Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How to make it out of this month alive!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 9:48 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
Im not q rav obviously but when we were drowning financially we made a commitment to be really careful about paying maaser. We ain't rich but we have what we need. Every time our finances slip I realize we fell behind on maaser.

It makes no logical sense to have more after giving hundreds of dollars but im far from the only one with this experience. SLP...kollel....its all the same in the eyes of Hashem. May your yeshua come quickly. I've lived through real poverty and I know how crushing it it. Thinking of you.

We were told not to give maaser atm. We used to give and were very makpid to give. It is hard for me that we can not give but we do not have the money for it. Id rather be able to put food on the table. We dont even have what we need. I cant even afford a new bottle brush to wash my babys bottle im using a gross one from pesach. My husband has a follow up appt next week for a few weeks its 160$ a week. No insurance

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 9:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We were told not to give maaser atm. We used to give and were very makpid to give. It is hard for me that we can not give but we do not have the money for it. Id rather be able to put food on the table. We dont even have what we need. I cant even afford a new bottle brush to wash my babys bottle im using a gross one from pesach. My husband has a follow up appt next week for a few weeks its 160$ a week. No insurance

I feel for you. I reallu do. Its so hard 😫!! Keep davening, Hashem can do anything. And please stop beating yourself up that you're an Slp. You made what you thought was a good choice. Hashem is in control...believe that miracles really do happen. Daven for good opportunities...you never know what will come your way. Hoping to hear good news soon!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 9:53 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
I feel for you. I reallu do. Its so hard 😫!! Keep davening, Hashem can do anything. And please stop beating yourself up that you're an Slp. You made what you thought was a good choice. Hashem is in control...believe that miracles really do happen. Daven for good opportunities...you never know what will come your way. Hoping to hear good news soon!

thank you soo much for the kind words. I hope to report back with good news soon too iyh.
I did think slp was a good choice. I should have done sheitals or been a secretary or morah. at least if I was a morah id get klei kodesh benefits

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 9:56 pm
If you are an slp can you take on cases at night/weekends? Or even just do some regular tutoring?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 9:59 pm
What abiut switching to an office job temp? It makes more money..

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you soo much for the kind words. I hope to report back with good news soon too iyh.
I did think slp was a good choice. I should have done sheitals or been a secretary or morah. at least if I was a morah id get klei kodesh benefits

Im a morah...there are no Klei kodesh benefits. Hashem led me to a second job that has more potential....please stop doubting yourself and use that energy in a positive way. Obsessing over the past gets us nowhere. Open your eyes to opportunity!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:07 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
What abiut switching to an office job temp? It makes more money..

how do I find out about these jobs and whats the pay like?

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. What do you guys do?
Can you believe im a speech therapist.... so upsetting why I went into this field

I don’t want to out myself so I’d prefer not to give details, but is a speech therapist such a bad job? I thought they do ok..

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:09 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I don’t want to out myself so I’d prefer not to give details, but is a speech therapist such a bad job? I thought they do ok..

Not at all. We dont make any money. people need to stop pushing it on girls. It does not make nearly enough to support a family
Unless you work for DOE which is hard to come by

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:14 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:

Do a search on this site you will read conflicting opinions. Bottom line is if you are an slp and work 10-2, 4 days a week for not even 10 months a year you won't end up a millionaire. If you put long hours in you can make decent pay but probably still won't be a millionaire.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:17 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:

Not a good job at all. There are plenty of threads about it here Smile while a few slp's have done well, the general consensus is that it is not worth it

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:19 pm
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
Not a good job at all. There are plenty of threads about it here Smile while a few slp's have done well, the general consensus is that it is not worth it

dahlia are u a school based slp? how much does ur agency pay?

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:21 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
Do a search on this site you will read conflicting opinions. Bottom line is if you are an slp and work 10-2, 4 days a week for not even 10 months a year you won't end up a millionaire. If you put long hours in you can make decent pay but probably still won't be a millionaire.

I work long hours and cannot say the pay is decent. "Long hours" can mean doing 60+ therapy sessions per week, which is incredibly draining and difficult. I did it when we needed the money, but I cannot say I was all that great of. a therapist when plowing through so many sessions. And the paperwork afterwards is a killer.

IRL I find that the ones who are happy with the field are the ones whose husbands are very successful in their parnassah, and they are not relying much on the SLP salary. Its just an extra.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
dahlia are u a school based slp? how much does ur agency pay?

Agency pays 65 an hour. I work in a school. I also take RSA's during evenings/sundays

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:25 pm

Who’s talking millionaire
Op can’t put food on the table
She can’t pay her rent, bills, etc
Op can you get on any govt program, WIC, health insurance.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:29 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

Exactly this. You would think that after getting a MASTERS degree, for heaven's sake, she would at least be able to afford the basics! It doesn't sound like OP only works 10-2

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:40 pm
It's almost summer. Most agency therapists are off summer. Can you get an office job for the summer, and if you see you make more money maybe you can switch jobs. This would be a great time to start looking for something as the year is winding down.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:51 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

so I have medicaid bh
yes to wic but thats not so helpful its 24$ a month of fruits and vegetables, milk, eggs...
no government programs
no food stamps
no vouchers

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:05 pm
It's almost summer. Most agency therapists are off summer. Can you get an office job for the summer, and if you see you make more money maybe you can switch jobs. This would be a great time to start looking for something as the year is winding down.

It's just so crazy that after years of hard work in school and 90k in loans OP cannot even make it financially. Crazy to drop a degree so soon after graduating. It's not like, oh I by mistake bought a rotten apple so I'm gonna throw it out. It's a 90k degree!!! if only she (and the rest of us) would have had this info a few years ago.

I wish more people would know before going into the field just how bad it is. I have so many friends and colleagues in the same boat. I just hope that all this publicity on imamother will encourage moms to discourage their daughters from going into this field (unless they really really enjoy it and think this is their life's calling)

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:12 pm
OP, how many hours do you work? And what is your paycheck amount?.I am confused because I am an SLP and while I don't live in NJ or NY, thier are many jobs and cases available where I live and you can make decent money if you work...
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics