Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Why doesn't anyone offer babysitting services?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:02 pm
We're going to Orlando in a few weeks and DH refuses to go to universal with our kiddos.

They're 3 & 1 and won't last more than an hour in a huge busy park.
So we're just going to relax by the pool but I'm so sad to be 20 minutes away from universal and not go. I love Harry Potter and dying to go. Guess I'll have to wait I'll they're bigger

Why aren't there babysitting services anywhere for a few hours? They'd make a bomb. I'm sure we're not the only ones.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:06 pm
Wouldn't you need to vet who is watching your children?
If a random service pops up, you'd just use them?

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're going to Orlando in a few weeks and DH refuses to go to universal with our kiddos.

They're 3 & 1 and won't last more than an hour in a huge busy park.
So we're just going to relax by the pool but I'm so sad to be 20 minutes away from universal and not go. I love Harry Potter and dying to go. Guess I'll have to wait I'll they're bigger

Why aren't there babysitting services anywhere for a few hours? They'd make a bomb. I'm sure we're not the only ones.

Take your parents along - that’s what people do. Or leave the kids with them.
Would you trust some complete strangers to watch your kids?

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:14 pm
Quick Google search tells me that there are such services in Orlando.

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:14 pm
We've called chabad and used their recommendations on the few occasions we've needed a babysitter on vacation. I wouldn't use a service

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:19 pm
Call the Orlando Torah Academy- Rabbi Rennert. He may know some girls.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:42 pm
I wasn't thinking of strangers. I was thinking of a Frum service. I would do it if I lived in Orlando.
You think I could call chabad and ask for girls number?

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:47 pm
I think there are some numbers for sitters listed on myjewishflorida.com.

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wasn't thinking of strangers. I was thinking of a Frum service. I would do it if I lived in Orlando.

Of course. Why not. I mean, I'd ask for the recommendation of a responsible adult that they know and trust as a babysitter. We've done this while away and it's worked well. I definitely wouldn't use a girl if it wasn't by neighborhood etc. But that's just me.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:23 pm
I babysit for parents who are on vacation and I know why no one does it.

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:33 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I babysit for parents who are on vacation and I know why no one does it.

Please share why.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:37 pm
Most people wouldn't think to bring a 1 and 3yo to a theme park that they couldn't enjoy.

Go someplace more toddler friendly, and save the big parks for when the kids are older.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:44 pm
amother [ Snow ] wrote:
Please share why.

Take a guess

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:46 pm
Take a guess
Is it because there aren't enough customers so it's not steady income?

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Is it because there aren't enough customers so it's not steady income?

No. It’s because it’s one of the hardest jobs I’ve ever done and I’ve done a lot of them.

You deal with a lot of entitlement, flakiness, you don’t get instructions or you get too many instructions so you forget the important ones, many people don’t pay, they pick up a lot later than they said they would, they treat you like ****, etc.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:52 pm
No. It’s because it’s one of the hardest jobs I’ve ever done and I’ve done a lot of them.

You deal with a lot of entitlement, flakiness, you don’t get instructions or you get too many instructions so you forget the important ones, many people don’t pay, they pick up a lot later than they said they would, they treat you like ****, etc.

I'm sorry to hear that!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:53 pm
I personally wouldn't use such a service and wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a child on a recommendation.

Emerald, I give you a lot of credit for dealing with that!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 7:02 pm

My "favorite" (not!) is when you have a new client. They drop off the kid and run out the door, conveniently failing to mention that they have PANDAS, autism, ODD, or other behavioral issues. Then they come back 3 hours later than they said they would, when you've already torn out half of your hair in frustration. At wits end

I understand that it's really hard to be the parent of a SN kid, and that it's super hard to find a sitter, but PLEASE don't just dump your child on me and dash before I can notice that something might be amiss. I am not trained in SN childcare - and you are not paying me nearly enough money to deal with the situation.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 7:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I personally wouldn't use such a service and wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a child on a recommendation.

Emerald, I give you a lot of credit for dealing with that!

This! How can you do that to your kids. Just leave them with a complete stranger so you can vacation? I would never do that sorry. Really unfair to the kids.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 7:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I know people who have done this.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics