Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Everyone raises their rates sky high, but salary stays same
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 11:35 am
So I have a salaried job which is not negotiable. Everyone around me is raising rates sky high, but my salary stays the same. So the babysitter and the playgroup and the therapist and the sheitel macher etc are all raising their rates "because my expenses went up". Well, my expenses also went up and I am not suddenly getting a raise.
Anyone else who can relate??

I recently opted out of a certain "extra" we used to do because she raised her rates too high and it became unaffordable. I hope people realize that by raising their rates so high (almost double what she used to charge), they are going to lose clients. Everyone's expenses are going up.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 11:50 am
I get it. There has to be a way to raise salaried rates. It isn't sustainable to stay with a salary that doesn't keep up with the times, in terms of reflecting current cost of living etc...

amother
Banana

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 11:57 am
Agree! My husband and I are both salaried so no raise in income at all, and all expenses have just gone up so high! It's really crazy

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 12:03 pm
I too am salaried. Work for a major national Healthcare company. We will be getting 2% come July.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 12:17 pm
I relate. I work for a public school and thankfully I am scheduled to get a decent raise next year but just hanging in there for now.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 12:33 pm
Agree. My salary won't be changing. And I can't change my job. People in our position are screwed. Thank you democrats.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 12:35 pm
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
I get it. There has to be a way to raise salaried rates. It isn't sustainable to stay with a salary that doesn't keep up with the times, in terms of reflecting current cost of living etc...

Eventually they will update salaries to cost of living, but that could take a couple of years...

amother
Clover

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 12:39 pm
Not sure what you mean.
Employers are offering crazy amounts now because many people are not interested in working since Covid.
Maybe look for a new job if your place is that much of a dead end job?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 12:44 pm
amother [ Clover ] wrote:
Not sure what you mean.
Employers are offering crazy amounts now because many people are not interested in working since Covid.
Maybe look for a new job if your place is that much of a dead end job?

Dead end job?? It's a great job bh and I have been here many years and make a good salary. But my salary will take a few years to adjust to cost of living and in the meantime, everyone around me is raising their rates just because they can. And not by a little bit. Tell me why someone is charging nearly double for a service. That's not the rate of inflation. But she is because she can. And not everyone can afford that.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 12:51 pm
I keep vacillating on whether its time to look for a new job. I finally got raise this past winter and percentage wise it was not terrible but I saw no benefit to it because every expense has gone up. I like my job it has a lot of benefits to me but it may be time to look elsewhere. I am not sure yet. Its a hard decision to make.

amother
Clover

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 1:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dead end job?? It's a great job bh and I have been here many years and make a good salary. But my salary will take a few years to adjust to cost of living and in the meantime, everyone around me is raising their rates just because they can. And not by a little bit. Tell me why someone is charging nearly double for a service. That's not the rate of inflation. But she is because she can. And not everyone can afford that.

A dead end job means somewhere that won't pay you as much as you think you should and could be getting elsewhere.
Other places are paying top dollar now.
Inflation is what it is, but it's not like you can't find something better paying.
I am sure if you leave your job they will pay a higher salary to whoever would replace you.
They might offer you more as well if you tell them you have another offer.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 1:11 pm
A dead end job means somewhere that won't pay you as much as you think you should and could be getting elsewhere.
Inflation is what it is, but it's not like you can't find something better paying.
I am sure if you leave your job they will pay a higher salary to whoever would replace you.

Nope. I am a public school teacher and salaries are black and white according to a chart from the the negotiated union contract. They wouldn't pay more to someone who replaces me and they don't have the option to offer more. That's just not how it works.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 1:17 pm

Sorry no, but it doesn't always work this way. Also I have been working towards a pension for the past 12 years and it makes no sense to leave now. But my salary isn't keeping up with inflation.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 1:18 pm

According to 2 financial consultants I spoke to, that's kind of narrow-minded thinking.
We're in an inflation now, but it also is looking more and more likely that we're heading towards a recession.
If companies slim down, then it's usually last in, first out. Meaning seniority and loyalty can be very helpful.
The consultants I spoke to all recommended keeping ones job, negotiating for a raise, and sitting tight until we can see more of what's going on.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:21 pm

So just out of curiosity, if one really has no intention of going anywhere (great coworker/work environment, conveniently located, great flexibility/hours…) do you recommend they lie about another offer or waste someone else’s time and effort making them interview you, negotiate a contract and typing up an offer (and maybe not hire someone else) when you have no actual intention of switching jobs?

miami85

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:31 pm
Hence the problem with a "federal minimum wage"--no matter what, SOMEONE is going to be the bottom, if you raise everyone higher--you never get anywhere and soon "$15" isn't worth more.

I am in a "government dependent" field. Compared to bigger cities my salary is a joke, compared to what else is available it's fairly respectable, but when we are depending on bigger cities (which have higher taxes) for our goods and services, it's hard to compete.

This is inflation.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 4:43 pm
With the recession coming, we should be grateful to have a job. Better a low salary than no job.

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:37 am
I work for an agency as a related service provider. Not only are we not getting raised next year but I am losing certain benefits which translated into very real money. I'm so torn if I should leave or stay. The other agencies don't seem to be offering anything better and getting a job outside of an agency in my profession in my particular city is not so simple. I feel stuck at this rate which never gets raised. I've had this same salary more or less for the past 7 years, and that was after taking a huge pay cut from what I was getting when I lived in the tri-state area.
The cost of living in my city, especially in the frum area, has gotten so high it's in par with living in the tri-state. So I'm paying tri-state expenses with an OOT salary.... I feel so stuck. But this is where emunah comes in. Davening that Hashem will guide me on the right path...

amother
Gray

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 12:21 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
With the recession coming, we should be grateful to have a job. Better a low salary than no job.

Depends where you live. Some people may actually be better off with no job and being able to collect unemployment and benefits.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 12:26 pm
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
I work for an agency as a related service provider. Not only are we not getting raised next year but I am losing certain benefits which translated into very real money. I'm so torn if I should leave or stay. The other agencies don't seem to be offering anything better and getting a job outside of an agency in my profession in my particular city is not so simple. I feel stuck at this rate which never gets raised. I've had this same salary more or less for the past 7 years, and that was after taking a huge pay cut from what I was getting when I lived in the tri-state area.
The cost of living in my city, especially in the frum area, has gotten so high it's in par with living in the tri-state. So I'm paying tri-state expenses with an OOT salary.... I feel so stuck. But this is where emunah comes in. Davening that Hashem will guide me on the right path...

I'm an agency therapist as well. It's a horrible field. I don't even understand how it's possible for a job to have literally zero raises ever. The rate you start out as a new graduate is the same rate you will be getting 3 decades later.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics