Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Recipe for yemenite challah???
1  2  Next

Akeres Habayis

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 3:32 pm
I had the best challah last shabbos,I want to make it again.does anyone have a cookbook that explains step by step how to make it??

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 3:34 pm
are there essential differences? 've never tasted this.

Akeres Habayis

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 3:42 pm
u can't even imagine how different.its soo good.I probably will have to go buy it but wanted to try and make it myself.its very sweet like cake and moist.

faigie

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 3:07 pm
if I am correct, I seem to remember something from when I was a kid,, if this is the same challah,, baked on top of the stove on the blech till shabbat morning???
oh was it goooood

GetReal

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 4:11 pm
The "A Taste of Challah" cookbook has two yemenite recipes. One is a flat, pita-like bread called Saluf. The other one is fluffier and is called Kubana. Do you want me to post either/both of them?

chavamom

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 4:16 pm
Doesn't kubana take a special pot to steam it?

GetReal

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 4:18 pm
never made it, never ate it, but the recipe here says you can either use a special pot or any over-proof pot with a cover.

faigie

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 4:23 pm
posy please.. this one was high, not flat, kinda oily I think, but good

GetReal

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 5:27 pm
Kubana

50 grams fresh yeast or 2 1/2 T instant dry yeast
5-6 cups warm water
1 1/2 T sugar
2 T + 1 tsp salt
2 T oil
7 cups (1 kilo) whole wheat flour
6 cups white flour

Activate yeast with one cup water and 1 T sugar.

Mix sugar, salt, oil, 2 cups water and 2 cups ww flour. Add the yeast mixture. Mix well. Add the rest of the flour and water until a smooth, doughy mixture is formed. It will be somewhat sticky at first. Separate challah with a bracha.

Cover the bowl and let rise for 10-15 minutes. Knead again briefly and let it rise, covered, for 1 hour, until it is doubled in size.

Pull of handfuls of dough and roll them into balls. Roll each ball in a bowl of flour.

There is a special Kubana pot, however, this recipe can be made in any good pot that has a cover and is ovenproof.

To bake in the oven, coat the bottom of the pot with a layer of oil, not too fine, not too thick - about one inch deep. Place the balls of dough into the pot in a circle, with one ball in the center. It will resemble a flower.

Cover the pot with its lid and allow it to rise for 30 minutes. While it is rising, preheat the over to 350. Bake, covered, for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown on all sides.

Uncover and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the top is browned as well. Flip it out of the pot and let it cool on a wire rack. Wrap well in plastic and freeze until use.

To bake on a stovetop, arrange the dough balls the same way in the oiled pot. Allow to rise for 30 minutes. Cover tightly with its lid and allow it to simmer on a small flame, covered the whole time, for 45-50 minutes.

Then, flip it out of the pot and place it, right-side/flower-side up, on a baking tray and bake for another 15 minutes at 350, until golden brown on top.

chavamom

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 5:34 pm
When we lived in Israel, the assistant gannenet was Yeminite and would bring in the left-over kubana on Sunday to share with the kids. They waited for this treat at aruchat eser every yom rishon. I wonder if my older kids would remember it if I made it now.

montrealmommy

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 9:10 pm
a very good friend made kubana once - I had to learn - I use the above recipe - it's WONDERFUL!!!!My friend gave me a fasmily secret 'tip' - when you take the "balls" roll each one out with a rolling pin then fold like an envelope - do this 3-5 times, then the last time, after you make the envelope, roll it like a cigar or ball it up - then place it in the pan. It gives the kubana the doughy layering -

Also, as for baking dish - My friend made it in disposable 8" round pans (covered with foil until right before the end, she likes a crunchy crust!) - works great.

Quote:
if I am correct, I seem to remember something from when I was a kid,, if this is the same challah,, baked on top of the stove on the blech till shabbat morning???
I don't know if this can be done with kubana, but I do this with Jachnun - also a yemenite dish, more pastry like then bready - we serve it in lieu of kishke (and potato kugel, as it's all carbs and fat!)

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 6:02 am
mmm.. kubana.. magical.

Yes

Akeres Habayis

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 7:57 am
oh my gosh getreal that sounds like it!!!
I'm going to try and make it,u think if I "half" the recipe it would come out the same???
I'm going to try it tonight b'ezrat Hashem.

Akeres Habayis

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 7:59 am
as it's all carbs and fat!
it may be montrealmommy but its KEDUSHA CARBS AND FAT LOL LOL LOL
I dreamed of this all week,I'm so excited to make it

faigie

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 8:50 am
please may I also have the recipe for the Jachnun?
question please,,,,,,,,, with the above recipe howmany of those round 8" tins of kubana does it make? im thinking of those 8" round tins that are like 2" high? are those the ones you use?

Tamiri

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 10:33 am
For Kubana (Akeres, I never saw it used as challa so ask if you can make a hamotzi on it - they use shabbat pitot for lechem mishneh) you need a tall pot, not a 2" tin. The kubabn comes out very high and fluffy; think of the height of a tube pan - that's about it.
It's very very oily as written. Only the Yemenites get skinny eating it :(

Seraph

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 10:45 am
Tamiri, the reason temanim and sfardim dont use kubaneh for hamotzi, is because for sfardim, its mezonos. For ashkenazim, its hamotzi.

Akeres Habayis

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 1:32 pm
I was going to make my own challah in addition to it.

montrealmommy

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 5:59 pm
feigie - I don't know how many pans she uses, and I haven't made it in a while so I don't remember but the 2" ones make the kubana look like a cupcake or muchroom as it grows over the edges, 3-4" (or a high cake round) would be better, IMO.

As for the oil - I put very little - it's oilier than my reg. challah - but not dripping

As for the Jachnun - I hate to say it, but I cheat and buy the ready made frozen ones. Then put them on the blech (or onto of the cholent pot) over night

Quote:
it may be montrealmommy but its KEDUSHA CARBS AND FAT
Salut Thumbs Up Yes AND sOOOOO worth it!

GetReal

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 6:24 pm
faigie wrote:
please may I also have the recipe for the Jachnun?
question please,,,,,,,,, with the above recipe howmany of those round 8" tins of kubana does it make? im thinking of those 8" round tins that are like 2" high? are those the ones you use?

Will IY"H post the jachnun recipe soon.

I never made either recipe, I just got the cookbook as a present and have only tried one or two recipes. In the pictures, the pot looks higher than 2", so prob. a higher pot would be better.

However makes this recipe, please let me know if it's worth trying!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads