeover on a super tight budget
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:09 pm
We were very fortunate to buy our home a few years ago. We planned to move in and slowly do things to make it look more homey and 'finished'. We moved in with no furniture or super cheap, second hand, no light fixtures-bare bulbs, paper shades, etc.

It's been a few years and we've had one crazy expense after another and haven't ever been able to do the things we wanted to do. I enjoy pretty things and it makes me sad that our home still looks so unfinished.

I really want to do some things to make it look nice, even if it's not exactly how I would've liked it to be done.

I found a way to diy curtains from cheap flat sheets and I've already ordered stuff to try that out in one room and see how it goes.

Can you give me ideas of what else I can do to make my home look nice? I need it to be super duper cheap and I'm not afraid of a little diy. Thank you!

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:26 pm
Paint yourself. When it's bright and fresh, everything looks and feels better.
Check out Craigslist and free cycle places for furniture.
Set a budget and buy a light fixture for your focal room.

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 11:19 pm
There is a lot of YouTube channels that can help you. Look under home makeover diy

shopdrop

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:31 am
Def check out facebook marketplace etc.

Roots

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:52 am
where are you in the world? in israel websites like agora and yad2
also pinterest has LOADS of ideas!!

Newcastle

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:37 am
I think you can get actual curtains on Amazon, Walmart, etc that are not more expensive than flat sheets; easier, and better looking end-result, I’d imagine. Like you, I’m also looking to add nice touches on a low budget (in a rental, though). Hatzlocha

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:15 am
I’m doing this now. A lot of diy. It takes time but end result is beautiful! I’m also going to thrift stores and ikea. For art u can even find some beautiful scarves in the thrift shop for like .50 and frame it. Check out you tube. But know what you want to do because it can get overwhelming. So probably start in one room before you move to the next.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 6:17 am
Newcastle wrote:
I think you can get actual curtains on Amazon, Walmart, etc that are not more expensive than flat sheets; easier, and better looking end-result, I’d imagine. Like you, I’m also looking to add nice touches on a low budget (in a rental, though). Hatzlocha

I have very wide Windows so the curtains aren't cheap in those sizes anymore...

mizle10

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 6:23 am
Instead of replacing old furniture, paint it over and put new hardware. I've completely revamped some old pieces of furniture, people are shocked when I show them the before picture!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 6:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ppl do a few panels

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 6:25 am
Target has some great home decor in fabulous prices. I especially love the studio McGee, threshold, hearth and hand lines. Great Wall hangings, consoles, bookshelves , rugs , light fixtures etc.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 8:25 am
Do each room individually so you don't get overwhelmed. Look around the room and make a list of all the things you would ideally like to improve on. Pick a couple of manageable aspects to transform the room.
I bought a couple of lampshades for the bare bulbs hanging from my ceiling. Cost me less than $10 and it makes the room look much better, and is much cheaper than proper fixtures. Try thrift stores for all different household items-this can include curtains, cushions and other small things that can make a room look better.
I did in my old house a feature wall with jigsaws. I made a stack of different pictures and mounted them on the wall. It didn't cost me very much and it was a great conversation piece when I had anyone come to see my house. You can also frame pictures that the kids have made. Covering the wall with these sorts of things helps disguise a wall that could do with redecorating.
The one thing I did recently was to save up and I finally redid my flooring downstairs. I had old carpet that used to drive me nuts, it was always dirty and stained. I put in light wood laminate and my rooms are transformed. They're bigger and airier and I can't get over the difference. But it wasn't cheap.
If you want to post specific rooms and the sort of thing you're after, I'm sure people will be happy to try and offer suggestions.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 8:35 am
Roots wrote:
where are you in the world? in israel websites like agora and yad2
also pinterest has LOADS of ideas!!

I second this. You won't believe what people are getting rid of.

amf

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 8:40 am
Newcastle wrote:

Yup, I just hung curtains from Walmart. Curtain was $11 for 2 panels, curtain rod was $6. 48" windows. Hardest part honestly was ironing the curtain...

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 8:45 am
Like other posters said, paint yourself, paint old furniture, etc. look for second hand or free furniture on yad shniya or Round2 if you’re in the frustrate area, shop at stores like ikea, target, Walmart for good prices.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 9:20 am
Wow thank you so much for all these ideas!

I'm located in NJ.

Our house is actually pretty nice, like the walls were recently painted in pretty creams and taupe type colors when we bought. I am fine with the colors and we have wood floor throughout upstairs and downstairs. Everything just looks so naked and bare.

The two rooms that are really irking me right now are the living room/dining room-which is really just one big room, and the master bedroom.

The LR/DR has furniture that we got for free from a relative. We have a table-no chairs, a breakfront which is kind of outdated. We also put an old counter height tiny table that we had for lighting candles for shabbos. Also from said relative, we have an open bookcase, which I really like, and a couch.

Master bedroom has 2 beds, no headboard or anything. 2 nightstands and a dresser with mirror which we got from someone giving it away. It's heavy, ornate, mid eastern style. I don't really like it but....

I'm gonna check out the curtains in target and Wal-Mart, thanx 4 that idea.

I guess I'm not so good at this...give me some specific ideas what I can do to make these spaces more appealing.

Thanx!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 9:33 am
mizle10 wrote:
Instead of replacing old furniture, paint it over and put new hardware. I've completely revamped some old pieces of furniture, people are shocked when I show them the before picture!

How do you paint furniture ?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I buy 2 panels per side. It makes it look fuller and luxurious. Plus when u close it, it fully covers the windows comfortably

amother
Magnolia

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 11:08 am
For the dining/living room, perhaps getting a rug, coffee table and two side chairs to pull together the room. Wall art can do a lot to the room too.

Check out yad shniya. Their Instagram has stuff for sale, but whatsapp also has free items.

Newcastle

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 11:21 am
You can find a nice throw blanket for your couch online, for about $20-either fur/sherpa type, or a flat herringbone, which seems to be trending now.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics