Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Info on the name Sultana?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:45 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
This is fascinating.

Is he or she literally named Barley in English?

Is there some reason for having been given the name?

She is literally named Barley. (Her mother isn't Jewish, and her father doesn't care that he is, so no Jewish significance or Hebrew name.)

I've no idea why they chose that name. They liked it, I suppose.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:55 pm
I met someone called Sultarna once. She wasn't jewish and I kept thinking in my mind sultana, which as others have said is a type of raisin. Sorry op, I wouldn't give such a name.

samantha87

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:56 pm
DrMom wrote:
In Hebrew, fruit names are more accepted (Tamar, Einav, Shaked, Hadar).

But it only works for some fruits. I don't know anybody named Tapuz or Tapuach or Ananas.

Yet - you can start the trend.

amother
Latte

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 2:09 pm
I know someone called sultana. She doesn't go by that name ever, most people don't know its her name. When I found out my first reaction was raisins.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 3:01 pm
First reaction to the thread title was raisins - sorry! I do see how it would be a pretty name without that connotation though

sultana

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 3:39 pm
Just saw this. My middle name is Sultana and I love it. It means Queen. I'm Ashkenaz by the way but my mother is Sephardic.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 3:48 pm
DrMom wrote:
Don't Brits call raisins "sultanas?"

Yes, referring to the white/light yellow raisins. Also south african call the sultanas.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 3:49 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
How about splitting the baby (figuratively) and using Malka Sultana or Sultana Malka?

The woman who founded the high school I went to is named Sultana. That's what she goes by, don't know if she has another name. She's frum, I think FFB.
You say Sultana, I think Sultana ______. I don't think raisin lol.
She's maybe in her 60s now. Plus minus.
It's a pretty name, I always assumed it had Sefardic roots.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 4:01 pm
DrMom wrote:

Brit here… um dried grapes? Those are just raisins! Never heard of sultana

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 4:02 pm
Sultana is, in israel, something to be considered as a very old moroccan woman's name. I'm talking about the category of name like Fortuna, Sultana, Perla. If you live in israel this is a name that most people will say/think "what on earth did you have in mind when you named your daughter?!"
Sultana may have been an acceptable name in Morocco or other Muslim countries. It does *not* fly in israel.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:16 pm
There was a girl in my school when I was growing up named Sultana. (USA).
Looking back now I realize she was of Persian origin. I did not realize it at the time.

I would never have thought of raisins.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:20 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Sultana is, in israel, something to be considered as a very old moroccan woman's name. I'm talking about the category of name like Fortuna, Sultana, Perla. If you live in israel this is a name that most people will say/think "what on earth did you have in mind when you named your daughter?!"
Sultana may have been an acceptable name in Morocco or other Muslim countries. It does *not* fly in israel.

What is wrong with an old Moroccan name?
Syrians use old Arabic names all the time. I also know plenty of Fortunas that go by Tunie.
I happen to even know a Sultana that goes by Tani.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:51 pm
Obviously, I think it is a wonderful name!

JK. It sounds pretty old fashioned or like a food item.

There is a kellogs cereal called sultana bran.

Odd that some brits have never heard of sultanas, personally I only cook with or eat regular raisins since those are the ones that come with a hechsher (sunmaid) so maybe that is why you haven't heard of them?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:51 pm
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
What is wrong with an old Moroccan name?
Syrians use old Arabic names all the time. I also know plenty of Fortunas that go by Tunie.
I happen to even know a Sultana that goes by Tani.

If you live in the US it's not a problem. In Israel it's associated with very old women. a generation of immigrants coming from Arab countries with a heavy arabic influence and a lot of negative associations around it.
Because of the aliya waves in israel and historical social tensions a number of sfardi names here aren't popular today. Maybe in sfardi chareidi circles they still use it as a second name but I doubt it.
You named your child Sultana in israel she will be laughingstock among her peers. Adults will question what on earth your parents were thinking.

4g01o

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:58 pm
DrMom wrote:

They're a type of raisan Smile dark ones are raisans, the light yellow ish ones are sultanas so yes I thought of sultana raisans when I read your name idea and found it strange. Sorry.

4g01o

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:00 pm
amother [ Birch ] wrote:
Brit here… um dried grapes? Those are just raisins! Never heard of sultana

I have. The yellow ones are sultanas. I have them in my pantry now. Ever heard of sultana bran cereal?

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:09 pm
Unless you live in very eclectic circles, please (since you asked) do NOT use that as her main name.

Do something like Malka Sultana etc.

That is IF you have to give it at all (which does not sound like the case).

There are many names that I “like and/or love” but are not accepted as normal in my community and would NEVER name my child any of them. How is that fair?

And to boot, it’s not kadosh (holy) biblical name from Tanach. You are thinking of using a secular (Arabic, Persian, Moroccan or whatever origin) for no reason.

If it was a cherished, beloved grandmother, I would give as a middle name only out of respect.

But to just pick it and straddle a child with it… oy.

Hey , you asked, and thats my opinion.

Btw, I happen to like the name but again…see above.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:11 pm
I love the name. Maybe you can give another name with it.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it unaccepted for ashkenazim to give sephardi names..? Is that crazy or do people do that?

Is it after a relative? Or did you want Malka but there's still a living bubby?
Or do you just like it and it'll be acceptable?
They're all good. B'shaa tova!

ETA: I saw your 12:01 post where you cover all the bases.
I have a hunch you might not use it after all this. I'd leave raisins aside. I do know Sultanas, young ones too, but it really needs to be something your daughter will ultimately be comfortable with.

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:31 pm
Some older names are making a comeback ; think Saidie or Saydie. That is an old, old name, yet I know at least 4 saidies under 15 years old!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names