Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Texas Shooting
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Petra

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:09 am
imachild wrote:
don't schools have security guards?

I believe there was a security guard who tried to stop him.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:25 am
I'm literally nauseous from this. There's been so many gun deaths lately, but children should be sacred. 18 dead children just hits differently.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 3:06 am
IMHopinion wrote:
I absolutely think kids heads are being filled up with so much garbage these days, instead of what’s really important, in school and on TV.

Yes.

Let’s assume for the moment that these kids’ heads were being filled with garbage.

How did this get them killed?

blondie

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 3:31 am
I think she means the shooters are a result of an educational system that taught them garbage, not the victims.

salt

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 3:48 am
barelyawake wrote:
This is your first question???

quote="Jewish??
[/quote]

Fair enough question if the first time you're hearing this news is from an imamother post.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 4:55 am
The shooter bought the gun legally the minute he turned 18. Crying

Does not seem racially motivated, both shooter and victims (those whose names have been released) names sound Latino in origin. (and the town is decribed as mostly Latino) Just another random mass shooting on a regular tuesday in the USA, where guns and money are worth more than 8 year olds.

Very similar to Sandy Hook - in this case he shot his grandmother before the school.

seltzermom

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:46 am
Besides for gun control we need to take stock and better understand what makes a young person do this.
Prevention is everything.
What did this young adult experience as a baby and as a child that led to him wanting to murder so many people.
His face is cold, no warmth of attachment that I could see.
So sad. Don’t want to even think of the grief involved.

GiGichai

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:22 am
Why do we have so many guns? It's horrible!
I'm firmly republican but enough is enough! Noone who is 18 needed a gun to defend themselves! And absolutely NOONE besides the army should be allowed legally to own a machine gun!
I dont know the solution but NRA has alot to answer for (apparently they are raising millions of dollars right now for texas...sounds like guilt money to me)

sushilover

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:34 am
Crookshanks wrote:
I'm literally nauseous from this. There's been so many gun deaths lately, but children should be sacred. 18 dead children just hits differently.

Same.

sushilover

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:42 am
GiGichai wrote:
Why do we have so many guns? It's horrible!
I'm firmly republican but enough is enough! Noone who is 18 needed a gun to defend themselves! And absolutely NOONE besides the army should be allowed legally to own a machine gun!
I dont know the solution but NRA has alot to answer for (apparently they are raising millions of dollars right now for texas...sounds like guilt money to me)

Wait. What?
Just a few years ago, the ACLU worked to stop a law preventing people with a history of mental illness from buying guns. Do you believe the ACLU has "a lot to answer for"? Or is it only the big, bad, scary NRA that is evil for upholding constitutional rights?

singleagain

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:46 am
Posting a a mod: if this thread gets political, I will lock it for it to be restarted in politics. Please be mindful that this thread is in the "in the news" forum

sequoia

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:56 am
It won’t stop until there’s a total media blackout on school shootings. Zero attention.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:23 am
sequoia wrote:
It won’t stop until there’s a total media blackout on school shootings. Zero attention.

How do you not report on the fact that 19 children and 2 teachers were murdered in cold blood?

sequoia

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:28 am
DrMom wrote:
How do you not report on the fact that 19 children and 2 teachers were murdered in cold blood?

Right?...

But it’s the only way.

Each one is trying to imitate and one-up the previous ones. Knowing they won’t get any posthumous attention is the only thing that *might* stop them.

There was an article on this topic a few years ago, but I don’t think I could find it.

GiGichai

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:38 am
A child/adult who is mentally unstable enough to murder 20 people is not doing it for attention posthumously. One article does not explain anything.
We cannot safely allow access to guns to so many people.
The constitution isn't toras Moshe misinai. Holding on to laws that make this place unsafe is an oxymoron. There has to be a total freeze (like a timeout for children with bad behavior) on selling guns to ANYBODY until we can have a reasonable/practical way for healthy adults own adults and put tracking devices on each gun and each bullet. If they come together, an alarm sounds at the police or something. There is seriously enough technology in this day and age that I'm sure the NRA can figure out something.
Constitutional rights is NOT an excuse anymore when there is a need and a way to figure out who has the guns and bullets at ALL times in this day and age.

ora_43

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:40 am
GiGichai wrote:
A child/adult who is mentally unstable enough to murder 20 people is not doing it for attention posthumously.

Why else would they be doing it? Yes, mentally unstable, but why does the mental instability take this particular form?

ora_43

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:45 am
I respect the politicization of this topic. It gets politicized because people want to actually solve the problem. And any realistic solution needs to be society-wide, ie - political.

But I'll try not to get political on this thread.

I'll just say, while I think there are a lot of good ways to try to reduce shooters' motivation - and most of them would be good in and of themselves (eg more funding for mental health resources) - what's needed is a two-pronged approach that also works to stop people who are motivated to commit a mass shooting from actually doing it.

chestnut

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:47 am
sequoia wrote:

Impossible

exaustedmom

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:59 am
"Friends said he was a quiet kid who was bullied and had become increasingly unstable and violent as he got older, purchasing two rifles for his 18th birthday earlier this month - one of which was found in the school"

STMommy

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 9:03 am
1. He had been bullied as a child for a speech impediment.
2. He was being raised by his mother who was a drug addict.
3. He played violent video games like Fortnite in all his spare time.
4. When he started experimenting with his appearance (black eyeliner for example) he started getting bullied using offensive terms for gay people.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics