Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Important...Breaking off challah for Bracha
1  2  3  Next

Mommy007

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 9:56 pm
I'm curious what everyone does. Last week I made challah for the first time. I was told that the piece I break off for the bracha should be put in the freezer till next pesach. Now I hear that I should burn it.

I am in middle of making challah now and was wondering what to do. I really would appreciate responses asap. Thanks so much.

bashinda

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 10:04 pm
it's a minhag. You could do either.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 10:05 pm
I was always told to burn it. I'm assuming that saving till pesach means you would burn it with the chametz anyway...

abismommy

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 10:09 pm
it does need to be burnt. but you could wait to burn it until whenever. I used to do it every week, but then s-o told me that you can't burn it in the oven. then s-o else told me that you can't burn it OPEN in the oven, and another person said not in the oven with any other food. I got tired of having the smoke alarm go off every week so I asked (a rov this time!) and as told that it can wait until pesach. so our biur chametz smells good every year!

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 10:26 pm
you can burn it in the oven, but you can't burn it at the same time that the challah is baking. I usually burn it on my stovetop. I do it every time I bake challah. I do not have the freezer space for taken challah...

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 10:54 pm
Quote:
so I asked (a rov this time!) and as told that it can wait until pesach. so our biur chametz smells good every year!

And it also takes forever!!!! The first year I did that and I had about 30 pieces of challa and my dh said never again. It has to first defrost, then bake, then burn and it took soooo long, on the busy Erev Pesach!

bashinda

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 11:04 pm
I had the same experience and I forgot to defrost it first. embarrassed then one year I put it in a bag to defrost and it disappeared before biur chometz. maybe the cleaning lady threw it away? I never found it. anyway so I do it over an open flame and zeh-oh.

grin

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 2:47 pm
I'd be afraid someone would eat it if I kept it in the freezer. I burn it ASAP so it doesn't get lost.

GramaNewYork

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 2:49 pm
My grandmother in Europe didn't have a freezer so our minhag is to burn it.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 2:49 pm
grin wrote:
I'd be afraid someone would eat it if I kept it in the freezer. I burn it ASAP so it doesn't get lost.

Why would somebody eat raw dough??

MrsLeo

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 3:30 pm
How big does the piece that you take off have to be?
Also do you take off challah when you make the dough or when you actually bake it? I make 5 lbs of dough and give my mother 2lbs of it so that noone has a question of whether they need to take off challah off of 2lbs or 3lbs. Am I allowed to take off challah from all 5lbs on thursday before I give my mother her 2lbs and then bake it the next day?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 3:38 pm
the piece should be less than a kezayis. leo, maybe you'd like a book explainign the process. dh could get you a present !

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 3:42 pm
abismommy wrote:
it does need to be burnt.

Not according to my Rav. He said you can just double wrap and throw away. I used to just wrap in tin foil and burn in oven.

MrsLeo

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 3:42 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
the piece should be less than a kezayis. leo, maybe you'd like a book explainign the process. dh could get you a present !

I know how the process works, I just want to know if I can take challah when I make the dough and not when im actually baking.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 3:43 pm
MrsLeo wrote:
How big does the piece that you take off have to be? Also do you take off challah when you make the dough or when you actually bake it? I make 5 lbs of dough and give my mother 2lbs of it so that noone has a question of whether they need to take off challah off of 2lbs or 3lbs. Am I allowed to take off challah from all 5lbs on thursday before I give my mother her 2lbs and then bake it the next day?

so wy did yu ask ?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 3:48 pm
MrsLeo wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

I know how the process works, I just want to know if I can take challah when I make the dough and not when im actually baking.

I always take challa when I make the dough.

But I wonder, if you split the dough and give away half to someone else, then both dont have to take challa cause they're both less than a shiur? I imagine if the dough was originally 5 lbs, then challa has to be taken.

mama-star

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 3:48 pm
Quote:
you can burn it in the oven, but you can't burn it at the same time that the challah is baking.

I never knew that! I'm going to check into that. Smile

I used to freeze and save my pieces to burn erev pesach, but it became too much of a balagan with everything else going on at that hectic time. now I burn it right away (usually when my challah is baking, but like I said, I'm going to look into that).

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 4:03 pm
mama-star wrote:
Quote:
you can burn it in the oven, but you can't burn it at the same time that the challah is baking.

I never knew that! I'm going to check into that. Smile

I used to freeze and save my pieces to burn erev pesach, but it became too much of a balagan with everything else going on at that hectic time. now I burn it right away (usually when my challah is baking, but like I said, I'm going to look into that).

I'd love a source for not burning while baking, I thought that was standard...

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 4:09 pm
just looked in the ksa... says nothing about not burning while baking.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 4:31 pm
right. I understaood it was universally done that way.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads