Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Night training 4.5 yr old

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 10:32 pm
Ok I’ve heard that at this age a child can’t “learn” to consolidate and you should just wait until they wake up dry. My 4.5 yr old has been potty trained since about 3 and Bh rarely has any accidents. We put on pull ups at night and she always wakes up fairly wet and is so comfortable in them I’ve caught her wetting them before she’s even gone to bed as opposed to using the toilet. This week she woke up with a BM in her diaper and I was infuriated. She is in a toddler bed in her own room but says she’s “scared” to leave her room or even her bed to go to the bathroom alone. She will not even step foot outside her bed until I come in her room. She has a night light but it doesn’t help. How do I get this kid in underwear at night? Do I let it go for now or try to push it?
As a side note I have a 3yr old, 2yr old, and 5 month old in diapers so one less kid would be nice! Banging head

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 4:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok I’ve heard that at this age a child can’t “learn” to consolidate and you should just wait until they wake up dry. My 4.5 yr old has been potty trained since about 3 and Bh rarely has any accidents. We put on pull ups at night and she always wakes up fairly wet and is so comfortable in them I’ve caught her wetting them before she’s even gone to bed as opposed to using the toilet. This week she woke up with a BM in her diaper and I was infuriated. She is in a toddler bed in her own room but says she’s “scared” to leave her room or even her bed to go to the bathroom alone. She will not even step foot outside her bed until I come in her room. She has a night light but it doesn’t help. How do I get this kid in underwear at night? Do I let it go for now or try to push it?
As a side note I have a 3yr old, 2yr old, and 5 month old in diapers so one less kid would be nice! Banging head

I have a similar almost 4yo dd. I'm pretty sure she'd be dry all night in a couple of nights max, but she wants the diaper still. She usually goes in it before bed, often BM, and needs a change, and if I get her dressed right when she wakes up, she's usually dry. If she's up a bit, she'll just pee there instead of the toilet. I told her she doesn't need it, she's big, but she still wants it so we're leaving it for now. Doesn't seem worth the fight. I definitely don't think you should be getting "infuriated" about it!! Oh, and I wish she'd stay in her bed until I come to her- she comes to my bed almost every night! I'd wait a bit with your dd, even though she does have 3 under her!

dinglehopper

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 8:33 am
She is scared. Maybe have her call out for you to take her to the bathroom and see if that solves the issue.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 9:44 am
Her fear is very real, don't minimize it. What about if you have a monitor and she can call you if she needs the bathroom?
I never push the night training, it comes when they're ready.
Also I hope you didn't show your 'infuriation' to her for having a nighttime accident, even if #2.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 9:50 am
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
Her fear is very real, don't minimize it. What about if you have a monitor and she can call you if she needs the bathroom?
I never push the night training, it comes when they're ready.
Also I hope you didn't show your 'infuriation' to her for having a nighttime accident, even if #2.

We have a monitor and I’ve spoken to her through it and tried to encourage her just to come out of bed but she won’t.The BM didn’t happen when she was sleeping and out of her control but rather when she was already awake and in her bed. Of course I didn’t show her my frustration. I get it if she is sleeping and makes in her pull up but the point is she’s so comfortable in it that she’s making even when she’s awake. Hope that clarity’s the issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training