Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Overwhelmed with idea of cooking milchigs
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:12 pm
tichellady wrote:
If anyone is confused they can ask a question to their rabbi . It’s very mainstream to use a colander on yomtov when making pasta. Not a weird minority opinion. It’s mainstream to use a peeler on yomtov, even on Shabbos for certain things. Ra mom doesn’t need to defend what she said

Thanks for clarifying.
It makes sense. If one uses a peeler or box grater why not a colander. Amazing that I've never needed to on yom tov all these years.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:18 pm
Just to clarify: different melachos have different halachos
A grater is for tochein which is only ok in certain situations and shinuyim would be applicable as necessary
A colander is for boreir which is always ok in the easiest way possible on YT without a utensil. With a utensil, it depends if it's considered one for large quantities or not. I guess that's the confusion regarding the colander which I quoted upthread as being ok according to some sources. Maybe others hold differently. But no shinuyim needed.
A can opener is for koreia, possibly maka b'patish. I haven't heard that that's different than on Shabbos, the can must be destroyed first to make it not a kli...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:20 pm
According to R' Moshe, a peeler is just a knife that's easier to use, and therefore some use it on Shabbos.
Many who don't hold like this are ok with it on YT because boreir is less of a concern and it's the easiest way to remove a peel.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:21 pm
Clearly there are differences of opinion. See misc halachos c https://ohr.edu/3467

OTOH when I just googled I saw a Chabad site that seems to indicate yes but it didn't open.

So if someone has a mesorah, go ahead.

If someone's on a desert island, you have whom to rely on.

If you're sure you learned otherwise, double check with someone IRL first.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:27 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Clearly there are differences of opinion. See misc halachos c https://ohr.edu/3467

OTOH when I just googled I saw a Chabad site that seems to indicate yes but it didn't open.

So if someone has a mesorah, go ahead.

If someone's on a desert island, you have whom to rely on.

If you're sure you learned otherwise, double check with someone IRL first.

Look at SSK 4:6
Many poskim permit pasta strainers 🙂
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics