Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Converting to solar

wifeandmore

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 12:18 pm
We are considering switching to solar.
I'm wondering why it isn't more common? Is there something we should be aware of? is it because the initial payment is so high?
Tesla themselves are coming in at way lower quotes than other companies that use Tesla parts... Is there any benefit to paying more?
Thanks

tweety1

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 12:31 pm
Where do you live? I was very into it. Lots of research. I even had an official meeting with a company. In Brooklyn, it's very hard because they need enough sunlight surrounding the entire house.
We didn't end up with solar because financially it wasn't worth it for us. You only get to really own it after about 20 years or so. You sort of finance it till then. Maybe things have changed since we backed out of it. Itbwas quite a few yeas ago.

Lkwdmom4

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 12:36 pm
We have solar. It definitely saves us money but you need to do a ton of research and be wary of anything you're told by the company. I will say that installation was a REAL pain and they needed access to the house a lot of days so my husband had to leave work early, go in late, etc. to accommodate their schedule. Also, we had a roof leak not long after install. While I can't blame the installation for the leak and the company did take responsibility and repair it, the whole situation was a big hassle. I'm happy overall but knowing what I know now, I don't think I would go through it again.

wifeandmore

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 12:39 pm
I don't live in Brooklyn. It's super sunny where I live(more suburbs)

All details are appreciated. Thanks so much!

wifeandmore

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 1:34 pm
Lkwdmom4 wrote:
We have solar. It definitely saves us money but you need to do a ton of research and be wary of anything you're told by the company. I will say that installation was a REAL pain and they needed access to the house a lot of days so my husband had to leave work early, go in late, etc. to accommodate their schedule. Also, we had a roof leak not long after install. While I can't blame the installation for the leak and the company did take responsibility and repair it, the whole situation was a big hassle. I'm happy overall but knowing what I know now, I don't think I would go through it again.

Have you heard of roof issues from others? Is that a thing? A risk?

Living Princess

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 1:58 pm
wifeandmore wrote:
I don't live in Brooklyn. It's super sunny where I live(more suburbs)

All details are appreciated. Thanks so much!

I've been asking around as I also live in a super sunny place, specifically regarding solar boilers- people say they don't always get enough hot water. Unless it's super sunny 365 days a year..

wifeandmore

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 2:35 pm
Living Princess wrote:
I've been asking around as I also live in a super sunny place, specifically regarding solar boilers- people say they don't always get enough hot water. Unless it's super sunny 365 days a year..

Thanks
No I live in New York so def not sunny all year
Good to know re water

I noticed some houses around the area have panels and I want to ask them but I'd also like specific things to ask them as I'm a stranger knocking on their door. They're not our direct neighbors and I don't live in a Jewish area

Living Princess

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 3:14 pm
wifeandmore wrote:
Thanks
No I live in New York so def not sunny all year
Good to know re water

I noticed some houses around the area have panels and I want to ask them but I'd also like specific things to ask them as I'm a stranger knocking on their door. They're not our direct neighbors and I don't live in a Jewish area

Try googling your questions.

wifeandmore

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 4:23 pm
I googled a lot and had companies come down.
I'd love to hear from real honest ppl, real honest reviews!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics