Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How to make it out of this month alive!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Dahlia

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
for now its mostly my income until dh gets paid more steady iyh
we get paid once a month at the end of the month.
im going to do evals over the summer iyh and maybe some EI cases in the evening iyh waiting to hear back from the company

It's a good idea to do some EI. It pays more. I personally do not do it even though I was offered it, because I cannot tolerate working with babies. I have zero patience for it and would be a horrible therapist. But if its up your alley then definitely go for it.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:10 pm
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
I just want to point out one thing about this post- DO NOT switch from a w2 to a 1099 if you are in your childbearing years. NYS now offers paid family leave after you have a baby. You get 67% of your income for 12 weeks. It is an amazing benefit, but you cannot get it on a 1099.
I know a few therapists (not just speech, also social work and OT) who did not realize this and were not able to get the benefits.

Thanks! Yes Ihad an interview yesterday with a different agency (im sending my resume off to a million people) and they told me they're a 1099 Sad They emailed me assuming I want to take the job but I have no interest now.

Also, for my baby I actually didnt qualify for family leave bc I wasnt there long enough. I got 170$ a week for 6 weeks....
So how does it work if I start a new job? I wont qualify unless I worked there over a year? I dont want to push off having a baby so I can qualify for paid family leave

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:11 pm
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
It's a good idea to do some EI. It pays more. I personally do not do it even though I was offered it, because I cannot tolerate working with babies. I have zero patience for it and would be a horrible therapist. But if its up your alley then definitely go for it.

Honestly I dont really know too much about EI.
My own baby isn't talking yet and I feel like a bad mom/therapist.
How does being an RSA work? You mentioned it earlier

amother
Dahlia

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! Yes Ihad an interview yesterday with a different agency (im sending my resume off to a million people) and they told me they're a 1099 Sad They emailed me assuming I want to take the job but I have no interest now.

Also, for my baby I actually didnt qualify for family leave bc I wasnt there long enough. I got 170$ a week for 6 weeks....
So how does it work if I start a new job? I wont qualify unless I worked there over a year? I dont want to push off having a baby so I can qualify for paid family leave

Yes you need to have worked for a year in order to get PFL (otherwise people would take advantage, and then just take a job for 3 months before they have a baby). That's one of the reasons that it's really worthwhile to stick with the same agency.

A diff agency once offered me $75 an hour on a 1099. It wasn't worth it for me because a w2 really had a lot of tax benefits (you pay more taxes on a 1089) also that other agency required very time consuming paperwork

Obviously I can't tell you what to do about getting pregnant. But pregnancy is 9 months, so as long as you work at a job 3 months before you get pregnant and then work throughout the pregnancy you should be fine

greenteaorange

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 5:14 am
In New York you only need to be at a. Job for 26 weeks which is about 6.5 months to qualify for paid family leave .
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics