Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Are solar eclipses like potato chips?

patzer

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:12 pm
I recently read that a former astrophysicist from NASA said that solar eclipses are like potato chips: Immediately after eating one, you want another one. Smile
I find that to be true. Within hours of Monday's solar eclipse, I was googling maps of Spain and looking at eclipse maps for 2026. Very Happy
Anyone else?

dena613

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:15 pm
There's supposed to be am eclipse this summer in Southern or Central smerica. It isn't totality?

patzer

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:25 pm
dena613 wrote:
There's supposed to be am eclipse this summer in Southern or Central smerica. It isn't totality?

No. There will be an annular eclipse this October. But the next total solar eclipse will be in August 2026.

doctorima

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:04 pm
August 2026 will be in Spain and small parts of Iceland and Greenland. The 2027 one is more accessible, including Morocco and Gibraltar (as well as as 6+ minutes in Egypt, but I'm not making any travel plans that involve Egypt right now). 2044 will be briefly in Montana and North Dakota.

Sadly the 20245 one that everyone is excited about because it covers much of America will be on Shabbos, which will make it impossible to relocate at the last minute, or to photograph. At least Miami will be in totality, which would be fine in the winter, but it's in August!

Bleemee

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:05 pm
doctorima wrote:
August 2026 will be in Spain and small parts of Iceland and Greenland. The 2027 one is more accessible, including Morocco and Gibraltar (as well as as 6+ minutes in Egypt, but I'm not making any travel plans that involve Egypt right now). 2044 will be briefly in Montana and North Dakota.

Sadly the 20245 one that everyone is excited about because it covers much of America will be on Shabbos, which will make it impossible to relocate at the last minute, or to photograph. At least Miami will be in totality, which would be fine in the winter, but it's in August!

Why would someone relocate at last minute?

patzer

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:02 pm
doctorima wrote:

Oh dear, that is disappointing! Crying
Especially when you consider that August is hurricane season in Miami - not the best time for an eclipse trip. And consider, too, that if you're in a place where you can't carry outdoors on Shabbos, transporting or even wearing eclipse glasses would be a problem.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:09 pm
I just witnessed the total eclipse and it was cool, but now that I’ve experienced one I have no desire to run around and do it again. I’ve checked it off my list.

amother
Clover

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:52 pm
Bleemee wrote:
Why would someone relocate at last minute?

Bad weather forecast

My friend had made plans months ago to be in Upstate NY for this eclipse. When they started forecasting cloudy weather, she changed her plans and drove all the way from NYC to northeast Vermont with her kids to get better views. They got up at 3 AM Monday morning to make the drive in one day since they couldn't get a hotel room anywhere nearby.

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 10:16 pm
We went to see the 2017 eclipse and immediately after seeing that one declared we're going to make the next one happen. I felt like it didn't satisfy me.

Now that we bh got to see two already, I wouldn't expend much effort to get to another one. This one somehow did satisfy me.

boat

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 10:39 pm
patzer wrote:
Are solar eclipses like potato chips?

Nah
But it's a good rhyme

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 12:29 am
An in depth list of where the next few eclipses will be worldwide and where to get the best view:

https://www.space.com/next-10-.....-2034

Some of them will only be accessible via boat!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics